Aurore

CHALLENGE IV: Category B: Autumn Garden

Here is my entry for Book III Challenge IV, Category B "The Crown in Daily Life".

It was a bright, sunny autumn day in Horgaard, but Sigrid was worried.

The rulers of the nearby villages had gathered to discuss the rumors that kept being relayed and amplified.
Bards from the south sang the greatness of Queen Ylspeth, her wisdom, and how pleasant and prosperous life was in Avalonia under her rule. Scalds from the north sang her weakness, her ignorance, and how hard and barren life was in Mitgardia under her rule.
Some of Horgaard's neighbours wanted Queen Ylspeth down, while others were ready to take up arms to defend her. The debates had been heated, to say the least.

And Sigrid had no idea of what was the right thing to do. The information that reached the tiny, secluded village of Horgaard was so inconsistent and distorted that she felt unable to make an enlightened decision.  

After an endless, sleepless night, she needed to empty her mind. She had neglected her precious garden lately, and there were many things to do to prepare it for the winter.

48880898096_0543174eab_b.jpg

48880366668_a18a09103e_z.jpg

48880897881_f19e06ca3d_z.jpg

48880897546_381e3f44ca_c.jpg

As with my previous MOCs, the hidden text gives more information about the featured flora.

Spoiler

The Crown Flower (Colchicum Coronatum) is a perennial flowering plant commonly grown in Mitgardian and Avalonian gardens. Its huge, white flowers appear in autumn and may last until the first frost.
Despite the beauty and majesty of the flower, all parts of the plants are highly toxic and commonly used to prepare poisons.
48881088272_6300c04262_n.jpg

The Giant Thistle (Carduus Gigantus) is native to the Mitgardian toundra and can grow up to 4 meters in height. In late summer and early autumn, it features yellow hairy flowers. Contrary to other thistles, its stems and leaves are not spiny.
48880897621_e91a7a0078_n.jpg

The hydrangea is native to Avalonia. The hybrid "Mitgardian Snowball", bred by an anonymous Mitgardian gardener, is sturdy enough to survive the harsh mitgardian winters. In summer, it produces white flowerheads which age to a dry, papery rusty-brown in autumn and winter.
48881087852_ae334fc569_z.jpg

I spot three crowns here... and all very well incorporated!  The flower crowns look especially good.  Your fauna descriptions were enjoyable as always!

Another gorgeous vignette.  You really build some top quality stuff, especially your outdoor work, which I find some of the most difficult to do.  The scarecrow with brown crown, as well as the crowns for the flowers are a great use of the pieces.  I love the birds and the fall foliage, and the descriptions of the plants are fun, as usual.  I like how you incorporated the hydrangeas, too--very full and crowded, as real hydrangeas are.  Usually overcrowding in a build makes it seem too busy, but in this case, the way you use the leaf pieces with the flowers and the small baseplate size really works well.  Great job!

Very nice build.  I like the flowers with the yellow pieces looks great.  The cracked shells with the crown looks fantastic.  The foliage gives the scene some added depth.  Very nice scarecrow too.  The birch tree looks good.  Nice story  to go along with  the build.  

@Kai NRG Thank you very much! Well done for the crown-spotting! I also tried to use the brown Witch-King's crown, but did not manage to find a suitable plant design. :hmpf_bad:

@Grover Thank you for your very kind words, I'm really glad you like this vignette - and the hydrangeas. As hydrangeas are among my favourites in my own garden, I tried several LEGO hydrangea designs before being satisfied with this one. :sweet:   

@zoth33 Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the plants and Sir Scarecrow!

16 minutes ago, Aurore said:

I also tried to use the brown Witch-King's crown, but did not manage to find a suitable plant design. :hmpf_bad:

I didn't even know it came in brown.  It looks surprisingly reasonable for the scarecrow!

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

I didn't even know it came in brown.  It looks surprisingly reasonable for the scarecrow!

It was the fantasy era.  The troll mountain fortress.  The troll leader had a brown crown.  It's a very good set.  

Lady Aurore,

I'm always excited to see your gardens flourish. I can see you are keeping them well. Congrats! I'm sure that in no time, you will become the most famous herbalist in all Avalonia. I might have heard some garden-keeping requests over a marketsquare on the way to the southern plains. Make sure to drop some business cards. 

Very clever use of parts, here. The diversity of flowers, plants, herbs you bring to your builds is impressive. And way to go using those crown pieces! 

Great work, fellow wanderer. 
Cheers!

Brilliant representation of the fall season :wub_drool: Birch trees are especially stunning in the fall, and your rendition is top notch.

Excellent plant designs in the garden, and I like the little mouse hiding in back :thumbup: