BrickWild

42110 - Land Rover Defender - MODs and Improvements

Shelter-in-place has its benefits... with nowhere to go I just went aheadĀ I figured out a complete solution based on @alademann's photo, bought the parts today (diff'd from @jb70's mod) and will test out the physical build. If it works, I'll post the io for anyone who is interested.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and try to build the technic Defender I want. I bought a second hand 42110 as the basis for my MOD/MOC and started work a couple of weeks ago. The hardest part will be the adjustable suspension, which will require a completely new chassis. I have figured out a geometry which gives me the necessary range and stability and will be compact enough to fit inside the 42110 body. The image below is a quick snapshot of my testmule which gave me the confidence to post this first update. A lot of unknowns at the moment and it will undoubtedly be slow progress, we'll see where this ends. More updates will follow ...

Defender_MOD.jpg

I managed to fit the necessary mechanisms inside the 42110 body and the image below shows the range of movement:

640x908.jpg

Ā 

Hello guys, I have decided to change my 42110. I call it Lego Technic 42110- Lite Version. This version is basically for those who don't have enough parts or are unable to find/buy new parts to build the JB70 Pimped up version. Dont have enough resources/currently unable to RCĀ it either. The Pimped up 42110 is a fantastic MOC. However, as it is mentioned above I dont have options to add or buy required parts and, I personally do not like a vehicle whose front seats and rear seats basically floats above a sea of gears right from the front to the very back. It looks weird, at least to me.

Changes:

1. Removed the rear gearbox completely. As a result, the infamous (or the victims of the infamous rear gearbox) u-joints are also removed. They are now used on the frame of the main doors (and they are not aligned lol)

2. Modified the front gearbox with a 4 speed one. The front gearbox has two structures- one on the front and another one in the back. I have modified them to fit in the not so symmetric drivetrain of Defender. The black beam which sits right beneath the front gearbox has now simplified installation. Ā The gears have noticeable speed difference with Engine piston movements when being hand moved.

3. Changed the position of the front and rear diffs. The crowns are now facing opposite to each other

4. Changed the position of centre differential

Other changes to match my personal taste:

i. removed the winch

ii. Added a hood stand (from Grohl's Unofficial B model)

iii. Modified the front grey shock absorbers by stiffening them using the little parts

iv. replaced the blue pins with black pins for each of the four fenders. The blue pins among the Defender Olive Green is an eye-sore for me. Total 8 black pins were needed

v. Used a long rod to connect the rear door (with the tyre) down to one of the holes of the upper bottom beam because when you open and close the rear door (may or may not happen to you) the door with the tyre has considerable amount of force causing the connecting parts get out a bit of their place.

vi. From my observation, I have seen behind the steering wheel the dashboard's bottom part gets loose/looks like it is hanged if removed later. That black pin connecting all the parts was not doing a great job. I have replaced that with a blue pin.

vii. The back red lights areĀ flimsy. I have replaced the upper part smaller pins with a long blue pin. They are now sturdy.

viii. Changed the inner side of the main doors mechanism.

ix. Lots of small visual changes

800x449.jpg

800x525.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x540.jpg

800x497.jpg

800x1087.jpg

800x570.jpg

This modĀ is from someone who is a noob, knows not so much about gears, just want to have a vehicle for when he moves it does not crack with simplified gearing. It is not geartastic, but it's nice.

Edited by thekoRngear
Updated the Mod

Hello,

Thought I'd share what I'm working on, inspired by a Defender 110 MOC. I'm creating my own 110 as closely accurate to real sizing as possible. The rear doors are difficult as the real ones are part of the rear mudguard. The black roof and hood are accurate as the Defender has this livery as well.
This is my very first time using Studio so lot of trial and error before it is complete. And seeing all these mods, I will be implementing a lot when I start building mine.

42110-test-2.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike08 said:

Hello,

Thought I'd share what I'm working on, inspired by a Defender 110 MOC. I'm creating my own 110 as closely accurate to real sizing as possible. The rear doors are difficult as the real ones are part of the rear mudguard. The black roof and hood are accurate as the Defender has this livery as well. [...]

Wow 4-door version! Nice! Following!

Recently finished this, it was a nice build.

I went with the Pimp up my... version from the get go (thanks @jb70 and all involved).

