BrickWild

42110 - Land Rover Defender - MODs and Improvements

6 minutes ago, twoofive said:

Not gonna argue further, i work at jlr, they will be v6 petrol, 4l petrol or 4l diesel:-)

Official set should have V6 like your version with V6.

I don't get what all the fuss is about: there will be a lot of different engines for the new Defender, some inline engines (4 or 6) and some V-configurations. Some Diesel engines, some petrol, a "mild hybrid" and there a rumors about a full electric version eventually. Not all engines will be available in all countries though, due to complex legislative and marketing reasons. This is the (blurry) overview which leaked a while ago:

0c8bcd83-2020-land-rover-defender-presen

(More in depth explanation can be found here)

Edited by Cumulonimbus

There must be serious trouble at JLR than. After making the market loud with new in line 6 cylinder engine, why on earth would they go for V6? 

You can also order only with i4 or i6...

https://buildyour.landrover.com/lr2/r/engine/_/en_xi/l663_k20/4pbxe/a-fe/?_ga=2.258304264.306643662.1570528337-2127566929.1570528337

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenium_engine_family

The 42110 is accurate in this term. 

Edited by agrof

Not only JLR comes back to I6. Mercedes too. 

I6 are better in terms of balance than v6. And the sound is nicer :)

8 minutes ago, tomek9210 said:

I6 are better in terms of balance than v6. And the sound is nicer :)

That is true, they need less counter balancing axles and we saw in trucks engines that then need less fuel...

But I prefer V6 Lego fake engine over 6 sets of axles and bushes.

1 hour ago, agrof said:

There must be serious trouble at JLR than. After making the market loud with new in line 6 cylinder engine, why on earth would they go for V6? 

You can also order only with i4 or i6...  

https://buildyour.landrover.com/lr2/r/engine/_/en_xi/l663_k20/4pbxe/a-fe/?_ga=2.258304264.306643662.1570528337-2127566929.1570528337

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenium_engine_family

The 42110 is accurate in this term. 

Call me crazy, but the picture on the defender configurator for the 3.0 Ingenium looks more like a V6 then an I6 to me, far too wide and short to be an I6, just compare it to the I4s. Off course there is no guarantee the picture on the configurator has anything to do with the actual engine, but this is getting more confusing by the minute.

And i'd say that something crucial like a V6 or I6 is settled early on in the process, if indeed @twoofive is right and an I6 wouldnt fit in there, that would have been known for a long time already, and having an I6 in the lego model gets more and more confusing.

If it is indeed a V6, this looks like a likely candidate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine#AJ126  as it has already been used in a couple of landrovers since 2014, on the other hand, it isnt an ingenium engine, only does 380ps, and is supercharged, not turbocharged...

I think the only reasonable response is to assume JLR will build a high performance Defender eventually, and just slap in a big V8 pre-emptively, just to be sure :laugh:

Either way, thanks again for the pics @twoofive, im happy to know that even if i cant succeed in putting a V8 in there, i can go for a V6 which will look awesome, and i wont be relegated to using an I4

3 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Call me crazy, but the picture on the defender configurator for the 3.0 Ingenium looks more like a V6 then an I6 to me, far too wide and short to be an I6, just compare it to the I4s.

It does indeed, but if You click on View WLTP Figures, there is only in-line engines listed. I6 does definitely fit in. :wink:

Range Rover models do have V engine configurations, but the Defender does not (yet).

Nonetheless, the LEGO V6 version from @twoofive looks really good! :thumbup:

Edited by agrof

Nice photo, is this technically a multi-link suspension or a true double wishbone setup? It still confuses me that LR has chosen to mount the upper wishbone not directly to the body or chassis but via the stanchion. I can't think of any advantage other than the reduction of the amount of mounting points in the monocoque structure. Also, look at that heafty torsion tube, I guess it is needed to keep the car level at high speed, an illustration of its ambitions. BTW, is that an active torsion tube? It looks like a big motor wrapped around the torsion spring, could a be just a damper though. Last thing that surprises me is the towing eye mounted to the sub-frame, I would expect his mount to the body/chassis.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

@Cumulonimbus

The top wishbone dont look attached to anything here, so i assume the body will contain mounts for them.

