jrx

[MOC] Hydraulic slewing crane T157/1

Hey guys, I want to introduce my latest MOC: The hydraulic slewing crane “T 157/1” – a crane (or rather an excavator or “loader”) that was developed and built in the former GDR. Actually, the machine is quite ugly, but somehow it fascinated me and I had to build it in LEGO® Technic.

48902485041_2dc02d7af6_z.jpg

That's the real excavator (and it's really ugly …):

31927255508_dafe539933_z.jpg

The excavator is completely mechanical or pneumatic and of course fully functional. Therefore it drives, steers and excavates. The challenges during construction were on the one hand the really limited space (of course I wanted to accommodate all functions) and on the other hand the unusual construction of the front axle. The latter also cost me a few evenings and many tests. Also for the tires at the front I had to come up with something. LEGO® doesn't have suitable wheels in its range. The solution: I mounted the balloon tyres 68.8×40 on the Technic 43.2×26 rim, which was actually too small. And lo and behold, it worked and looks great. Also the construction was very fiddly due to the limited space. So the pneumatic pump had to find place underneath the excavator as well as the turning wheel for the rotating construction of the excavator. But in the end it fitted.

48902686977_28dfe66502_z.jpg

Thanks to the new pneumatic valves, I was able to build real joysticks. Therefore: Each of the sticks in the "cockpit" really controls the functions of the model. And even if it was tight, there was enough room for a few details like V-belt, tank and exhaust.

48902485236_dcc87cd710_z.jpg 48902485301_d85119eb91_z.jpg

48902484641_da18c05c25_z.jpg

Finally my excavator in action:

Very unexpected model. It represents the real tractor good, it works - good model. I see some weak points (like "struts" in front suspension), but this model isn't about extreme stiffness and etc. Or tell me I've understood you wrong :)

Interesting thing - how many people can tell what blue part used to recreate a seat?) I already forgot these parts ever existed, although I have at least one set containing this blue parts)

Very original model, very original details, especially the seat and the detailed engine on the back.

I also like the way you control it with the new pneumatic valves, very realistic.

Thx you both!

1 hour ago, romashkaman said:

I see some weak points (like "struts" in front suspension), but this model isn't about extreme stiffness and etc. Or tell me I've understood you wrong :)

You're right. The model is not the most stable I built. It's more the look and the functions. But despite that it's stiff enough to play a little with it :)

I see that after several months (or even a year) you manage to finish it. Great effort Jan :thumbup:

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

I see that after several months (or even a year) you manage to finish it. Great effort Jan :thumbup:

It was finished since spring … :innocent: The video and the photos took me some time …

Just now, jrx said:

It was finished since spring … :innocent: The video and the photos took me some time …

I see, my friend. I have oposite situation, no time for Fastrac RC version 2, and telehandler medium size awaits 4 68.8x24 tires and Syn-trac waits for 2 servos to be tested and continued...

Currently I'm on one bigger project...

Regards

Good luck with all four projects! My next MOCs are in progress. 

Thank you Jan. Today I have finished about 1.1% of project that has highest priority because all data has to be multiply checked to be 100% sure.

Kind regards

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very original ...beautiful historical crane! :thumbup:

Thank you very much.  Such a nice compliment by a Grand Duke :blush: