I would like to share with you my latest achievement, a maze solver. The maze is 4m² and has 100 boxes of 18cm x 18 cm. The robot has 4 ultrasonic detectors to analyse each case and mecanum wheels driven by 4 vertical engines.  

The whole is controlled by an EV3 brick hidden inside.
You can follow the robot’s path on a second EV3 brick by bluetooth as well as its analysis which may lead to prohibit certain boxes.

The robot measures 15cm x 15 cm and it is therefore difficult to move accurately in the labyrinth without hitting the walls. That was one of the difficulties, but I wanted it to be aesthetic and therefore with a body.

When the robot arrives in a cell, it analyzes the 4 faces. If it sees 3 walls it blacklists the cell. If there are 2 walls and a forbidden cell next to it, it also blacklists the cell. At each cell it updates an array data of 100 datas, 1 per cell. In this array we will find all the informations about the path of the robot. In case of iddentic choice the robot randomly chooses its direction.

Solving maze.jpg

Edited by pasquentmax

Wow! Impressive ... Also the effort you put in creating this maze that fits the robot perfectly, the combination of non-Lego wheels with Lego. My compliments! This should be a hit at local Lego demonstrations.

Nicely done.

I agree, the maze it self is awesome. I also like the look of the robot and especially the feedback to the second EV3 is great.

To me it would look even more awesome, if the robot did not stop inside each cell of the maze. Maybe you could consider to modify your programming, so that the robot only stops when necessary in order to change direction.

21 hours ago, Munchkin255 said:

Nicely done.

I agree, the maze it self is awesome. I also like the look of the robot and especially the feedback to the second EV3 is great.

To me it would look even more awesome, if the robot did not stop inside each cell of the maze. Maybe you could consider to modify your programming, so that the robot only stops when necessary in order to change direction.

+1

I have absolutely nothing to add to this post :laugh: :thumbup:

@pasquentmax Can you add a screenshot to your first post, so I can do some promotion :wink: 

On 10/6/2019 at 12:02 PM, Munchkin255 said:

Nicely done.

Thank you very much. This is true for the remark I could not have stopped in every cell, but I had problems with the mecanum wheels and their drift; it was easier to redo a RAZ every time. The problem is there’s not much room between the robot and the wall. Probably spending a lot of time I would have managed to do it, but the most interesting was the maze resolution algorithm and the transmission to the other EV3. Thank you for your encouraging comments.

Edited by pasquentmax

3 hours ago, Jim said:

+1

I have absolutely nothing to add to this post :laugh: :thumbup:

@pasquentmax Can you add a screenshot to your first post, so I can do some promotion :wink: 

Thanks !!! but what do you expect excatly by screenshot ? from youtube video ?

Sorry, I meant a picture (or image in general).

Cool robot!

I have a question, at 1:00 minute in the video your robot marks the entry square as forbidden, why? It has a forbidden block next to it, but only 1 wall (not 2).

Because of that it also marks the next 2 blocks as forbidden, but those two blocks including the entry block are part of the solution...

Does it use the 'finger to the wall' algorithm? Very nice job! I hope one day LEGO will also release those omni-wheels, would be great for First LEGO League etc.

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

Utilise-t-il l'algorithme du «doigt au mur»? Très bon travail! J'espère qu'un jour LEGO publiera également ces roues omni, ce serait formidable pour la First LEGO League, etc.

No it does not use this algorithm, it gradually condemns the boxes and makes random choices when there are several possibilities. And he never returns to a condemned box. He eventually finds the way out, it goes faster on average than the hand to the left or to the right.

5 hours ago, ChrisO said:

Robot cool!

J'ai une question, à 1:00 minute dans la vidéo votre robot marque la place d'entrée comme interdite, pourquoi? Il y a un bloc interdit à côté, mais seulement 1 mur (pas 2).

Pour cette raison, les 2 blocs suivants sont également interdits, mais ces deux blocs, y compris le bloc d'entrée, font partie de la solution ...

his is the starting point, he knows that entry is a forbidden exit and so it is like a wall. It is normal that he condemns the cell.

10 hours ago, pasquentmax said:

his is the starting point, he knows that entry is a forbidden exit and so it is like a wall. It is normal that he condemns the cell.

The door closes behind him as he enters the maze :classic:

Thank you for posting such an interesting build.  I just need to find some time to act on the inspiration that you have provided :classic:

Evil mode on.

What happens if you block the exit so there is no solution?

7 minutes ago, MAB said:

Evil mode on.

What happens if you block the exit so there is no solution?

He’s gonna go back and go through all the open cells... and when he does all that, it’s gonna be the big bug. I didn’t handle the situation, I could have blown it up.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:50 PM, pasquentmax said:

...the most interesting was the maze resolution algorithm and the transmission to the other EV3.

Thank you for replying.

If you would like to work on another maze solving algorithm, may I suggest that you look into an algorithm, where the robot returns to the starting cell/box of the maze using the shortest route available.

On 10/8/2019 at 8:36 AM, Boulderer said:

The door closes behind him as he enters the maze :classic:

Priceless - Sound very much like a classic dungeon crawler role playing game.