I think id classify it as multilink by the way, the way i see it the bottom "wishbone" is half wishbone and half trailing-arm/wishbone, with the pivoting axle of the black arm not in line with that of the other half, so geometry-wise it will behave slightly different i suspect. The ARB does indeed look active somehow, maybe adjustable stiffness? i would assume that while for high performance on-road you want a stiff ARB, while off-road you want to dail it back or just decouple it alltogether.

Ah, you're right, the upper wishbones are not attached in this display. There must indeed be mounting points on the body, I think you can just make them out in this image:

Land_Rover-Defender_110-2020-1280-90.jpg

BTW: the netcarshow.com website has a ton of nice Defender reference images including the chassis picture above and some designer sketches. Those are always nice to see and would have a nice addition to the set instructions booklet.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

9 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Nice photo, is this technically a multi-link suspension or a true double wishbone setup? It still confuses me that LR has chosen to mount the upper wishbone not directly to the body or chassis but via the stanchion. I can't think of any advantage other than the reduction of the amount of mounting points in the monocoque structure. Also, look at that heafty torsion tube, I guess it is needed to keep the car level at high speed, an illustration of its ambitions. BTW, is that an active torsion tube? It looks like a big motor wrapped around the torsion spring, could a be just a damper though. Last thing that surprises me is the towing eye mounted to the sub-frame, I would expect his mount to the body/chassis.

It make it a lot easier to do a aftermarket (or factory) lift for the car... The Lego model suffers from this. It's very hard to apply a lift (above 1 stud) without rebuilding the frame...

-ED-

It's a multilink bottom with an elevated wishbone on top. I just got my set in the mail today, so after i build it, expect some pictures of this setup and this unibody made out of lego to be dropping in this thread.

18 minutes ago, nicjasno said:

It's a multilink bottom with an elevated wishbone on top. I just got my set in the mail today, so after i build it, expect some pictures of this setup and this unibody made out of lego to be dropping in this thread.

I was expectong you to drop some... :)

I am just building it. Have found a few quick mods I wanna make, like a 1 stud easy lift. But I would really like to make a more realistic suspention setup for this model. It deserves better.

-ED-

Some of the things i'll do will be mods that anyone can implement, some will require a complete (satisfying) rebuild.

The biggest issue i have are the wheel hubs. They just limit the steering angle so much. :(

20191009_21330020191009_21325520191009_213248

So i kept myself busy for another evening, and decided to lenghten the defender to a 110 wheelbase, thus keeping the 3 door design. 

A 110 3 door version is probably not gonna come out irl, but the lack of possibillities partswise is olive green let me keep it 3 door for now. 

As you may see i filled up with black for the same reason, the slope tiles will asap be ordered when available.

My thoughts? Its more correct proportionwise. 

One more minor MOD.

A door-limiter

48876086608_013cd241ae_c.jpg

The door limiter takes about 5 degrees off and gives the door a more natural look..

48876818252_6b731068d3_z.jpg

The limiter moves along with the door although it is not connected to it!

With only 6 parts you can incorperate them during the buildingproces

48876622796_604027617b_z.jpg

I have bought 42110 and started thinking about improving the set. I still have the 42069, which uses tracked chassis. I thought that it could be a great idea to have LR on the tracks too.

I've built a quick sketch of tracked frame, with 4 pairs of oscilating road wheels. It fitted the wheel arches nicely, the steering worked quite well. But in overall, it did not work.

Unfortunatelly, there's a lot of play in independent suspension and whole track module goes sideways, instead going straight. So simple change of wheel hubs to tracked bogies will not work. Those tracks need a solid axle to work properly, like in 42069.
I am not sure if I want to rebuild half of the set for having tracks, I'd probably take it apart and make a C model in the next few months.

800x800.jpg
800x800.jpg

9101615235_5d86a18e36_b.jpg

On 10/7/2019 at 7:44 PM, twoofive said:

48860441607_b6c977b617_m.jpg

48860458082_81e371261f_m.jpg

48860249666_8d87c13c7c_m.jpg

Hey, did you have to make any deep modifications into the front structure to fit that V6? I will be building that model tomorrow and that is what I want to do first - I hate that small engine, because it is not running smooth.