jsp56

Completed Mindstorms Models. What's Next?

Hi, 

I wondered if I could ask for some advice on how my 9 year old son could find people to chat to about his mindstorms models online? 

I think that what he would like to do is be on a facebook-style forum where he could show pictures of his models and discuss with other keen builders, and exchange tips. I wondered if that is something he could do here if I read along with him and check his posts? 

He has the retail base set and the education expansion set, and lots of normal lego bricks, and I think he would like to build the sort of models that could be entered in a robot wars type of competition. We have pi wars competitions nearby but no competitions for mindstorms builders, so online is the nearest good option. 

I also wondered if you might know what would be useful for him as a Christmas present to enlarge his options for building? I'm not sure whether it is more useful to have extra sensors or extra technic bricks. We saw an amazing model at an exhibition recently that could solve a rubicks cube really quickly but it seemed to have 8 control blocks, which is really a lot of lego to save up for. 

I'm a research scientist/computer programmer and Dad is a kernel hacker, so we're reasonably good at helping him along, but would like to give him his independence a bit. 

Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to Eurobricks. Actually, this site is for 18+, but we do make exceptions. If you will be reading along with him, I am more than happy to see how it works out. I am all in favor of kids learning cool stuff :wink: 

It kinda depends on what you (or he) want to accomplish. It's probably best to decide on a new project and go from there. Get the sensors if you need them. Get the extra motors if you need them. They are costly, so I won't buy them unless you need them.

Getting a set like the 42082 will give you a lot of bang for your buck. And it's mainly black with red, which works fine with the Mindstorms set.

I don't know if you have ever considered getting some Rotacaster wheels? They are great to make cool robots. 

Hi,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. That's great that you are happy for us to have a go. 

I see what you mean about that crane set, and getting a lot of parts. We don't have much technical lego (post 1990) but the one set that we do have is 42009 which really gave us a lot of parts. Having one more like that and buying sensors as we need them makes a lot of sense. 

Thank you for pointing out those wheels. They look great. I'll show them to my son. 

He's working on a complicated model of an elbow at the moment so hopefully we'll have some photos to post soon. Thanks again for your kind welcome.

Jennifer

No thanks! Happy to see new Mindstorms enthusiasts :wink: 

You can create a topic per model/project, but feel free to post questions in this topic as well.

It's obvious that you are concerned about your son's challenging hobby. I'm sure you also realize that his brain is learning much. Just try to feed what he is interested in. Try to supply where he is going with his interests. I am now on the other side. I didn't know what my son would do in life. But, I kind of figured he would make a good living. He's an engineer. Lego helped him get there!!!