Those Damned Cannons -Keymonus

Restoring Order to Chaos -Roadmonkeytj

Relief Mission - Gedren_y 

The road towards peace - Keymonus

The town over the cliffs - Keymonus

The Battle for Lowtown - Keymonus

Civilization is Returning - Roadmonkeytj

28 September 619, Infero Pordejon, Fort San Millar

The black flag of the rebels was still waving in the wind, but it was not going to last: the tides had turned.

IMG_E2798

The tides had turned. After a long shelling with the few cannons available, the strong walls of Fort San Millar were finally breached, and the final assault began. The fort, once the pride of the Ashen Guard, had been occupied since the first days of disorders by a cruel group of smugglers: they made huge profits closing the port and profiting on the provisions, even if this caused a terrible famine and made violence explode in the streets. But finally the tides had turned, and the fort represented the last stronghold of the rebel pirates.

IMG_2807

By sure, the fort was intimidating, with 32 pounders towards the bay, sturdy walls and two of the sides right above vertical cliffs. However, as Tristan had realised studying the maps, the fort had not been projected to withstand a strong assault by land: some of the walls were too low and too exposed to artillery. He doubted that it was an error in the project: since a land attack could start only from Charlatan Bay itself, more probably, the Dark Bishop didn't want to transform the fort in an impregnable fortress for a rebel garrison… whatever the cause, Tristan was more than grateful for that. 

IMG_2806

In that moment, Tristan heard the first musket salvos and the screams of the wounded men. It was time to move. He incited his men, an heterogeneous group of Oleander volunteers and local militiamen, and jumped on his boat.

IMG_2800

The battle plan was simple but, hopefully, effective: a frontal assault against the lowest wall, followed by a flanking attack from the cliffs, with boats and grappling hooks, to neutralize the cannons before they could be turned towards the parade ground.

IMG_2803

IMG_2816

IMG_2817

The hooks were thrown towards the parapet. There was no more time to think now: thirty minutes of fire and blood and everything would have been over, in a way or in the other. Tristan unsheathed the sword and shouted a war cry, followed by his men. That day, if Ares was with them, they would have seen the end of battle for Charlatan Bay.

IMG_2814

IMG_2815

The battle for the external walls:

IMG_2808

To the breach!

IMG_2810

A barrel of gunpowder thrown by the defenders:

IMG_2802

IMG_2799

In the parade ground:

IMG_2809

Counterattack of the defenders:

IMG_2811

A cannon and ammunitions:

IMG_2813

A bird's eye view:

IMG_2818

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fort San Millar was finally assaulted. This is probably my last build for this storyline, but the future of Charlatan Bay is still uncertain, and peace will be frail for a long time, so... who knows? Probably Tristan will leave for the North, the Great Alliance States, the ice and the steppes, for the desert of New Oleon, the woods of Varcoast or the Southern Seas. I hope you enjoyed my builds in this storyline, and the story itself. I did. Again, I have to thank @Kwatchi and @Gulagurag, even if probably they won't read this, for the great storyline of the Dark Bishop and Charlatan Bay. In many cases, my builds retrace theirs (Fort San Millar itself, for example), or things they wrote about the settlement.

Rest assured Keymonus, you and Roadmonkeytj have kept me entertained with where you taken the Charlatan Bay story.  I smiled when I saw your interpretation of the sloped walls of San Millar and the reasoning behind the low rear parapet - nice work.

I as well have enjoyed this story ... Rest assured even though our paths may part I doubt this is the end of this story 

The build was great just as you did with the battery you've once again captured the build!

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, Wellesley said:

This is a great build with some really scenic shots!

Thank you! To realize them I "killed" some minifigures with the camera several times, so it wasn't in vain :grin:

19 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Rest assured Keymonus, you and Roadmonkeytj have kept me entertained with where you taken the Charlatan Bay story.  I smiled when I saw your interpretation of the sloped walls of San Millar and the reasoning behind the low rear parapet - nice work.

Thank you! The fort was one of the first builds I saw here in BoBS, and the angled walls impressed me a lot even because, as I realized, they are horribly difficult to put together! :tongue: About the parapet, I think that your Dark Bishop could have thought something similar (and more trivially, because my grey bricks and studs were running dangerously low! :tongue::tongue::tongue:)

15 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I as well have enjoyed this story ... Rest assured even though our paths may part I doubt this is the end of this story 

The build was great just as you did with the battery you've once again captured the build!

Thank you! For now Tristan is still "parked" in Charlatan Bay, so feel free to use in your builds for any meeting, celebrative parade or similar! 

Sweet mayham, what a glorious fight! :thumbup:

Once again a great build of yours, I love how much there is going on for the comparatively little space. Getting angled walls right can be tricky, ou have done a good job here. Overall well done, I hope we get a conclusion soon. :pir-classic:

8 hours ago, Darnok said:

Sweet mayham, what a glorious fight! :thumbup:

Once again a great build of yours, I love how much there is going on for the comparatively little space. Getting angled walls right can be tricky, ou have done a good job here. Overall well done, I hope we get a conclusion soon. :pir-classic:

Thank you! Ordering a large stock of muskets proved to be quite useful! :pir-classic:

7 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Nice battle scene !

What about a big explosion scene when the barrel explode ?

I like the rendering of this sloped/inclined wall

Thank you! Actually I usually prefer a single scene depicted without changes from different angles, but… a big explosion? Somebody ordered a big explosion? A Big explosion for table 2? :grin:

IMG-2822

Just now, Keymonus said:

IMG-2822

Damn, this is such a cool idea! *oh2*

Now I need one of these bushes in dark tan or something, so gonna steal this! :pir-grin:

Thanks! My only tip is to keep the little pin outside, so the flames remain in position  better. :classic:

19 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Somebody ordered a big explosion?

IMG-2822

Ohhhhh aahhhh ....definately useful for the future

Thank you guys! I built the explosion quite in a short time, but it turned out unexpectedly well! Even if we don’t know exactly how we will continue the story, consider this build as a “season 1 end”. Soon (hopefully, as usual)we will have an aftermath of the battle, and probably a new storyline, so stay tuned!

Great writing and excellent photo shooting. It was a enjoyable reading. The fort itself looks quite good, my favourite part is the sloped wall.:thumbup: