Here is my take on the motorization of the 42110.

1280x960.jpg

Basically the whole model was lifted to accomodate the bigger wheel, motors and BuWizzes.

• Model is powered by a total of 8 motors, 4L motors for RWD, 2L motors for FWD, one servo and one M motor. Total gear ratio is 1:3.
  • It uses custom portal hubs in the front which have a pivot even closer than normal ones thanks to the new rims. Rear uses normal hubs and wheels, since they are sturdier.
  • Axles use the original suspension's upper arms as mounting points along with a pair of 9L links for each axle.
  • The original gearbox is connected to the rear drive, so it works normally.
  • Steering is also connected to the original links, so steerign wheel and HOG also turn when steering
  • Winch is motorized using an M motor.

Video coming soon.

1:3 gear ratio ....!! plus 6 L motors on the drive shaft = Fast!!!   Can't wait to see the video!!!  

With this lift of the chassis it definitely lacks some distance between the axles/length/needs to be 5 door variant ;-) It looked to short as it was as the original, but now being even higher this seems even more pronounced. Nonetheless - looking forward to the video.

59 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

With this lift of the chassis it definitely lacks some distance between the axles/length/needs to be 5 door variant ;-) It looked to short as it was as the original, but now being even higher this seems even more pronounced. Nonetheless - looking forward to the video.

Yes, it's short and tall now, but I had to give it a big lift to fit the bigger tyres and motors under the original chassis. I will start working on video as soon as the weather clears up a bit.

3 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I will start working on video as soon as the weather clears up a bit.

Which could be expected tomorrow. Weather forecast is not that bad for weekend :wink:

At the first sight it reminds me a bit on yellow Landy that was introduced on one crawler contest (built on black 9398 chassis)

That is an offroader :laugh:. And it should have enough power (gosh, 6L motors). Why did you keep the gearbox? Is it to demonstrate the effect on the fake engine revving? 

3 hours ago, grego18f said:

Is it to demonstrate the effect on the fake engine revving? 

Exactly! Nah, just wanted to motorize it while keeping all original functions. Motorizing it through the original gearbox would be exremely inefficient.

3 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Exactly! Nah, just wanted to motorize it while keeping all original functions. Motorizing it through the original gearbox would be exremely inefficient.

Ok :classic:. Indeed, motorizing it the other way could lead to gear lock as the gearbox is designed to run the engine thanks to the wheels and not the opposite. Looking forward to seeing your video!

So, no further pictures before the video release? Any chance? :moar:

I took the time today to record the model outside, please check the video here:

If you want to build your own chassis for the model, please click on the image below to download the LDD file:

1280x677.jpg

One more tip for anyone rebuilding the chassis with BuWizz. Use the tracked steer module at factor 0.3 to power the left and right side wheels. This will drastically increase maneuverability.

Few additional photos I took outside:

1280x960.jpg

I think it really looks in it's element:

1280x960.jpg

To conclude, I am suprised how well the model actually crawls in the real world. I expected more issues due to it's heavy rear and high center of gravity and weight.

No broken gears or U joints, so IMO this was a real success.

Edited by Zerobricks

I really want to build a chassis like this to lift my defender but I do not want the power functions. Can you help please?

22 hours ago, Neil_Dalby said:

I really want to build a chassis like this to lift my defender but I do not want the power functions. Can you help please?

Just build it without PF motors then? Use normal technic bricks insetad of motors as placeholders for support.