Sign in to follow this  
The Sarge

[OL-FB] Armorer's Workshop - Acropolis Naval Yard

48855532967_c260200b41_b.jpg

48854976868_55d23883ce_b.jpg

Noting the natural fortifications of the island of Pharos, the general staff of La Royale determined it prudent to begin construction on a protected Naval Yard to support the push east.  One of the first buildings to go up was this sturdy workshop for the armorer, where he maintains and repairs the small arms of the fleet and the army units attached to it.

48854978083_1fe1cce42e_b.jpg

Along the left wall, a workbench with drawers, post vise, and anvil sit.  The anvil is positioned near the fireplace, which is used for heat-treating and forming small parts.

48855536487_c2d89cc0b3_b.jpg

On the right, a treadle grinder and treadle lathe are positioned, along with a barrel of raw stock.  With these tools, the armorer can shape any replacement part except the barrel itself.  A trophy for a top twenty finish in the Compétition de tir de précision de la flotte of several years past rests above the fireplace.

A sturdy build, and a good representation of a armory workshop, the funnel looks good and I like the funnel build of studs and plates, and I also like the alternance of grey on the roof.

That is a very nice and clean build with a lot of texture on nearly every part of the walls, but still not overcharged. I especially like the treadle lathe and the grinder.

Nice job on this, the roof and the sideways tiles on the buildings are special highlights!

Nice workshop! Both the facade and the details of the interior (bench and instruments) are very nice, I’ll probably borrow some ideas! My only suggestion is to use at least 1 removable wall, it would allow nice close up photos (but this is only a personal preference)

I think two removable would be better ... Take one off then take the picture ... Then swap sides and take another lol.  

Seriously nice equipment seems quite fitting for a military instalment.  I just used that similar roof technique in a build of mine! Really gives a fine result.

@Keymonus @Roadmonkeytj

Thanks!  I've played with removable walls or sections in the past, but ultimately I don't find it worth sacrificing stability or detail to allow one or more removable panels.  I do need to get a better photo setup than my phone and some typing paper, to help me better showcase the interiors. Perhaps next time I can take some detail shots of the equipment and furniture outside the building.

Great looking workshop, inside and out! As others have said, the tools are great (details, please :pir-grin:) as is the detailing all around.

Two suggestions. The gables should be higher than the roof. I think raising them just two plates would do the trick. Right now, it looks slightly odd. Second, for photosetup, I can recommend a large roller blind. It doesn't crease easily, and gives a good uniform background. And then it is cheap! Adding an extra light source (any lamp will help) will probably help your phone take better pictures.

That said, your pictures are fine, but there seems to be some flash reflections that more light may help with.

Overall, good work.

Apart from the gables being lower than the roof, this is a lovely build. The scale is quite believable for a colonial workshop, and I am especially impressed with the fact that you have so nearly perfectly captured what I call the "Colonial Williamsburg look" with the interior pics. I feel like I could step into the room. :classic:

Nice job on the fine tools!

Also very cool how you used the pizza tiles (how are they called? partially rounded 1x1 tile?) :pir-sweet:

8 hours ago, Maxim I said:

pizza tiles

*Immediately understands what you're talking about*

8 hours ago, Maxim I said:

partially rounded 1x1 tile

*loses understanding again*