Sign in to follow this  
Lego David

LEGO Ideas Support Thread: Bionicle

With the recent confirmation that Bionicle is allowed on LEGO Ideas, people started submitting some projects, with 3 currently active ones.

Don't hesitate to check out those projects, and if you like any of them, consider giving them your support.

The Legend of Bionicle: Celebrating 20 years of LEGO Stories by Sokoda

Bionicle: Toa in the Temple of Time by grumblebricks

Bionicle Toa Mata  by Opi812

What are your thoughts on those? And will you support any of them?

I will caution against such a thread as we do generally discourage for IDEAS projects to be presented in such a way, we prefer for the focus to be on the MOC itself and not the promotion of the project.

LEGO Ideas: If you have a great MOC, that is also a LEGO Ideas project, you may present it on EB as you would any MOC, with a single link to the Ideas entry. Make the title about the MOC, not the Ideas business; don't be too shouty, and it is likely to be tolerated. You need to be thinking: 'I want people on EB to see my MOC and comment on it. If they like it, perhaps they'll support it on LEGO Ideas', rather than: 'I want Ideas support! If I post it on EB, perhaps more people will vote!.

And so I would encourage that anyone who has a Bionicle IDEAS project to present it as a MOC here on the forums, with a simple link to the project, as the guidelines suggest. 

However, Bionicle now being allowed on IDEAS is a topic worth discussing, and I can see some value in using this thread to discuss ideas of what kinds of projects people would like to see. Plus, with the activity levels as they are in the constraction community, it's doubtful any of these projects will get much exposure unless we as a Bionicle community work to share them around.

Personally, I think if anything under the Bionicle trademark could legitimately win, it would likely have to be primarily system based. I would assume there isn't much in the way of Bionicle parts left in production, and any IDEAS set that relies on constraction parts isn't really possible given the constraints of IDEAS sets in general.

9 hours ago, VBBN said:

I will caution against such a thread as we do generally discourage for IDEAS projects to be presented in such a way, we prefer for the focus to be on the MOC itself and not the promotion of the project.

Should I edit my initial post?

On 10/4/2019 at 1:20 PM, Lego David said:

With the recent confirmation that Bionicle is allowed on LEGO Ideas, people started submitting some projects, with 3 currently active ones.

Don't hesitate to check out those projects, and if you like any of them, consider giving them your support.

The Legend of Bionicle: Celebrating 20 years of LEGO Stories by Sokoda

Bionicle: Toa in the Temple of Time by grumblebricks

Bionicle Toa Mata  by Opi812

What are your thoughts on those? And will you support any of them?

I supported the Bionicle 20th Anniversary product idea by Sokoda because I like it the most and its design is very feasible.

Edited by MatthewRC
Added product idea creator's name

On 10/6/2019 at 5:29 PM, MatthewRC said:

I supported the Bionicle 20th Anniversary product idea by Sokoda because I like it the most and its design is very feasible.

Dang, that project in particular has already garnered nearly 7000 supporters in just nine days... :distressed:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Dang, that project in particular has already garnered nearly 7000 supporters in just nine days... :distressed:

This does indeed prove that LEGO fans want Bionicle to come back, especially the original G1 storyline.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Dang, that project in particular has already garnered nearly 7000 supporters in just nine days...

Do you have any personal opinion on it?

Edited by Lego David

That Matoro scene in Sokoda's MOC is gorgeous, I'd love to have that on my shelf. It has my support, as does the temple of time. I don't think the Toa Mata one is realistic unfortunately, too many old molds.

Regardless if these make it, I hope Bionicle gets some kind of acknowledgement from LEGO for it's 20th birthday, Ideas approved or not.

10 hours ago, Lego David said:

Yes.

Well, it is really well composed and constructed, though I can't quite properly judge it since I'm very ignorant on the source material and its respective lore. :def_shrug:

Fans of Bionicle obviously seem pleased with this, which is important, but to me, who knows nothing of Bionicle, it looks confusing.

It has 3 sides, with different scales of figures, depicting what exactly?

My point is that unless you remember Bionicle, this will have very limited appeal.

I'm not saying that they shoouldn't make it, or that it shouldn't be supported, but I thought I'd give my outsider view.

20 minutes ago, leafan said:

My point is that unless you remember Bionicle, this will have very limited appeal. 

I think there is a place for niche things like this on the LEGO market nowadays. Voltron made it, and that was from the 80's, so I'd say this at least stands a chance. I understand non-Bionicle fans being very confused by this though. It's a micro build of three important scenes in the Bionicle storyline, so if you didn't follow it, this probably doesn't make any sense. I don't see anyone just walking into the LEGO store and grabbing this unless they are a Bionicle fan, but there's lots of us out there :classic:

Just now, arc said:

I think there is a place for niche things like this on the LEGO market nowadays. Voltron made it, and that was from the 80's, so I'd say this at least stands a chance. I understand non-Bionicle fans being very confused by this though. It's a micro build of three important scenes in the Bionicle storyline, so if you didn't follow it, this probably doesn't make any sense. I don't see anyone just walking into the LEGO store and grabbing this unless they are a Bionicle fan, but there's lots of us out there :classic:

I accept your points, but Voltron looks like a cool robot and a bit like a transformer, so even if you don't know much about it, I could see a purchase there.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:29 PM, leafan said:

I accept your points, but Voltron looks like a cool robot and a bit like a transformer, so even if you don't know much about it, I could see a purchase there.

