Troglodyte

LEGO IDEAS - Dinosaurs Fossils Skeletons

4 hours ago, NathanR said:

The press release stated that the dinosaurs were 1:32 scale models. The T-rex was up to 40ft long (12.4m), so at this scale it should be 38.75cm, press release states the model is 40cm long. Close enough for me.  I think the minifigures are only really there for playability, but they are roughly the right size (true minifig scale seems to range from 1:24 to 1:44?)

Hmm, I see this line of argumentation. Of course, minifig proportions are different to real humans, which distorts attempts to establish a scale a bit. But ok, its Lego and not an exact scientific reproduction! :classic:

I think the set itself is OK, although I'm not a fan of the bulky style of the dinosaurs.

However, I don't think it is a very good rendition of the Ideas set that was proposed. They changed the build style. They changed the dominant colour. They changed the proposed contents. The LEGO designer even put in a reference to himself. They might as well have rejected the Ideas set and made their own.

I think what people should realise is, that a LEGO "Ideas" project is just an "idea" for them to make a set upon. I'm sure LEGO does not have the urge to stay as close as possible to the project. Instead they take the idea and make a set out of it, that goes along with their standards of quality like sturdiness, playability etc. And they have to look economically at it. There is an interesting article on Brickset saying they would have to make 46 parts new in tan, that haven't been produced at all or just way back in comparison with the actual set. Imagine how many new parts they wood have needed for something close to the project?

45 minutes ago, julesvincent said:

I think what people should realise is, that a LEGO "Ideas" project is just an "idea" for them to make a set upon. I'm sure LEGO does not have the urge to stay as close as possible to the project. Instead they take the idea and make a set out of it, that goes along with their standards of quality like sturdiness, playability etc. And they have to look economically at it. There is an interesting article on Brickset saying they would have to make 46 parts new in tan, that haven't been produced at all or just way back in comparison with the actual set. Imagine how many new parts they wood have needed for something close to the project?

I'm sure most people do know an idea is an idea and that LEGO tend to redesign a bit. However, this is getting close to the amount of redesign they did on the Ship in a Bottle, as in a complete redesign. 

That 46 parts is if they switched the colours of the design as it has been made. However, the number could well be lower if they had used other parts that do exist in tan.

I can understand that they wanted to keep the price down and so have skimped on printed parts and used stickers instead, haven't gone for any recolours in parts (such as the ball joints) and so on but if they have just used common parts in white, then the incentive to buy is much lower. It might have a good price per part ratio but if they are all common parts then chances are it is not as good value as it might appear. It would have been more attractive if the cost was a little higher and they had gone for printed display plaques and a few new coloured parts.

I don't mind the white color. Tan or white is not important for me. However, the dinosaurs in the original Ideas project looked way more like skeletons construction-wise. I don't care if they were sturdy or not - this is a display model - they looked real and attractive, and there was way more variety. The only thing I like in this set is the head of T-Rex, all the rest is just not up to the level of aesthetics of the original creation. It's a rare thing when I dislike the Ideas set, but I'm passing this one even though I like the subject matter.

4 hours ago, julesvincent said:

I think what people should realise is, that a LEGO "Ideas" project is just an "idea" for them to make a set upon.

That's understandable. It's just that the set they made is less attractive than the original idea in the first place, which I personally expected to be the other way around.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

I can understand that they wanted to keep the price down and so have skimped on printed parts and used stickers instead, haven't gone for any recolours in parts (such as the ball joints) and so on but if they have just used common parts in white, then the incentive to buy is much lower. It might have a good price per part ratio but if they are all common parts then chances are it is not as good value as it might appear. It would have been more attractive if the cost was a little higher and they had gone for printed display plaques and a few new coloured parts.

I agree with you on the stickers, that really shouldn't have been a problem to make the name tags as prints. As I heard though, the towballs or sockets are tough to make with different colours as they change the material properties quite a bit, can't tell you a source though. I guess by now they would've made them in different colours if it was easy. There are quite a few sets where grey doesn't fit the scheme of the build. But in the end, it is Lego and you don't have to buy it if you don't like it, or do buy it and change what you want ;)

59 minutes ago, meliander said:

I don't mind the white color. Tan or white is not important for me. However, the dinosaurs in the original Ideas project looked way more like skeletons construction-wise. I don't care if they were sturdy or not - this is a display model - they looked real and attractive, and there was way more variety. The only thing I like in this set is the head of T-Rex, all the rest is just not up to the level of aesthetics of the original creation. It's a rare thing when I dislike the Ideas set, but I'm passing this one even though I like the subject matter.