A few simple, mostly cosmetic mods:

• went for the V6 engine using traditional blocks
  • involved a slight change to the steering linkage and I think a slightly higher engine speed
  • stiffer suspension
  • bullbars & lights atĀ front
  • extended roofrack and lights
  • added the full set of jerry cans from 42069
  • snorkel
  • lockable doors

IMG_4180.jpg

8 hours ago, DrJimbo said:

*snip*

Looking good. In future, you can upload to to an external image hosting site and copy the link to it in your comment, and it'll automatically embed it. That way you can share high-res images. I highly recommend doing it via Imgur, because it's super quick and doesn't require an account

18 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Looking good. In future, you can upload to to an external image hosting site and copy the link to it in your comment, and it'll automatically embed it. That way you can share high-res images. I highly recommend doing it via Imgur, because it's super quick and doesn't require an account

Thanks. Here is the landrover in all it's glory

QbcO62y.jpg

Edited by DrJimbo
link update x3

Ok, and now the bit I'm most pleased with:

the half unit offset for the doors allowed this simple locking mechanism:

Locked doorXJeAtyJ.jpg

Unlocked door:

5CBlaC3.jpg

Locking mechanism:

9ScR0WQ.jpg

There is a perfectly positioned gap to receive the 5L beam:

GYosO1V.jpg

Ā 

thanks Dr JimboĀ for sharingĀ the door lock pictures, I've copied it and it works nicely.Ā 

Glad you liked it!

I am ridiculously pleased with how this ~10 part construction worked out.

2 hours ago, DrJimbo said:

Glad you liked it!

I am ridiculously pleased with how this ~10 part construction worked out.

Simplicity marks the genius.

Whooha, this is real good.

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

On 8/14/2020 at 6:36 PM, Mike08 said:

Hello,

Thought I'd share what I'm working on, inspired by a Defender 110 MOC. I'm creating my own 110 as closely accurate to real sizing as possible. The rear doors are difficult as the real ones are part of the rear mudguard. The black roof and hood are accurate as the Defender has this livery as well.
This is my very first time using Studio so lot of trial and error before it is complete. And seeing all these mods, I will be implementing a lot when I start building mine.

42110-test-2.jpg

Whoah this is amazing! I love the contrasting black color, which you placed also on the bonnet. I think that really is a key design feature of the real thing.

I also like the way you aligned the rear mudguard and the door.:thumbup:

On 8/16/2020 at 9:57 PM, DrJimbo said:

Ok, and now the bit I'm most pleased with:

the half unit offset for the doors allowed this simple locking mechanism:

Locked door

Unlocked door:

Locking mechanism:

There is a perfectly positioned gap to receive the 5L beam:

Nicce and simple solution! It works better than my previous design of a door lock.

Allow me to improve only a little bit on this design:

y4mK3B2Hed4tj-7r6J0Mtaor311UuHFfqXr9m7MF

This way, the door handle can't be turned upwards that far.

y4mWmTgka0KAu-6-JJGDbnuAAIcuuiOdlKMg5-QL

On 8/27/2020 at 5:52 PM, chlego said:

Whoah this is amazing! I love the contrasting black color, which you placed also on the bonnet. I think that really is a key design feature of the real thing.

I also like the way you aligned the rear mudguard and the door.:thumbup:

Thanks, I really like the combination too!

On 8/14/2020 at 7:42 PM, CannonballCO said:

Wow 4-door version! Nice! Following!

Thanks!

I have started on the chassis and based it on JB70's pimp my land rover mainly for the gearbox.

I redesigned the front section to get Ackermann steering with these wheels.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I've lengthened the chassis by 7 studs for the rear doors. Next step is to find a way to connect the steering wheel, I changed the steering gears to get 360* rotation in both directions but haven't been able to connect it yet.
5.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

On 8/28/2020 at 10:46 PM, Some Belgian LEGO Fan said:

Nicce and simple solution! It works better than my previous design of a door lock.

Allow me to improve only a little bit on this design:

This way, the door handle can't be turned upwards that far.

y4mWmTgka0KAu-6-JJGDbnuAAIcuuiOdlKMg5-QL

Thanks, this is a nice improvement.Ā 

Ā 

On 8/31/2020 at 12:48 PM, Mike08 said:

Thanks, I really like the combination too!

Thanks!

I have started on the chassis and based it on JB70's pimp my land rover mainly for the gearbox.

I redesigned the front section to get Ackermann steering with these wheels.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I've lengthened the chassis by 7 studs for the rear doors. Next step is to find a way to connect the steering wheel, I changed the steering gears to get 360* rotation in both directions but haven't been able to connect it yet.
5.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Hi congratulations, nice work.

I haveĀ too decided to rebuild my defender in 110 version

20201109-222044.jpg

Edited by barbanera

On 11/9/2019 at 1:51 AM, twoofive said:

Maybe these help:-)Ā 

20191109_104226

Ā 

20191109_10421420191109_104207

Ā 

20191109_10420320191109_104157

Ā 

20191109_104153

Ā 

20191109_104151

Ā 

Ā 

Woah! Can you do a tutorial on that? I hate that extra gearbox in the back!

Keen to see how that turns out @barbanera. I've seen a bunch of extension mods to the set and they all just clone the front door, making it look ridiculous, so a brand new rear door is definitely interesting to see