Sign in to follow this  
jaesroe

12v train green tray differences

KakaoTalk_20191008_170221169_1.jpg.f21a1c29df693c9843f9df7e43b3984a.jpgHi Lego train fans,

I have recently bought a 7740 set and was told that there are two versions of green tray of early 12v trains sets' packaging.

The early one has no side support in every corner of the green tray with relatively narrower top surface, whereas later version has thicker top surface and triangle support in each corner.

In terms of tray's wall, I was told that early version is thinner and later versions.

Any detail or knowledge train tech fans know about the difference of 12v train boxes packaging?

KakaoTalk_20191008_170221169_1.jpg

Edited by jaesroe

That's quite the specific question!  What are you looking to know in particular, though?  Are you wondering why the change was made, curious about other differences over time, trying to authenticate a set, etc.?

As quite all the changes on packages or on the pieces, I believe that this was made to increase the productivity.

10 hours ago, deraven said:

That's quite the specific question!  What are you looking to know in particular, though?  Are you wondering why the change was made, curious about other differences over time, trying to authenticate a set, etc.?

My question is that whether such a change made the green tray more stronger, as I was told that some of those early version's tray was so thin and could be easily broken compared to later version. I wonder train tech fan in this forum could tell the differences between two.

4 hours ago, jaesroe said:

My question is that whether such a change made the green tray more stronger

Ah, yes, that is the case.  Especially with those old flip-top display boxes that would be handled a fair bit in the store, they could be damaged fairly easily and while it wouldn't be likely to hurt the contents of the box, it would look bad to the consumer.  I think they also moved to a less brittle plastic at some point that could flex a lot more without cracking.

I think you should ask Reza, he knows a lot about 12V train boxes and their evolutions, especially about trays.

Edited by Evans
typo

On 10/9/2019 at 5:12 AM, Evans said:

I think you should ask Reza, he knows a lot about 12V train boxes and their evolutions, especially about trays.

Evan,
I already answered Jaesroe on facebook, but whenever I get some time, I will give a complete description of inner trays concerning trains 7720, 7730, 7740 and 7750.