HMS Surprise

Just browsed through the forum and could not find this anywhere. Think I just forgot to share it.:pir-oh:

Mentioned her some time ago in the General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread.

If she is hiding somewhere in the forum,:cry_sad: I do hope someone has the chops to remove this topic.

Scale 1:40’ish

L: 150 cm

B: 26 cm

H: 114

Bricks approx. 19300.

Looking back at my earlier designs I found that my version of the HMS Surprise, just like the HMS Ontario, was somewhat wanting.

This is a model of the HMS Surprise launched as the corvette Unité in 1794.

In 1796, The Royal Navy conquered, refitted and renamed her. She later on chased pirates in the Caribbean for several years.

The ship plays a central role in the Aubery-Maturin stories. This includes the movie from 2003 Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

The HMS Rose, which was later, renamed HMS Surprise, plays the “role” as HMS Surprise. Neat, but somewhat confusing.

Being notoriously bad at taking photos of my creations:hmpf: there is some Renders below, these are also in the General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread.

HMS Surprise remake Render PortHMS Surprise remake Fore

…but you need to look at the LDD file to get a view of the details of the creation.

Find it at MOCPAGES http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/452403

She has been on display at LW Copenhagen 2019. A Swedish AFOL has taken some fine Pictures from the event on this link. Hope it is ok that I link to this:pir-grin:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86394332@N03/47062421172/in/album-72157705321073761/

There are also some more photos including WIP at my Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131641614@N06/with/46031790204/

12 hours ago, Anders T said:

Just browsed through the forum and could not find this anywhere. Think I just forgot to share it.

Well this is a nice surprise! :thumbup:

So we'll post it on the Classic-Pirates.com Social Media too.

Very nice. This model looks beautiful!! :grin_wub::grin_wub:

I love the Surprise because of the POTC and the Aubrey-Maturin Novels. 

Wish you had more pics of the real model with higher resolution.

This is a magnificent vessel !

Could you, by any chance, provide us more (and better) pictures please ? It is possible you can better the light or the focus of your pictures with photoshop or any other software.

On your initial picture; I took the liberty to rise the lighting and the contrast and it gives something like this :

1402592377_HMSSurprise(2).thumb.jpg.39c6f4b40c888715c9aaf44112d8af11.jpg

On 10/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, Buccaneero said:

Jesus, this is no longer "just" a LEGO MOC... it's something beyond.

Thanks man, I know it is not your dreamboat, but doesn’t it rather hit the spot as well.:blush:

On 10/11/2019 at 12:22 PM, Mister Phes said:

Well this is a nice surprise! :thumbup:

So we'll post it on the Classic-Pirates.com Social Media too. 

Thanks!:grin:

On 10/11/2019 at 3:24 PM, Robin_IV said:

Very nice. This model looks beautiful!! :grin_wub::grin_wub:

I love the Surprise because of the POTC and the Aubrey-Maturin Novels. 

Wish you had more pics of the real model with higher resolution. 

Thanks.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, Faladrin said:

Could you, by any chance, provide us more (and better) pictures please ? It is possible you can better the light or the focus of your pictures with photoshop or any other software.

On your initial picture; I took the liberty to rise the lighting and the contrast and it gives something like this :

One of the reasons why I chose to build her back in 2011 (First take on the ship) was because of the abundance of material about her. This is mainly due to the Aubrey-Maturin Novels.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, Faladrin said:

After LW19 she was put in boxes. I will do an effort to get some better pictures if/when she is up for another event. Until then we will just have to make do with these. Thus the initial apology and link to better pictures. Yep I also took a whack at improving the pictures before, and decided to leave them as they were.

I am a huge fan of the Aubrey/Mauturin books and the movie as well.  Your model of the Surprise is truly stunning!  One of the best MOCs I've ever seen.

Fantastic vessel! The lines, rigging, hull are absolutely amazing!

19700 bricks, that’s a lot, but it surely looks like every brick was worth it!

On 10/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, yanwilma said:

wow....Congratulations on your wonderful work !!

Thanks

On 10/21/2019 at 3:16 AM, 009 said:

Great build dude :thumbup::head_back:

Thanks, Yep, its quite different when it moves out of the digital realm

On 10/21/2019 at 3:49 AM, EVE said:

Really incredible technique for the hull!

On 10/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, Reaper said:

Nice build! The hull looks very sleek!

Thanks, It is try and error on a number of MOCs. It was actually quite interesting to observe, when she was displayed, how fellow MOCcers stood out by being focused on the hull rather than the flashy details.:pir-classic:

On 10/21/2019 at 6:51 PM, sandtrooper said:

I am a huge fan of the Aubrey/Mauturin books and the movie as well.  Your model of the Surprise is truly stunning!  One of the best MOCs I've ever seen.

Thanks man, I did set the blaster for stun:pir-vader:

On 10/23/2019 at 7:41 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I saw this on classic pirates first and I am happy to find it here in our forum.

Excellent ship, man!

Thanks, Yep, as I said it was an oversight that it wasn't here a long time ago.:blush:

On 10/24/2019 at 3:50 AM, 009 said:

Wo...it is so big ~!  *oh2*:thumbup:

He, he, and heavy too

On 10/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, Viper Knight said:

Fantastic color. Well-done!

Thanks, the lower hull color is, as I have mentioned earlier a compromise. I think it worked out well on this one though. And I went all out with flashy gold on some of the details.*oh2*

On 10/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, Maxim I said:

Fantastic vessel! The lines, rigging, hull are absolutely amazing!

19700 bricks, that’s a lot, but it surely looks like every brick was worth it!

Thanks, they all represent their own challenge. The hull and lines in design and the rigging in the building phase. 19700- It is a lot. Much of it is slopes and 1x1 plates connecting stuff, but it all adds up. Then again there is no big expensive pieces. I did have to use some fairly rare ones on the stern and the masts.

And now youre just showing off arent you? No more Diital masterpieces, but also now whit real bricks! :laugh: Im in love this this, truly am:wub:

Captain Becker

6 hours ago, Captain Becker said:

And now youre just showing off arent you? No more Diital masterpieces, but also now whit real bricks! :laugh: Im in love this this, truly am:wub:

Captain Becker

He, he, my digital models are always intended for being realized as real MOCs.:wink: I even posted some back in 2017.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/151798-a-couple-of-ships-at-ms-museet-for-s%C3%B8fart-summer-of-2017/&tab=comments#comment-2815895

However, the next couple of months I confine myself to making digital models. The response and suggestions are taking into consideration when I finally decide that it is building time.

So anyone who wants to geek out over anything,*huh* feel free.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:39 AM, Kelkschiz said:

I could stare at such a model for hours. Beautiful work :wub::wub_drool:.

Thanks, I will be sure to give a heads up when it will be on display again somewhere.

You can also build it yourself. *oh2*The LDD file is here.

http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/452403

On 11/18/2019 at 2:25 AM, paulinho-knbl said:

Those strings make the model look so beautiful!

Glad you think so.:pir-classic:

I too find that the finished look is worth the effort.

They are really the most troublesome part of the build. The part where I sometimes think "Ships why?!?":wall:. The LEGO part is usually fairly easy.:head_back:

On 11/19/2019 at 9:30 PM, Anders T said:

Glad you think so.:pir-classic:

I too find that the finished look is worth the effort.

They are really the most troublesome part of the build. The part where I sometimes think "Ships why?!?":wall:. The LEGO part is usually fairly easy.:head_back:

Yes, definitely worth it! :thumbup:

Hello Anders T,

Is there another way to get the LDD file from this awesome model? It seems that www.moc-pages.com has been deleted.

Thanks!