Darnok

Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole

Recommended Posts

Now, young-uns. Fetch an old sailor a drink, and I'll tell yeh a story. A tale of fencing, fighting, torture, revenge... Oh thankee! 

So, where teh begin? Our story begins in the year 530 (by our reckoning) in the Zhevrenai Delta. That's in the Great Alliance States, as I'm sure you know; the Delta being the main route into the Alliance States for any traders from old Halos. 

What ye mightn't know, unless ye're a proper seadog like meself, is that the Delta is all shifting channels. Most of the Delta folk stay nomadic. Anythin' permanent is raised up high above the water on stilts, with houses made from straw or planks. There be a saying; "nowt lasts forever in the Delta". 

And there, and then, there were a young lad born and raised, called Bogdan. Ee was named after 'is great grandfather, Tsar Bogdan the Great. Y'see Bogdan was the son of Prince Ilya Bogdanovitch. 

If you din't know the name, it's prob'ly because Prince Ilya weren't a important member of the Royal Family. He certainly weren't a popular one. Did a lot of things that din't go down so well with the Tsar and 'is people. 

So it weren'ta surprise that Prince Ilya and his family were shipped off to the far-off Floating City of Salobrinsk, in the Duchy of Mechov.

But that place might'a been the best thing that happened that happened to that family. It meant Prince Ilya could get Pan Twardowski of the Corrington Royal Academy as a tutor for his son. Gave him just about the best education a young man could get. And, for a while at least, they were happy.

Young scholar in the floating city of Salobrinsk

Edited by Ross Fisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat. :thumbup:

Sure this wasn't meant to be a thread of its own? Cool story either way, and I like the build too. A prelude of things to come? :pir-classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting the little Prometheus shrine done yesterday made me wonder: how are others feeling about the religions in the BotBS verse?

I like what @gedren_y is doing with his Crahaish neh Triuri, as well as what @Mesabi is going for with the Promethean Faith. Other than that we have some Oleon players embracing the Order aspect of the existing pantheon... and that's pretty much it?

What would it need to get folks more interested and invested in this part of the lore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Doctor Thaum being a true man of science, his considerations about religious thing are likely those about superstitions : no place for them in science.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:43 AM, LM71Blackbird said:

Now if only I could afford to get the Treehouse and the Pirate Bay!

My next targets... as already said by Ross Fisher "hard time for my wallet"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darnok said:

Getting the little Prometheus shrine done yesterday made me wonder: how are others feeling about the religions in the BotBS verse?

I like what @gedren_y is doing with his Crahaish neh Triuri, as well as what @Mesabi is going for with the Promethean Faith. Other than that we have some Oleon players embracing the Order aspect of the existing pantheon... and that's pretty much it?

What would it need to get folks more interested and invested in this part of the lore?

I have presented the Church of Sol and Luna (aka, the "Church of the Two Coins") in some of my builds (the old stone church, the Merrynight orphanage).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capt Wolf said:

I have presented the Church of Sol and Luna (aka, the "Church of the Two Coins") in some of my builds (the old stone church, the Merrynight orphanage).

I had a vague memory of that, but couldn't figure out where I'd seen it! Any chance we see more of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Darnok said:

I had a vague memory of that, but couldn't figure out where I'd seen it! Any chance we see more of it?

Perhaps, but no immediate plans. I do have some ideas for a couple of ways to have it appear in some future builds. I also try to include it marginally in various places: I have a ship name referencing Luna (as mariners favor Luna over Sol), and Guilder sometimes swears "Sol and Luna!" Maybe some missionary work with island natives is in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about a good name for my upcoming merchant lugger and came up with "Cloudchaser". Now I searched for it and after seeing the results I'm not that sure anymore:D

@the religion matter: I can't help but spell Port Raleigh "R'lyeh". Who knows what crazy cultists may lurk in the shadow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darnok said:

how are others feeling about the religions in the BotBS verse?

Some of it is just weird to me... But then again, I live in the cold north of the East Coast, USA, so we don't really have stuff like that anywhere around here. Europe and Asia has all kinds of different stuff I didn't even know/think about until I took a trip over to France, Germany, and Switzerland just this August. Beautiful countries be the way!

