Haddock51

Suspension bridge

Where can I find pictures of suspension bridges built in Lego? Estimated  length: approx. 1 meter.

Edited by Haddock51

I would think just do an internet search for images of it or on youtube.

I remember seeing pictures of someone taking a couple of Spiderman bridge sets #76057 and making a bridge out of it.

There is also someone that makes videos of bridges over a pool and running his trains across it.

Edited by CSW652

I think this is who you mean:

I also like the ones in the Texas Brick Railroad layouts but of course SavaTheAggie, Michael Gale and everyone will know an endless amount more about them than I do from the pictures. However, there are a lot more bridges out there than show up on a Google. I would suggest looking at the big US, UK, German and Australian LUG shows for various examples over the years.

Edited by NotToScale

Ages ago I came up with this idea for a bridge:

800x450.jpg

The problem is that it doesn't have a even brick (or plate? been a while) spacing top-to-bottom, making it very difficult to integrate into a layout. In terms of color, making it out of red beams allows you to use red 3-long Technic pins with axle hole and get a better overall look.

Fig 6e here

could do it - but you would need to use monorail track - which apparently is a sin :wink:

Best wishes,
Thorsten

6 hours ago, Toastie said:

could do it - but you would need to use monorail track - which apparently is a sin

Well, there was a recent post (past month?) with a very nice bridge using roller coaster track.

Anyway, jumping back to the original post, none of the examples are suspension bridges (not even the one I'm about to give). From what I've seen most "true" suspension bridges in lego tend to sag. I would suggest building a bridge with a rigid frame below or on the sides that actually carries most of the weight, then use the suspension mostly for looks. I personally like a 6 wide box beam: 6xn plate, 1x4x3 panels along the outside, another 6xn plate and then the rails. Very rigid and light. I don't have any great photos, but here's a mediocre shot if you can't visualize my description.

Lego Golden Gate Suspension Bridge at Museum of Science and Industry.... 

Beyond the Brick has videos of several others.

Alex Nunes has a nice bridge in his city... 

Edited by CSW652

Thanks a lot for all replies so far.

Some clarifications:

The intention is to build a passenger bridge - not a railway bridge - that will connect two separate platforms along the high level track in my Lego room (see Lego Train 9V Extreme - ready!) One of the platforms is a train  station with a base for two sightseeing helicopters, the other one is a cableway top station. The distance between these two platforms is not decided yet. The bridge will probably be 96-112 studs long.

Very much in line with @zephyr1934s suggestion, I am planning to build a bridge - 8 studs wide - with a rigid frame that actually can carry most of the weight, and then use the suspension mostly for looks.

I remember having seen a beautiful suspension bridge many years ago at a Lego World exhibition in Copenhagen, but unfortunately I can´t find the pictures anymore.

Edited by Haddock51