badmad

How to start develop a supercar

There are a lot of Cars I like, but there ore only very few cars I really love. You just got to feel it, thinking about it is not for me. Just dont pick anything you cannot complete, so some thinking is still required...

On 10/9/2019 at 10:26 PM, badmad said:

In fact, I want to recreate the body as perfectly as possible.

I don't want to motorize the car, a manual version is enough for me. Because i like display models the most. 

Main features like steering, suspension, openable doors... That should be included too.

But I'm not as magical as some others here. I will not be able to think of such a fantastic door mechanism like @DugaldIC or a height-adjustable suspension like @brunojj1

Therefore, I try to get the model first externally optimal.

No need to be magical, it´s all about thinking & work. I found the best advice here came from T Lego, you should follow it. Don´t be too strict about "rules", find out yourself - it´s the major part of having fun playing :wink:. Of course one can avoid many mistakes usually made by beginners (all of us were at some point). You should visualize your end result, make compromises but don´t let go your dream! Immagine the finished car, but start with the solid basis first - the chassis. Take your time and never give up, because that´s the difference between losers and winners - the latter always take that one impossible step further where everybody else would give up.

8 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

Take your time and never give up

Thank you for your words. I try to think about it whenever I run the risk of throwing up the towel. I am at the very beginning, but I already see the finished model in front of me, on my collection shelf. Nobody forces me to tackle this project, only the will to eventually have a result that I'm proud of. Thanks again for your encouraging words. It is not self-evident that "professionals" take the time to help newcomers. Thanks!!!

Another thing i´m thinkin about is how you do it with instructions. You develop a car and maybe sometime it will be finished. How you get the instructions? Do you dissamble the car and start building again for instructions or do you build single parts of the model in softwares when you finished them?

Edited by badmad

Why would you want to make instructions? If for others you need to end up with a good model first. Then take risk to be ripped off by the Chinese without earning a penny. If for yourself, it´s enough to take the model apart after having considered it as really finished and then simply make pictures of the particular subassembly and the parts it contains. Working with software is something which requires a lot of learning again, it´s no fun at all for most builders I´m aware of.

21 hours ago, badmad said:

I wish you all the best. 

I spend the last days to find the right car for me and i'm not finished at the moment :laugh:

By the way i have installed a software for simulating technic functions. 

I have not really started developing yet but i'm very hot for the project i've started with this topic. 

Thank you. I wish you good luck too. By the way I've already chosen what I'm gonna build and its scale - it should be similar size like Porsche form set 42056.

1 hour ago, badmad said:

Another thing i´m thinkin about is how you do it with instructions. You develop a car and maybe sometime it will be finished. How you get the instructions? Do you dissamble the car and start building again for instructions or do you build single parts of the model in softwares when you finished them?

I did it this way: when I am done with model I start taking it apart while taking pictures of this process. Then I go from last picture to the first and building model again in some software. Last time I used LDD because it is more Technic friendly than Studio. If you are too lazy to take pictures of dismantling you can try to build model directly during taking model apart. When I have model in digital form I use Studio to create steps.

2 hours ago, badmad said:

Another thing i´m thinkin about is how you do it with instructions. You develop a car and maybe sometime it will be finished. How you get the instructions?

My advice would be to first just start building the car :)

I sometimes do instructions for my models. It's quite time consuming, yes, but I find it rather enjoyable to do (indeed, @brunojj1 :P ), (although saying tghat, I still have a backlog of a few models that I want to do instructions for), except waiting for LPub3D to do all the rendering (could easily take 30 minutes for all steps of a 1:8 car model). Also, I don't go into depths to create "professional level" instructions. I just put the parts in a sensible order and use submodels. But I never use moving parts with arrows or parts "not yet in place" such as pins or axles that need to be pushed through later. I omit all that. I expect builders to "get" it. Same for strings and some other flexible elements. Those are the most time-consuming. I just skip that. (Fortunately I don't often do pneumatic models).

But yeah. To do this at all, you first need a finished model. I'd work on that first :)

Yes, i think so too.

The most important thing is the model by itself. That will have all my attention at first. Anything else will come later.