IRL, I'm actually a licensed minister (Perform marriages, baptisms, etc.). So if and when I build religious stuff for BoBs it will probably be a classic style of church (think Notre Dame) rather then a temple or shrine to this or that.

Just my 2 cents though.

4 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

My next targets... as already said by Wellesley "hard time for my wallet"

Ah, yes... I know exactly what you mean...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, Darnok said:

Getting the little Prometheus shrine done yesterday made me wonder: how are others feeling about the religions in the BotBS verse?

I have openly talked about my want for more religion to be in BoBS, mainly because it was such a factor in soooo many things in the Age of sail. 

Like, let's face it, Church of England, Reformation, the spread of Islam, etc. all happen during the age of sail. 

Additionally, it was such a big part of why nations went to the seas, to go spread religion (pilgrims, catholic missionaries) and the wealth they brought back usually fueled the religious wars that were being fought. 

So, I see BoBS as wholly lacking without the religious history being involved. 

However, I do understand the reasons we don't really get into it in BoBS, (though if you're going to question my realism with ships and technology.... :pir-tongue:) and I respect them. I do like having my band of religious ninja-warrior-assassins to rough up people who get a little to into the faith though. :wink:

47 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Some of it is just weird to me... But then again, I live in the cold north of the East Coast, USA, so we don't really have stuff like that anywhere around here. Europe and Asia has all kinds of different stuff I didn't even know/think about until I took a trip over to France, Germany, and Switzerland just this August. Beautiful countries be the way!

Ha! "Cold" New England!?! try visiting the midwest around february or march! Oh wait, you can't! the highways and airports will be snowed in! :pir-tongue:

I know what you mean, and I think the best way of understanding other's beliefs is to simply have conversations with people of different faiths. I had an Islamic coworker who I talked to at length about this, and I am far richer from the experience. Same would go for my Judaic, and Baptist friends. 

55 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

IRL, I'm actually a licensed minister (Perform marriages, baptisms, etc.). 

Man, that's awesome! Have you ever performed a wedding before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Like, let's face it, Church of England, Reformation, the spread of Islam, etc. all happen during the age of sail. 

Most definitely. That was a huge part of this era in time.

5 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Ha! "Cold" New England!?! try visiting the midwest around february or march! Oh wait, you can't! the highways and airports will be snowed in! :pir-tongue:

Well, every year is a toss up to whether we get 4 feet of snow and 20 to 30 degree F temps (-6 to -1 C) or moderate snow and 30 below 0 (-34 C) temps for months. But I know what you mean! I lived in Montana for a time as a kid and that was nuts... 

8 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

I know what you mean, and I think the best way of understanding other's beliefs is to simply have conversations with people of different faiths. I had an Islamic coworker who I talked to at length about this, and I am far richer from the experience. Same would go for my Judaic, and Baptist friends. 

  I definitely agree. Sometimes a simple conversation can improve your perception of the world around you.

9 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Man, that's awesome! Have you ever performed a wedding before?

I actually have! Last year I did my parents 30th wedding anniversary vow renewal. It was actually a pretty fun day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I live in the cold north of the East Coast, USA, so we don't really have stuff like that anywhere around here.

Near Salem? Or up in Skraeling territory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Darnok said:

Getting the little Prometheus shrine done yesterday made me wonder: how are others feeling about the religions in the BotBS verse?

I like what @gedren_y is doing with his Crahaish neh Triuri, as well as what @Mesabi is going for with the Promethean Faith. Other than that we have some Oleon players embracing the Order aspect of the existing pantheon... and that's pretty much it?

What would it need to get folks more interested and invested in this part of the lore?

The Crahaish neh Triuri are generally into missionary work right now, with some small shrine building. There is a Royal sized Theological Institute planned for Salida Este, but that's on the back burner for now.

Here's a general rundown of the culture/religion I created, so others can begin to include them in storylines. I'll post a full write-up thread, with timeline and holy days. when I have time to consolidate all that I have posted.

Spoiler

The Triuri - The Triple Goddess - Maiden, Mother, & Crone: She is the beginning and ending of existence. Most major prayers are to her. There are a number of ways to depict her, but they all include three outward facing directions.

The Consort: The first male, created to impregnate The Triuri, so that she could give birth to all existence. He is generally depicted as smaller than The Triuri, with a feminine body and oversized male genitals. He is most often invoked by men for fertility, navigation, and combat.