That's understandable. It's just that the set they made is less attractive than the original idea in the first place, which I personally expected to be the other way around.

Well, but that is just "taste" I think. I agree that they don't look as "bony" now, but I can also see why they changed it so much. The project was all digital, I don't even know if it would have been possible (even with the supports) to make them at all standing the way they were designed by the fan. I see the set as great starter set, that you can alter, change parts or extend with more dinosaurs  if you like. 

I don't mind the use of white here.

Even while the skeletons in a museum are rarely as light colored as LEGO white, I still think it's a better color then tan to begin with.

Example of a T-Rex being in a Dutch Museum : 

2048x1152.jpg

Due to the lighting, white is pretty approprate here for a Toy model skeleton, especially with the intention to include the minifig skeleton which they did.

While they could have used variants of Tan, Brown or Grey here, I think white looks more uniform unless LEGO started using marbled parts for a more natural/worn look.

White also stands out with the black stands they used in the set.

But that's just my opinion.

Other dinosaurs in the same (recently modernized) museum :

section1_page8_article37_1.jpg

Like others have said, I can see it possible to make other skeleton models from the set, and white parts also make it fairly easy to customize/add to it, as it's a fairly common color.

Edited by TeriXeri

Regardless of the tan vs. white debate, I definitely think the improvements to the build far outweigh any detrimental effects of the color change. The original model fulfilled the project creator's responsibility by illustrating the general concept they were proposing — however, it was a digital-only model, and there were several substantial inaccuracies to the real dinosaurs in question, and also several areas that lacked structural stability.

Most notably from a structural standpoint, the way each set of three ribs attach in the original model means that the ones on the sides would swivel or wobble freely (as they are attached using a axle-pin without friction ridges and a 3M half beam), and the ones in the center of each set of three could not even be attached (since a 1/2 module 3.2mm bar inserted into the opening of that type of axle-pin does not have any clutch — try it yourself if you don't believe me).

From an accuracy standpoint, the skulls of the final models are far closer to the real dinosaur skulls than the simple, blocky designs in the original project, as are the curvature of their spines and the shape of their ribcages. And of course, the original project's dinosaur fossils were by the creator's own omission not at the same scale as one another, but rather designed as stand alone models. The final product's fossilsare all at more or less the same scale — making it far more suitable for a unified museum exhibit.

Obviously, everyone gets to decide for themselves which changes are or aren't a deal-breaker. But I think treating a redesign like this as an insult to the fan designer somewhat misrepresents how the LEGO design process actually works. Even "normal" LEGO sets typically begin with designers creating rough "sketch models", many of which are not anywhere close to shelfworthy.

After getting feedback from the rest of the design team as well as other departments of the company, a lot of these sketch models are handed over to a different designer who can look at the designs with a fresh perspective and try and update them accordingly and bring them to an "only the best is good enough" standard of quality. Sometimes this entails many different rounds of trying out different building techniques to find what works best for each part of the model. Other times, the techniques used in the sketch model turn out to be the best ones even after trying out other possibilities.

In the LEGO Ideas development process, the original project's role is more or less equivalent to a sketch model. So likewise, some might need extensive revisions, while others might only need slight fine tuning. The only difference is that because it is shared openly rather than evaluated behind closed doors, other LEGO fans have the opportunity to know about the project even at this early stage.

On the plus side, this feedback from other fans can be considered during subsequent phases of the design process, which isn't usually available to designers to help guide their decision making. But on a more negative note, fans being aware also puts the designers under increased pressure to meet the expectations fans have after seeing the sketch model, which isn't helped by the unavoidable waiting period between fans learning that a project was approved and getting to see the final set.