A lot of non-Bionicle fans supported the project just because they liked the build, even if they didn't understand what it meant. So a few non-Bionicle fans purchasing it too isn't excluded either.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:03 AM, Lego David said:

A lot of non-Bionicle fans supported the project just because they liked the build, even if they didn't understand what it meant. So a few non-Bionicle fans purchasing it too isn't excluded either.

Even disregarding them all together, I think there's enough of us Bionicle fans to warrant one little niche set. It's at over 8,000 as of posting, it's inevitable it's going to get to 10,000. I just hope it passes. 

9 hours ago, arc said:

Even disregarding them all together, I think there's enough of us Bionicle fans to warrant one little niche set. It's at over 8,000 as of posting, it's inevitable it's going to get to 10,000. I just hope it passes

Not to mention how fast it's been growing. If it keeps growing at this rate, it would probably reach 10.000 in two weeks at most.

It's easily one of the fastest growing LEGO Ideas Projects of all time!

9 hours ago, arc said:

I just hope it passes

Yeah... getting it to 10.000 wasn't even that hard... getting it approved would probably be the hardest.

In your opinion, what are some reasons you think LEGO would or wouldn't accept it?

15 hours ago, arc said:

Even disregarding them all together, I think there's enough of us Bionicle fans to warrant one little niche set. It's at over 8,000 as of posting, it's inevitable it's going to get to 10,000. I just hope it passes. 

Do Bionicle fans want a Bionicle set made out of system parts? I guess the votes for this say yes. It is interesting that the system set is doing way better than the more traditional Bionicle set.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

I guess the votes for this say yes. It is interesting that the system set is doing way better than the more traditional Bionicle set

Fans would actually want it to be constraction actually... The problem is that it's uncertain whether LEGO Ideas allows discontinued parts/molds, so making a system project has a much bigger chance of getting approved by LEGO  than one made out of Traditional Bionicle pieces.

Edited by Lego David

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

In your opinion, what are some reasons you think LEGO would or wouldn't accept it?

I think it really depends on what LEGO's threshold is for interest. IDEAS requires 10k votes- so is that the sales goal they have for the set once it's put into production? Is it less than that, and they want 10k to hedge their bets?

They have done some very niche sets. Big Bang Theory, Women of NASA, Beetles Yellow Submarine, etc. It's pretty doubtful that most casual people would purchase those sets, that is definitely targeted towards a very specific audience. This Bionicle set is no different; yeah, it's cool to those of us who grew up with this theme and lived those 10 years of story. These three scenes mean something, and I think we all are doing our part to show LEGO that Bionicle is still a brand with a following. 

But let's not kid ourselves, this set has very very limited shelf value. Most people casually walking in to a LEGO store are not going to pay much attention to this set or really understand it. Yet it has a much larger chance than any revival of Bionicle does. G2 absolutely killed this brand's value for many chain stores due to it's sales, and it's doubtful LEGO would be able to sell much to stores anytime soon. But this set is our best chance of getting something because it would be released only in LEGO stores where they can understand the potential demand. 

IDEAS has put out an incredibly wide variety of sets; I can only hope that we can add this to that variety. 

On 10/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, Lego David said:

Fans would actually want it to be constraction actually... The problem is that it's uncertain whether LEGO Ideas allows discontinued parts/molds, so making a system project has a much bigger chance of getting approved by LEGO  than one made out of Traditional Bionicle pieces.

Not according to the voting they don't. The system set has far more votes than the constraction set. The voters don't want Bionicle to return through IDEAS as constraction, but as system.

6 hours ago, MAB said:

Not according to the voting they don't. The system set has far more votes than the constraction set. The voters don't want Bionicle to return through IDEAS as constraction, but as system.

The reason why the System one got so many supporters is because it got a lot of promotion... the other ones did not.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, Lego David said:

The reason why the System one got so many supporters is because it got a lot of promotion... the other ones did not.

Not only that, I think fans know LEGO isn't going to bring back a bunch of discontinued molds just for a one off ideas set. This one actually has a chance at being made. 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:39 PM, Lego David said:
On 10/17/2019 at 2:11 PM, arc said:

Even disregarding them all together, I think there's enough of us Bionicle fans to warrant one little niche set. It's at over 8,000 as of posting, it's inevitable it's going to get to 10,000. I just hope it passes

Not to mention how fast it's been growing. If it keeps growing at this rate, it would probably reach 10.000 in two weeks at most.

It's easily one of the fastest growing LEGO Ideas Projects of all time!

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas The Legend of the BIONICLE Achieves 10,000 Supporters

The Legend of the BIONICLE: Celebrating 20 years of LEGO stories by Sokoda is the latest project to achieve 10,000 supporters on LEGO Ideas. BIONICLE has been a very popular theme in the community and this project is to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the theme which includes some of the most important scenes from the storyline which includes Tahu’s Arrival, Matoro’s Destiny, and The Final Battle.

The project now joins Queen: I Want to Break FreeSeinfeld 30th AnniversaryThe Legend of Zelda: BotW StablesPlanet Express Delivery ShipRatatouille: Open The Doors!, and LEGO Typewriter as the projects to reach the Third 2019 Review Stage.

Edited by Digger of Bricks