Truachesh neh Triuri -  People of the Triple Goddess: These are the last remnants of an ancient (Celtic type) culture that still exist in western mainland Eslandola, though some have begun to emigrate to Trador and the surrounding areas. There is a lot of free expression in the culture. Sexual matters are not considered taboo, thanks to the early development of a pregnancy prevention "potion", and are sometimes publically depicted.

Triuri Faithful: The general term for those who believe in the Triuri, and most often applied to those not raised in the Truachesh culture, usually recent converts. Though a good portion of these people are honestly devout, some take to the religion for the fun and freedom of it (think the revival of Druidism in the late enlightenment period).

Cymgrii: The ancient language of the Truachesh. (I depict it as a mix of Welsh and Scottish Gaelic, with some occasional spelling changes to make phrases sound right. There are no real hard rules about depicting the language, but I generally use what I understand of Scottish Gaelic conjugation.) All of the canonized holy books of the Crahaish neh Triuri are written in Cymgrii script. (I depict it something like Ogham script, with lots of round shapes, dots, and squiggly lines.)

Crahaish neh Triuri - Ministry of the Triuri: The main body of the Crahaish is in the western hills of Eslandola (exact location still to be determined on the map). The Crahaish teaches that there are 135 planes of mortal existence, and that all souls must live 135 lives in each of these planes before becoming one with the Triuri. There is no such thing as damnation in the Triuri faith. The Triuri faithful do not need to be ordained to work for the Crahaish, and are  There are (as of right now) five ordained titles among the Crahaish neh Triuri; High Priestess, Temple Priestess, Temple Guardian, Wandering Acolyte, and Consort. All in training to be ordained are referred to as Novitiate. When a woman or man is ordained by the Crahaish, and earn their title, they are gifted with a descriptive name in Cymgrii to take the place of their familial surname. Most use the common trade language translation, but some names don't quite translate.

High Priestess: The highest title in the Crahaish. This title is only given to those who serve on, or have served on and are now retired from, the ruling council of the Crahaish neh Triuri. There are only nine High Priestesses on this council at all times. They perform most of the high holy day rituals. When one dies, or retires, the remaining eight deliberate, and choose a priestess to elevate to the open position.
Here's how to properly attire a High Priestess. Not the hat, but the torso, dress, and some kind of cape (doesn't have to be the one shown). They can frequently be seen with a holy staff or scepter.

Temple Priestess: These priestesses perform most of the day to day functions of the Crahaish: preaching the holy text to the faithful, offering the blessings of the Triuri, ministering to the sick and dying, performing the End of Life ritual, teaching Novitiates, record keeping, etc. Some are trained as midwives (a specific specialty in the Crahaish), and perform the Birthing of Life ritual. They also perform the high holy day rituals if one of the High Priestesses isn't available.
(I have yet to determine common dress for them.)

Temple Guardian: The only ordained priestesses who are permitted to commit serious violence, up to and including death. They are charged with guarding temple grounds, holy sites, and holy archives, as well as defending the faithful, and teaching Novitiates who wish to be Temple Guardians. In times of conflict, if the High Priestesses deem that a particular faction is fighting a righteous cause, they are permitted to join the conflict. If a Temple Guardian is elevated to High Priestess, she may no longer engage in violence.
(I have yet to determin the common dress for them.)

Wandering Acolyte: Ordained priestesses who's primary mission it is to spread the Triuri faith, and offer the blessings of the Triuri to those who seek it. They perform most of what Temple Priestesses do out in the world, including the Birthing of Life, and End of Life rituals. They are also often called upon to administrate the building of shrines and temples in far off places. Most are singers or storytellers, but all well tutored in medicine and "potions" so they can be helpful when people are in need.
Here are two main examples of the common dress for Wandering Acolytes. The torso and dress are what's important, but most have some sort of satchel to carry what they need. More often than not they can be seen holding a holy staff or scepter.

