Sign in to follow this  
supertruper1988

New York Central 19000 Series Caboose

Huge thank you to @Freezingvettes99 for gifting me with this New York Central Caboose it is the perfect compliment to my USRA 0-6-0. I am glad to have a caboose and I can definitely see the appeal this is the first of many cabeese I will have, I am sure. I need to add a few details once I get some hose in. Also need to get an email off to get some decals.

The Prototype for this is interestingly shaped because of their low cupola, required by the NYC's low (15'-3") loading gauge. The NYC owned hundreds of these cars in the steam era, and many survived into the late 1960s.

First up a couple pics of the prototype:

nyc-19008.jpg

nyc-cab-cutaway.jpg

On to the model!

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

Is that dark red that you are using? If so, you might want to consider using part #60032 for the windows to add more detail and interest.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=60032&colorID=59

If its regular red, you have lots of different window options.

Judging from the prototype picture, the cupola's were not very useful as you could not see over the box car! I wonder if they eventually went to bay windows for better visibility. 

Edited by ecmo47

2 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Is that dark red that you are using? If so, you might want to consider using part #60032 for the windows to add more detail and interest.

Judging from the prototype picture, the cupola's were not very useful as you could not see over the box car! I wonder if they eventually went to bay windows for better visibility. 

The windows as shown are intended to have custom decals made for them representing the original window design. The versions you suggested would possibly look a bit small and out of place. Thanks for the suggestion though.

14 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Huge thank you to @Freezingvettes99 for gifting me with this New York Central Caboose it is the perfect compliment to my USRA 0-6-0.

Very nice build indeed ... Personally I would change the brakemans catwalks to brown or dark grey to break up all the red ... Reguardless it looks well composed.  You should get as a picture of the whole rake.

4 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

I have actually ridden in one of these ..the boxcars are perfectly looked down ... However your standard coach car is not ... As its just as tall 'll

4 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

I am going to be doing decals for the windows. I am also not sold on these yes because the prototypes are so inset. I may do some kind of grill tiles to hold one of the glass parts from part 60592. That would also get a sticker. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also yes when boxcars got taller, they were not very useful. these were designed in the era of wood sided boxcars what were ~8 feet tall on the inside. I have a design for one to match this caboose but I havent had the time to build it in the brick. 

38 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Very nice build indeed ... Personally I would change the brakemans catwalks to brown or dark grey to break up all the red ... Reguardless it looks well composed.  You should get as a picture of the whole rake.

I will get a picture and some video of it running when I display with my club in november. I have been on a building rampage to get ready haha! My LEGO room is a mess which is why you only see the clean end of the loop of track I have on the floor haha!

Edited by supertruper1988

16 hours ago, Freezingvettes99 said:

The windows as shown are intended to have custom decals made for them representing the original window design.

For a pure lego solution, you could use four 1x1 trans clear bricks for each window. Though I suspect the stickers would look better.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:40 PM, zephyr1934 said:

For a pure lego solution, you could use four 1x1 trans clear bricks for each window. Though I suspect the stickers would look better.

I hadnt considered this but that may be worth a shot. I already used the brick line on the coopla side windows