In any case, I don't see why it would be disrespectful for an official designer to put a fan created model through the same process that is standard protocol for a lot of the sorts of models they and their colleagues create on a regular basis. No matter how much the model is changed is changed by the end of the development process, that original project is the starting point which lays the groundwork for future revisions, and provides the basis for the feedback from both fans and LEGO staff which will guide those revisions.

7 hours ago, julesvincent said:

The project was all digital, I don't even know if it would have been possible (even with the supports) to make them at all standing the way they were designed by the fan.

You're right, I didn't think about it being digital and not tested with real-life parts.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:37 PM, ShadowWolfHount said:

I really don't like this change from the original, with it now being more brick than technic now. This could had honestly been a spark to bring in new things for the Technic line instead of always doing vehicles; like what have been done back in 1999-2002 with things like throwbots/slizer, bionicle and some star wars sets being big Technic figures (not those creepy human shape heads CCBS/Ultrabuild figure we got a few years back).

Sadly because of this choice, I'm not picking this set up. I'm not a dinosaur fan, but the design choice of it being Technic was what gotten me interested, and now it became a small part of the design.

but really it was very very unlikely they were ever going to use technic pieces in a ideas set though

@Roebuck Thank you very much for the story of the skeleton with the fedora! This is really a great easter egg to include in the set.

I'm definitely getting it - even if it's different from the original design, I quite like the brick-built design and, more globally, the mood of the set. 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:00 PM, julesvincent said:

I agree with you on the stickers, that really shouldn't have been a problem to make the name tags as prints. As I heard though, the towballs or sockets are tough to make with different colours as they change the material properties quite a bit, can't tell you a source though. I guess by now they would've made them in different colours if it was easy. There are quite a few sets where grey doesn't fit the scheme of the build. But in the end, it is Lego and you don't have to buy it if you don't like it, or do buy it and change what you want ;)

Sure, I'd buy it and change them to white to match the rest of the model ... oh no, wait a minute, I can't!

It might be possible to change the grey towballs to white hinges or similar although that would limit movement. However, given there is nothing special in the set, for anyone going down that route and having to do a remodel, they might as well just use existing parts / buy the cheap parts on BL.

15 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

but really it was very very unlikely they were ever going to use technic pieces in a ideas set though

Why is that? After all, they have used technic pieces in this set.

What often helps me is, when I see a set in the store that has been build. But if you still don't like, just don't buy it. Nobody forces you to pay for it :)

2 hours ago, julesvincent said:

What often helps me is, when I see a set in the store that has been build. But if you still don't like, just don't buy it. Nobody forces you to pay for it :)

Obviously, nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, but when people have been looking forward to an unrevealed set for quite some time, and the finished product doesn't meet their expectations, there's going to be some frustration.

----------------

I like the set - kinda. The more I look at it the more details I find that are not so appealing. I'll wait to see the set in person before pulling the trigger. After all, seeing the Tantive IV built in-store helped me make up my mind and remove it from my wishlist.

As for the white-tan debate, I understand both sides of the debate, and am leaning towards the "white is OK" side, since there are always going to be sacrifices when a project from Ideas has to be adapted to fit TLG's standards and available pieces.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:16 PM, MAB said:

Why is that? After all, they have used technic pieces in this set.

I think he meant they wouldn't make an Ideas set using mostly Technic parts

As for my own thoughts: I really like the set. I originally voted for the project because I liked the idea itself. I wasn't a big fan of the way the had been build and looked as I'm not a big fan of Technic. The change to mostly System parts is very good imo and I'm definetely looking forward to picking this one up, though I will admit I will be waiting for a good discount

Looks like nobody's shared the designer video here yet:

Some highlights:

• As suspected, the "LEGO Sapiens" skeleton is something Niels added to represent himself.

• However, the museum visitor was in fact based specifically on the LEGO Ideas project creator, Jonathan Brunn. So much for all the hand-wringing I've seen from people who thought Niels putting a self-referential easter egg was somehow erasing or disrespecting the original project creator…

• Niels apparently built around 50 different dinosaur fossils during development (some of which are visible on the shelves behind him at various points in the video). That number is given in a quote from a separate designer, Samuel Johnson, expressing his surprise when he checked in on Niels, so there may be some hyperbole there… but suffice to say, several were made and there was a thorough process of comparing them to figure out which would be best for the final set.