Consort (not to be confused with The Consort): All men ordained by the Crahaish hold this title. Most preform administrative duties (assisting priestesses, maintaining holy books and relics, inscribing holy text, star cataloging, etc,), but some hold positions as teachers and holy navigators. They preform all blessings of The Consort, some Triuri blessing, and on occasion preach the holy text and preform the End of Life ritual. All are trained in the arts of comedic storytelling and spiritual lovemaking, as well as what the Crahaish considers the rudiments of field medicine (so they can be called to tend the wounded and dying in times of war).
There is no set mode of dress for a Consort, except that it be joyfully bright. Here is my only example for now; Taliesin the Lightbringer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gedren_y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The Triuri - The Triple Goddess - Maiden, Mother, & Crone: She is the beginning and ending of existence. Most major prayers are to her. There are a number of ways to depict her, but they all include three outward facing directions.

The Consort: The first male, created to impregnate The Triuri, so that she could give birth to all existence. He is generally depicted as smaller than The Triuri, with a feminine body and oversized male genitals. He is most often invoked by men for fertility, navigation, and combat.

Truachesh neh Triuri -  People of the Triple Goddess: These are the last remnants of an ancient (Celtic type) culture that still exist in western mainland Eslandola, though some have begun to emigrate to Trador and the surrounding areas. There is a lot of free expression in the culture. Sexual matters are not considered taboo, thanks to the early development of a pregnancy prevention "potion", and are sometimes publically depicted.

Triuri Faithful: The general term for those who believe in the Triuri, and most often applied to those not raised in the Truachesh culture, usually recent converts. Though a good portion of these people are honestly devout, some take to the religion for the fun and freedom of it (think the revival of Druidism in the late enlightenment period).

Cymgrii: The ancient language of the Truachesh. (I depict it as a mix of Welsh and Scottish Gaelic, with some occasional spelling changes to make phrases sound right. There are no real hard rules about depicting the language, but I generally use what I understand of Scottish Gaelic conjugation.) All of the canonized holy books of the Crahaish neh Triuri are written in Cymgrii script. (I depict it something like Ogham script, with lots of round shapes, dots, and squiggly lines.)

Crahaish neh Triuri - Ministry of the Triuri: The main body of the Crahaish is in the western hills of Eslandola (exact location still to be determined on the map). The Crahaish teaches that there are 135 planes of mortal existence, and that all souls must live 135 lives in each of these planes before becoming one with the Triuri. There is no such thing as damnation in the Triuri faith. The Triuri faithful do not need to be ordained to work for the Crahaish, and are  There are (as of right now) five ordained titles among the Crahaish neh Triuri; High Priestess, Temple Priestess, Temple Guardian, Wandering Acolyte, and Consort. All in training to be ordained are referred to as Novitiate. When a woman or man is ordained by the Crahaish, and earn their title, they are gifted with a descriptive name in Cymgrii to take the place of their familial surname. Most use the common trade language translation, but some names don't quite translate.

High Priestess: The highest title in the Crahaish. This title is only given to those who serve on, or have served on and are now retired from, the ruling council of the Crahaish neh Triuri. There are only nine High Priestesses on this council at all times. They perform most of the high holy day rituals. When one dies, or retires, the remaining eight deliberate, and choose a priestess to elevate to the open position.
Here's how to properly attire a High Priestess. Not the hat, but the torso, dress, and some kind of cape (doesn't have to be the one shown). They can frequently be seen with a holy staff or scepter.

Temple Priestess: These priestesses perform most of the day to day functions of the Crahaish: preaching the holy text to the faithful, offering the blessings of the Triuri, ministering to the sick and dying, performing the End of Life ritual, teaching Novitiates, record keeping, etc. Some are trained as midwives (a specific specialty in the Crahaish), and perform the Birthing of Life ritual. They also perform the high holy day rituals if one of the High Priestesses isn't available.
(I have yet to determine common dress for them.)

Temple Guardian: The only ordained priestesses who are permitted to commit serious violence, up to and including death. They are charged with guarding temple grounds, holy sites, and holy archives, as well as defending the faithful, and teaching Novitiates who wish to be Temple Guardians. In times of conflict, if the High Priestesses deem that a particular faction is fighting a righteous cause, they are permitted to join the conflict. If a Temple Guardian is elevated to High Priestess, she may no longer engage in violence.
(I have yet to determin the common dress for them.)

