Lego David

Hidden Side VS Monster Fighters

This

On 2/3/2020 at 2:39 AM, kelceycoe said:

the Gothic eras MFers were based

and the "early movies"-like setting ( Addams Family ) are the reasons why I prefer MF.  The MF minifigs are great characters. 

Unfortunately this debate seems to be too much "old" vs "new" . People who love Stranger Things and Scooby Doo love Hidden Side. But those who love the more horror stuff (Ghostbusters, Universal Studios Monster films) love the Monster Fighters line the most.

I can tell you, putting a couple sets from HS with my setup, HS sets do not integrate well with anything but City, Swamp, Fairground, Nautical, and even Ghostbuster themes.

Scooby Doo, sadly due to its cartoony look, is its own theme and USM and MF fit well together. Hell even some of the older Harry Potter sets fit well sith MF.

I don't have Monster Fighter sets (or Hidden Side) , but from a builds/figures perspective, MF looks a lot more interesting.

Yes, Figures do repeat even in MF but nowhere near the same frequency of how often Hidden Side figures repeat (some different outfits but still repeat the same character)

Also actual varied monsters instead of relying on Augmented Reality for many.

Hidden Side has great side characters for sure, but also sets rely a lot on many stickers for details, especially the School.

I'm still looking forward for pictures of the Castle/Prison but with limited space to display sets, I've been a lot more selective in 2020 (and some big-hitters like Pirate Bay / Pirate Ship on the horizon)

Edited by TeriXeri

Monster Fighters, simply for the variety of Monsters. I would have preferred the actual monster fighters to be either 50's style or modern, but not a mash up of both (robotic arms, etc)

If Lego was a little more crafty they'd bring one or two of the Monster fighters into Hiddenside. People love a good crossover.

I prefer Monster Fighters figures better. The ghosts of Hidden Side just don't do it for me. Can't really explain why, except they are not ghost-y enough.

But apart from the execution of ghosts, I really like the Lovecraftian vibe I get from the HS stuff. And the sets have been decent.

Steve

Personally, I would have to go with MF over HS. With HS there is almost a sense that the sets are using the app to add depth that may be lacking in the physical sets. With HS most of the emphasis is placed on the integration with the app, and any further gameplay that the app may provide, and thus did not provide as much playability (physically) with the sets themselves. 

Also I'm very nostalgic about MF, which clouds judgement :P

However, I can see the appeal of HS sets. The (arguably bold) choice to integrate a mobile app so deeply into a theme's gameplay is exciting and would certainly appeal to the KFOLs and TFOLs today, and the lore/premise is interesting too