• Some of Niels' earlier dinosaur fossil builds on the shelves behind him ARE in tan, confirming that the possibility of keeping tan as the main color was also explored before settling on white.

• Niels mentions that the three dinosaurs in the final set are in the same scale and from the same time period. While he doesn't state outright that serendipity of scale or time period were the reason for choosing them, I suspect they probably played into the final decision in some capacity.

• He also has examples of some of the sets, figures, and parts he helped design over the years on the shelves behind him and the table in front of him, if you didn't already realize how long he's been working at LEGO or how many iconic stuff he's had a hand in creating!

On 10/19/2019 at 1:49 AM, pooda said:

Love the new avatar, @Aanchir

Thank you! I updated my sigfig a while back to reflect the new color my hair has been since this summer, but it took a while for me to get around to uploading it on sites like this one, and I'm still occasionally finding more sites where I still need to get it up to date!

Full disclosure: the frame I used was not my own work. It was created by a fellow member of the GayFOLs group on Facebook and shared here for other LEGO fans who wanted to use it on their Facebook profile pictures. :classic:

Edited by Aanchir

@Aanchir On another note, to stay on topic! I actually may buy this dinosaur fossil set. I think it would look good in my city. I was thinking Food Truck Avenue, but that wouldn't really make sense. So its going on Brick Square. 

Do you have plans to buy this set? 

Edited by pooda

1 hour ago, pooda said:

@Aanchir On another note, to stay on topic! I actually may buy this dinosaur fossil set. I think it would look good in my city. I was thinking Food Truck Avenue, but that wouldn't really make sense. So its going on Brick Square. 

Do you have plans to buy this set? 

I think it's OK if I reply to something a little bit off topic as long I keep it from dragging out too much, the way my on-topic posts often end up doing! :laugh:

I definitely would love to own this set, but it might depend on how soon I can finish getting the other sets from my wish list, and how much they'll end up costing me! I try to stick to buying LEGO sets on sale whenever possible, and also to prioritize the sets I'm most excited for from the themes I'm most committed to collecting like Ninjago, The LEGO Movie 2, etc.

It definitely would make a fun build and an amazing display piece, much like some other Ideas sets my family keeps on display year-round like the Birds set! Maybe instead of getting it for myself it might make a neat Christmas present for my dad. I also have other friends who are really into dinosaurs and would definitely enjoy getting this as a gift, if they don't buy it for themselves before Christmas arrives!

Besides a museum setting, I think a square or a park would be a good place to display stuff like this. In real life you certainly wouldn't see real dinosaur fossils outside where they could be damaged, but casts of them in a sturdier material make great outdoor decorations especially if there's a museum or science center nearby that they could be helping to promote!

Edited by Aanchir

That Niels is quite a character. Dinsosaur-fan through and through, Thor's hammer pendant around the neck - I have to say, I like him, even if I find the final Dinosaurs a bit too comical. :wink:

And seeing that he did The Black Seas Barracuda and the King's Castle - wow! :classic:

I managed to finish building mine today.  Here is my quick video review of it.  Turns out the white aren't that bad.

THE GOOD:

• Impressive models and builds.  Especially the Triceratops and the rib cage design.
  • The white turned out to be better than the photos.
  • Fun to include a Lego Sapiens.

THE NOT-SO GOOD:

• Would have been better the name plates are printed than stickers but not that big of an issue.
  • The T-rex rib cage would have been better with more gaps between ribs.

Overall, I think it's better than I originally thought and I really like it in the end.  I might be asking too much if I want the fossil to be same scale as previously released lego dinos but it's going to be extremely challenging to get such build.  I'm also surprised the fossils are part of the stand, you cannot seperate the fossil and the stand.  Anyway, I do recommend this to everyone who likes Lego.

Hello everyone

My son Jonathan BRUNN aka MUKKINN was one of the 2019 LEGO IDEAS winners with his Dinosaurs Fossils set.
The set was released in Legostore on November 1, 2019.
He is competing again for another exciting project 20,000 leagues under the sea that you can discover and possibly encourage by voting for him using the following link:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/28fc7c6c-0d93-491b-9594-4bd4384c04a8