Hello!
This is my new Moc: a Scania S730 tractor unit, in 1:17 scale.

img_001.jpg

It was built during free time between march and october. It is full RC with an XL motor for driving, and Servo for steering, and a Sbrick to remote control.

img_002.jpg

It has opening doors and detailed interior.

img_005.jpg

On the rear axle there are pneumatic suspensions, controlled with a manual pump at the back of the cab.

img_007.jpg

The model has a "showtruck" look when suspensions are raised:

img_013.jpg

Stickers are self made, printed with different shades of white ink on black vynil. Tyre badges are directly printed.

The most challenging part of the model was to create the steps to access the cabin... and the cabin itself! It is 18 studs wide (cab and front bumper), but the roof, on the front, is 17 studs. The wheelarches and sideskirts are 19 studs wide.

The cab can be romoved, to access to the battery box.

img_010.jpg

I'm considering put this model on Lego Ideas. I'm not able to make instructions so if somebody would like to build it, they must vote for it! (just joking :head_back:)

A trailer is also under costruction! :excited:

It looks amazing :wub:
When I saw the first picture I thought it wasn't lego and was a scale model.
The stickers look so clean.
Is the front axle on suspension ?

*cough, is this even made with LEGO bricks!?

The gorgeous stickers and black color scheme really makes this look like a die-cast model truck! The cabin looks so good, I just wanna hop in there and drive it! :drool:

Wow!!! :wub:      I had to search on your picture to find any technics elements and I see 4 blue color axles pins!!!!   Great job!!  One of the Best Semi-truck of this year!!  

Very impressive sticker job. The sticker work is getting so good on some of these models that you can't tell that they are Lego.

Edited by Meatman

Model looks great, but... Imho, it looks cool mainly because of stickers. They make possible to not design every single authentic piece of the original model. That simplifies all building process and isn't a true Lego-builder way. There are some things in the world that are extremely hard to recreate with Lego or it's even impossible at all. But when one can do something new, recreate something new - it shows the level of a builder. TLG abuses the use of stickers nowadays. And that is sad.

Just now, romashkaman said:

Model looks great, but... Imho, it looks cool mainly because of stickers. They make possible to not design every single authentic piece of the original model. That simplifies all building process and isn't a true Lego-builder way. There are some things in the world that are extremely hard to recreate with Lego or it's even impossible at all. But when one can do something new, recreate something new - it shows the level of a builder. TLG abuses the use of stickers nowadays. And that is sad.

That's a good point. Sometimes stickers are vastly overused. I am seeing more and more models that are completely wrapped in stickers. Graphics are hard to replicate with parts though. I have noticed on the Technic Facebook page that models wrapped in stickers generate many many more likes than models that are built just as well if not better. I guess it is just a matter of taste.

16 minutes ago, romashkaman said:

it looks cool mainly because of stickers

Even without the stickers, this is a brilliant moc. For example take the headlights with the transclear x346 or the fifth-wheel coupling, which is mostly done using standard bricks. Great building techniques :-)

46 minutes ago, romashkaman said:

Model looks great, but... Imho, it looks cool mainly because of stickers. 

Yes, stickers add a lot, but I think a model is done by parts + stickers.

Unluckily I don't have many photos of the model total black, and they are not very good quality, but here they are:

20190905_210609.jpg

20190905_210558.jpg

4 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

It looks amazing :wub:
When I saw the first picture I thought it wasn't lego and was a scale model.
The stickers look so clean.
Is the front axle on suspension ?

Not suspensioned :blush:

I was thinking on add suspensions to the cab, then I gave up...

Thank you all for your appreciaments! 

Cool truck :classic:
When I saw the picture I thought: Lego? And when looking better I recognize some parts. I agree about the stickers. It looks cool with those stickers but I must say it looks good without too by itself, but ... with those stickers it looks even better. Nice color scheme too, with those colors.
Only the rear end I think it doesn't really fit with the showtruck look.

Tyre badges directly printed? I'm curious how. Looks great, fits wel with the whole look.

@mpj To be honest, with stickers it's more hard to see all techniques and design. So... Maybe, if you are proud of the model itself - it would be better to post stickered and non-stickered versions together. After you posted pictures of the truck without stickers applied - now I can truly say this truck is really good.

@mpj @Meatman it's technic forum, most of us here have (different) experience in building of advanced constructions, so...  I think, if you want to achieve some kind of reputation (or add it to existing), people have to see how the model is made. Sometimes, it's hard to do it if you make paid instructions for your models and you can't take a photo of every cool thing... But, here is the time to make a choice - a cool model with good description and a bunch of fame or paid instructions/commissioned models and a long time to wait that fame :)

@romashkaman thanks for your explanation, I understand and respect your point.

I come from the scale model world (Italeri and Revell trucks) so my approach is to build "scale models" with Technic parts, and add stickers to add realism and achieve the look. The artwork is based on an existing Italian truck (search for Valcarenghi Scania S). I'm conscious the only "functional" stickers are the ones next to the doors, to simulate the rear glasses profile. All the other stickers are just for decoration.

I'm not sure if I can explain my feeling: the difference between a model without stickers and a model with, is the same between a real Scania coming out of the factory and a showtruck Scania. 

I know I'm mostly talking about the aesthetic than the function, but functions are very basic (drive and steer), it's just an rc model.

Concerning building process: I don't take many photos while building, I make and re-make many times several parts, and I don't have much time to build, so I prefer to concentrate on building than in photography. I can disassemble some parts to show more details if interested.

Concerning instructions, I really don't know how to make them. But I don't know if I understood your final point :blush:

@mpj Even it's model only with steering and drive functions - it could be enough, sometimes very small (or medium-sized) and visually simple models have such great techniques you just wonder how that builder put it all together.

I understand your point about photography. Honestly, I rebuild my models many times too, I build them just for myself, but when I want to share something with others - I don't have any story with photos about building process (that thing brings attention to your model). Given that I build without stickers, I can take final photos and that will be ok. All will see the level of the final product.

I just want to say - if you share your creations only in stickered versions - you can lose the deserved reputation not only of a good builder, but of a good lego-engineer.

I thought this was a digital model at first. I would love to build it. I'm not much for stickers but what a great job you have done.

H

Wow, that is a fantastic model. It looks like model team, but upon closer inspection it turns out nearly 100% technic. That is a massive feat of engineering! :wub:

The stickers just add another layer of realism to the model. They really add to the presence of the model. Brilliant!