Sign in to follow this  
mdbz

(MOC)(WIP) New loco from Spark Industries

Hello!

This is my first design which modelling a real one. (to have some fun: free to guess, what was the original)

Width: 7 studs and 1 plate, Length : 50  studs

Drive: 2 PF m motor. (3 axle bogies, 2 driven) 

First step: final version (?) of the base with some details:800x450.jpg  

Looks similar to my (yet unfinished) attempt to model the famous DB 103 in 8 wide  ;)

23 hours ago, knotian said:

Hey Great!  I've always hoped someone wouild model a Great Lakes ore carrier.

21 hours ago, Dav1d said:

That's a boat not a loco.

:) It's funny, but that is not a boat of course. But I must admit, it's ship shape thing (at first sight). I have to add some details to prove that it's a loco :)

23 hours ago, CaL said:

Looks similar to my (yet unfinished) attempt to model the famous DB 103 in 8 wide  ;)

Nice guess as the two locos are similar. Have You got a link to your design?

Sooo, the bogies are ready (structurally, but I need to add some details later). There was some progress in the building also.

Step 2: boat with some strange bogies :)                    800x450.jpg

I'm glad the humor didn't fall completely flat. I've working on a great lakes / blast furnace  diorama and had freighters on my bean.:classic:

Love the little boat! But why did you post in train tech? Oh wait, there are bogies!

I am going to guess it'll be a DB class 112, or similar...

so we all guessed wrong its a nohab loco! thats nice too!

Edited by XG BC

Yesss, it's a Nohab di3. These locos used to pull the holiday trains near Lake Balaton in my childhood and became an icon in Hungary. Some of them were renovated, and can be seen at Hungarian Railway Museum.

nohab_loco_in_the_turntable__5_by_morphe

There wasn't much progress (busy weekend), but the bogies are done. 199 parts each.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg 

Next step is the assembling, and doing some tests on the track.

Looks like significant progress has been made. Really starting to look like the pictured locomotive.

Really nice design and progress.  I recommend the old 9v magnets - those plus brick-built buffers would look more realistic than the all-in-one part that comes with trains from sets today (BL parts 2920, 73092)

Edited by Vilhelm22

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Realice design and progress.  I recommend the old 9v magnets - those plus brick-built buffers would look more realistic than the all-in-one part that comes with trains from sets today (BL parts 2920, 73092)

Heyy, it's a good idea! I tried to redesign the buffer area, but the brick built buffers seems weird. The problem is the scale. The 2*2 round tile represents about 85 cm diameter, but the real ones are way smaller. I think that brick built buffers are seem good in 9W or bigger models.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have done the test runs, and it was succesful. She can handle all the standart geometry tracks, but looks much better on r72 curves and r104 switches.

Not a fast one, but there is room for impovement (there is enough room to change the M motors to L, more horsepower might bring higher speed)

1280x960.jpg

Waiting for the missing parts...

Just swapping to L motors will not increase speed, you must change gearing.

L motor has more torque than an M motor, so I would use L motors, paired with higher gearing.....

Edited by Selander
Spelling mistake

Thank You! Yes, it was built for the contest, I just need to take some better pictures to enter.