Sign in to follow this  
CaptainSerMig

[MOC] Adventurers 5935 Island Hopper revamp

Good Day everyone,

Remember the Dino Island sub theme? I sure do, but sadly I think it ranks slightly under others, most notably O.E., because of its <insert that tiresome argument> and blocky builds.

Solutions? Easy: take the already super cool concept and make it even cooler by building it with modern standards!

Hope you enjoy

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHvfdTw

sorry mods but I had to link my Flickr album 'cause I wasn't able to reduce the resolution of the files enough to post them

48851446671_ff272391cf_z.jpg

48851635142_4fdb2edb42_z.jpg

8 hours ago, CaptainSerMig said:

sorry mods but I had to link my Flickr album 'cause I wasn't able to reduce the resolution of the files enough to post them

Eurobricks isn't for hosting images; it is preferred that you host them elsewhere like flickr and link/embed images in your posts, so you're good there.  :wink:

This is a very nice update!  You've kept it pretty chunk which I think goes well with the original feel (and the ungainly look of the real aircraft).  This was one of my favorite sets even though it was so underwhleming overall because it reminded me of the Tailspin cartoon I loved when I was younger.  You've definitely done it justice and added some interesting details.  Nice build!  :classic:

Love this! There's so many good details here, and I particularly love the dark brown accents on the roof that keep it from looking too plain.

The solution for the windscreen does feel a little rough, though, and reduces the interior space it would otherwise have... I wonder if the new 6-wide Speed Champions windscreen in the recently revealed 2020 set might be able to better serve that purpose in the future.

This is great! 5935 holds a special place in my heart. I have great memories related to it as a child :sweet:

@CaptainSerMig:

As a big fan of Adventurers/Dino Island and the original Island Hopper, it's nice to see this airplane re-engineered in a reverse Flight of the Phoenix manner.  New an improved, you did a great job in keeping the spirit of the original with red, white, grey (and a splash of brown) components.  

I remember building a plate and brick biplane after seeing the 1977 adventure classic, People That Time Forgot, swooshing my way around the house as a kid (great memories!). Sorry, reminiscing a bit here.

In any case, well done! :thumbup:

On 10/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, legolijntje said:

This is great! 5935 holds a special place in my heart. I have great memories related to it as a child :sweet:

Here is another one, I love this! It's a lovely idea to "modernize" old favorites. =)
The studless design makes it really stand out. I am only missing the pterosaur anymore... ;D

- Samppu

I just love this kind of MOCs! Great job!

I've been fascinated by @L@go's MOCs for this very reason – they capture the mood of the original sets, and have some extra polish thanks to the newer parts.

Cool! Like all the Snot stuff and the folding wings, though just a suggestion maybe lengthen the tail to make it not so stubby.