BrickWild

42110 - Land Rover Defender - MODs and Improvements

On 11/5/2019 at 3:13 AM, twoofive said:

Did some work on the defender:-) .....

It now has a 2 speed gear box through the shifters on the center console. 

a few more photos to show off the interior changes would be great!

I think 2 speed gearbox is sufficient for a great technic model as long as its in the right place (?) as putting a gearbox through almost the whole chassis teaches no one anything about how cars work. sure its very technical to have 8 speed gearboxes n stuff, but....

so nice mods indeed :thumbup:

On 11/6/2019 at 5:58 AM, SimonCK said:

Hi Everyone

I've built my defender to the stage where I can add the wheels to test the gearbox/engine before I start adding the bodywork.  It is suffering badly from the tension problem that others have experienced. 

My question - I saw a comment in another thread about changing the gear ratio from the differentials from 8t-24t to 16t-16t.  Does this meaning changing two sets of 8t-24t gears?  There is one set in the middle of the car just behind the gear selector and another set right at the back behind the rear differential?

Also how would this help, does it reduce tension by equalising the ratios.  I guess it would speed up the engine too which would be a good thing because it turns very slowly.

Thanks, Simon

For anyone still having cracking issues I recommend they follow the advice from @racingbrick's youtube video (already posted).  Works terrifically. 

Hi

Waiting to receive this model, I'm looking at a few modifications including a main : integration of a 6-cylinder V engine (according Twoofive's idea)

1573228726-42110v6-copy.png

For that, I use Studio+2.0, but I didn't have more details than the Twoofive photos, I had to find a solution by myself...
The integration of the motor + transmission is 100% completed, the problem is the modification of the direction axis.

According to my idea, this one is composed of 4 U-joint, but in reality I'm afraid it doesn't work properly in the state...

So I send you my file > https://www.mediafire.com/file/fc4wd0hah7l3agy/42110v6_Copy.io/file  in the hope that you have a better idea to share.
Twoofive's help would also be appreciated :innocent2:

Thanks for all

hi there everyone!
this model just got me back from a second dark age but i will be back soon :D

How's everyone?

gettin back on topic:
did I mount something wrongly or the gearbox of this model goes extremely slowly and the fake engine barely moves when i push it on my desk?

My 2nd favorite(*) community-developed feature on 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS was the lift-off body mod (Credit to @Jetro but later modified by @Didumos69 and @jb70).  Made the innards much more fun to see!  So in their honor I had to make an attempt here.  I present an early version of a lift-off body mod for the Defender:  

https://bricksafe.com/pages/dataninja/42110-liftoff-body-mod

My goal was to keep the looks and functions of the vehicle identical, so I ended up sacrificing a little structural support.  I don't think this holds together yet as well as the original model, so could use some additional reinforcement.  This 1st version doesn't use many additional parts, only a few black 2L friction pins and a dozen red 3L pin+bush.  In the .io file I grouped the pieces into 2 steps, hoping to make it easy to hide the top and see the bottom, or other way around.

Still to work on/improve:

- Not happy with the way the seats attach to the lower body, front or back...

- Create a PDF showing specific steps

- Add structural reinforcement to make it as sturdy as the original

Thanks for @BrickWild for the Stud.io file I tweaked with necessary mods.  

(*) You didn't ask, but my absolute favorite feature was Didumos69 's 90-degree limiter / shift block.  Such an elegant solution, and made the model much more fun than the original.  Lego must agree, Milan put a similar function in the Defender!

Edited by DataNinja
Miscredited another designer for jb70's Pump up my Porsche mod. Sorry!

On 11/6/2019 at 12:58 PM, SimonCK said:

Hi Everyone

I've built my defender to the stage where I can add the wheels to test the gearbox/engine before I start adding the bodywork.  It is suffering badly from the tension problem that others have experienced. 

My question - I saw a comment in another thread about changing the gear ratio from the differentials from 8t-24t to 16t-16t.  Does this meaning changing two sets of 8t-24t gears?  There is one set in the middle of the car just behind the gear selector and another set right at the back behind the rear differential?

Also how would this help, does it reduce tension by equalising the ratios.  I guess it would speed up the engine too which would be a good thing because it turns very slowly.

Thanks, Simon

It is indeed just to speed up the engine,  and both pairs need to be replaced:-) 

14 hours ago, Tonyst4rk80 said:

Hi

Waiting to receive this model, I'm looking at a few modifications including a main : integration of a 6-cylinder V engine (according Twoofive's idea)

1573228726-42110v6-copy.png

For that, I use Studio+2.0, but I didn't have more details than the Twoofive photos, I had to find a solution by myself...
The integration of the motor + transmission is 100% completed, the problem is the modification of the direction axis.

According to my idea, this one is composed of 4 U-joint, but in reality I'm afraid it doesn't work properly in the state...

So I send you my file > https://www.mediafire.com/file/fc4wd0hah7l3agy/42110v6_Copy.io/file  in the hope that you have a better idea to share.
Twoofive's help would also be appreciated :innocent2:

Thanks for all

Hey, nice work you did there:-) i tried to rebiuld the steering to the steering wheel, and it worked, but then came the moment that i ambraced the v8 instead of v6.

Its just the same as the v6, but without the engine mount bracket things. Steering wheel adaptation to inner vehicle is not  possible anymore now. But why ? You cant use the wheel, so in my honest opinion not a must:-) 

I see some of you ask me to provide instructions of my mods? If you want more pictures to build it please ask, and i will make photos. Not planning to make ' instructions' because i wouldnt know how:-( 

On 10/29/2019 at 9:35 PM, romashkaman said:

@Bricktrain could you make the video of the test of your configuration?) I guess the performance should be quite the same as 42099's, correct me if I'm wrong (in case there is no additional gear reduction or whatever else)

This one I built for a friend, I hope to build my own in the next week or so.

I improved the steering axis with some internal changes, now this one consists of 3 U-joints instead of 4.

It's better, but I still have a doubt about the reliability, because everything goes to millimeter and considering the number of joints, I miss a support axis to prevent it from moving during rotations ...

I also made some changes seen on eurobrick :
On the front, replacement of the lights stickers with real lights + addition of a shield
On the doors, addition of a locking system
On the transmission, replacement of two axes of 4 and 8 by a single of 12

Some pics :

1573403013-42110v6-general.png

1573403089-42110v6-capot.png

1573403041-42110v6-espace-arbre.png

1573403056-42110v6-arbre2.png

1573403067-42110v6-arbre3.png

1573403113-42110v6-bouclier.png

1573403121-42110v6-bouclier-2.png

1573403136-42110v6-porte.png

.io file >> http://www.mediafire.com/file/6msidvehp5l9y18/42110v6.io/file

Edited by Tonyst4rk80

@Tonyst4rk80

I took your big Boo-bar and made some attachment- and light changes.

42110_big_boo_3.png

Looks good on the Landy!

42110_big_boo_2_copy.png

Did it in metalized Silver to show how beautifull it looks.

42110_big_boo_2_copy_2.png

In black it is still awesome!

Models made in LDD and Stud.io.

Renders made in Stud.io

Works in real life too. (only two parts missing...)

img_20191111_120641.jpg

Edited by JunkstyleGio

20191111_122746

Awesome:-) rebuild my version , curved on top and added 2 lights:-) 

Thx, i go on search for the programs:-)

Chrome Grill looks amazing.  I think I might apply it to mine. Question for the group- I know if Chrome City Bricks and Real Chrome on BL but the parts selection is so limited.  I see so many with pics of a part selection much more extensive than what I see at either of these two stores.  ANyone have recommendations of other stores?

can someone help me use Studio? Im trying to use these Mods above and I have no idea what to do. I loaded the file and see the entire car, im trying to do the Body removal MOD.

Thank you for any help!

2 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

Link not working, picture not visible

IMO the original design has a big mistake: the gear sequence is wrong: If you switch to a higher gear, the engine speeds up. Everybody knows, that in real cars the engine speeds up, when you switch to a lower gear. The reverse gear had a gear ratio similar to 4th gear and did not have any impact on Hi/Lo switch. 

So I totally redesigned the complete gear train. And as a side effect I could get rid of the 4 universal joints to connect the gearbox. Now the gearbox is directly connected to the DNR switch with straight axles, avoiding friction and torsion in the gear train. 

42110%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Landrover-geart

MPD file and PDF instructions have been published on rebrickable.com:

42110%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Landrover-geart

So pimp up your Landrover, if you like!

Edited by jb70
Links updated

@jb70

Excellent work! Will you be keeping the Pimp up my landrover project going like with the porsche/bugatti?

Ill probably build it in pimped out spec straight away when i finally get one.

14 hours ago, jb70 said:

IMO the original design has a big mistake: the gear sequence is wrong: If you switch to a higher gear, the engine speeds up. Everybody knows, that in real cars the engine speeds up, when you switch to a lower gear. The reverse gear had a gear ratio similar to 4th gear and did not have any impact on Hi/Lo switch. 

So I totally redesigned the complete gear train. And as a side effect I could get rid of the 4 universal joints to connect the gearbox. Now the gearbox is directly connected to the DNR switch with straight axles, avoiding friction and torsion in the gear train. 

800x800.jpg

MPD file and PDF instructions have been published on rebrickable.com:

800x566.jpg

So pimp up your Landrover, if you like!

Nice tranny rebuild!  Looks like you resolved problem I was having with a gear clicking, looked to me like it was the big gear on the red diff rubbing into the red bush right next to it.  Was never a fan of the universal joints throughout the drivetrain, so very excited about trying yours out.  When I get pieces in I'm going to try to combine my liftoff body mod with your PDF.  Thanks for your efforts!