Sign in to follow this  
Corellian Corvette

Is this a part or a building technique?

I'm trying (with my limited skillset) to replicate the Andromeda model that was built by marchetti36 in LDD. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10130710@N03/

I've been able to reverse-engineer much of the shape in LDD, but I'm stumped by one piece - and i'm not sure if it's a building techinque OR a new part I can't find in LDD (this model has several parts not available in LDD i've discovered)

In particular it's how there are two technic holes mounted facing upward (or outward in this case). He uses this in several places on the model.

It looks like some variant of 32530 (Technic, Pin Connector Plate 1 x 2 x 1 2/3 with 2 Holes). What's strange about this is if you look closely, there appears to be a "base" of some sort that would suggest this is a single piece. It also fits perfectly in the 1x2 space of the normal brick (also suggesting this is a piece)

The only way I could think to build this would be to take 2x 15100 (Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Pin Hole) and mount them to a 1x2 32000 technic brick - but that would not fit perfectly in the 1x2 space. It also won't work in some of the other areas this part is placed.

marchetti36 is a genius and it's been quite a task to figure out some of his techniques, but this one really has me stumped.

Thanks!

Capture_Parts.JPG

My first thought is that it's a bracket (99781) with 2 small Technic pin connectors (18654) pushed onto the studs.  I agree that it looks like there's a tile or something underneath them, and connected with a bracket that way would allow for that and I think would line up with the positioning shown there.

Looks to me like the 1M Technic pin connectors are attached to a 1x2 SNOT brick, maybe with some empty space underneath to prevent collisions.

1 hour ago, deraven said:

My first thought is that it's a bracket (99781) with 2 small Technic pin connectors (18654) pushed onto the studs.  I agree that it looks like there's a tile or something underneath them, and connected with a bracket that way would allow for that and I think would line up with the positioning shown there.

BINGO!

That's it - man I can't believe I didn't think of that. You nailed it. 2x 18657 attached to a 99781 bracket. With a smooth plate below it. Perfect!!!

@Corellian Corvette I am pretty sure that it is built as shown in this image with cheese slopes under the Technic pin connectors.  This is an LDD build, which verifies all connections as legal according to TLG.

48904043571_18644c1427_o.png