Wandering Acolyte: Ordained priestesses who's primary mission it is to spread the Triuri faith, and offer the blessings of the Triuri to those who seek it. They perform most of what Temple Priestesses do out in the world, including the Birthing of Life, and End of Life rituals. They are also often called upon to administrate the building of shrines and temples in far off places. Most are singers or storytellers, but all well tutored in medicine and "potions" so they can be helpful when people are in need.
Here are two main examples of the common dress for Wandering Acolytes. The torso and dress are what's important, but most have some sort of satchel to carry what they need. More often than not they can be seen holding a holy staff or scepter.

Consort (not to be confused with The Consort): All men ordained by the Crahaish hold this title. Most preform administrative duties (assisting priestesses, maintaining holy books and relics, inscribing holy text, star cataloging, etc,), but some hold positions as teachers and holy navigators. They preform all blessings of The Consort, some Triuri blessing, and on occasion preach the holy text and preform the End of Life ritual. All are trained in the arts of comedic storytelling and spiritual lovemaking, as well as what the Crahaish considers the rudiments of field medicine (so they can be called to tend the wounded and dying in times of war).
There is no set mode of dress for a Consort, except that it be joyfully bright. Here is my only example for now; Taliesin the Lightbringer.

 

Neat, thanks for posting this! My only issue with all your stuff are the names - I always have to doublecheck when writing about them somewhere, they are so easy to spell wrong. :pir-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The odd thing about most religions if you strip away all the fat is they all for the most part consider one being to be supreme and in some way you should pay tribute to it.  Even in the case of multiple "gods" there is still one supreme.  

I took a year long class on religions several years ago. The instructor said if your not comfortable in your faith then dont take this class because of the depth we studied all the major religions.  Part of the course was we attended the religious functions (for-goed a couple of the cults).  It was a major eye opener as to how similar and starkly different religions are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense mate, but a "year long class" is not nearly enough to thoroughly study any religion, let alone doing a proper comparison between some of them. Good for you seeing this experience as an eye opener, but it was nothing but a first glimpse, and definitely not "in depth". You hardly scratched the surface. :wink:

Spoiler

This field is quite a rabbit hole to stumble down, and half-knowledge is almost as dangerous as no knowledge when it comes to religion.  Seriously, I mean you no offense, or to degrade your state of awareness.

 

Edited by Darnok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darnok said:

No offense mate, but a "year long class" is not nearly enough to thoroughly study any religion, let alone doing a proper comparison between some of them. Good for you seeing this experience as an eye opener, but it was nothing but a first glimpse, and definitely not "in depth". You hardly scratched the surface. :wink:

  Hide contents

This field is quite a rabbit hole to stumble down, and half-knowledge is almost as dangerous as no knowledge when it comes to religion.  Seriously, I mean you no offense, or to degrade your state of awareness.

 

I completely agree as far as depth ... 4 days a week for the entire year no breaks is just starting ... but it was extreamely well put together.  We covered history, founding, beliefs, organization, worship,  afterlife stance and how to get there. It was not every known religion but the "majors" at the time (13 years ago).  I by far would not claim to be an expert on any religion ... Even the two I grew up with.  However I feel I have a good understanding on how and what the ones we studied believe and why.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Maxim I Looks great. :thumbup:

@LM71Blackbird Ah, blue, my favorite color. I must confess I never particularly liked the Sunfire, but you have this one looking nice. But those doors... I can feel my scalp hitting those doors just looking at the pics!

What's in the background? Still functional?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain Dee said:

@LM71Blackbird Ah, blue, my favorite color. I must confess I never particularly liked the Sunfire, but you have this one looking nice. But those doors... I can feel my scalp hitting those doors just looking at the pics!

What's in the background? Still functional?

My favorite color as well. The doors are actually surprisingly functional. I mainly did the mod because they are so long I tend to ding other peoples car doors if they park to close. Now I can park wherever I please!

The background is where I live. It's a old retired farm built in the late 1700s... It hasn't been active in probably 20 to 30 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

My favorite color as well. The doors are actually surprisingly functional. I mainly did the mod because they are so long I tend to ding other peoples car doors if they park to close. Now I can park wherever I please!

Aha. Understood!

3 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

The background is where I live. It's a old retired farm built in the late 1700s... It hasn't been active in probably 20 to 30 years. 

20 or 30 years... hmm... we started in '92...

The bin still looks decent. And I still hate flex augers. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, Wellesley said:

I was thinking about a good name for my upcoming merchant lugger and came up with "Cloudchaser". Now I searched for it and after seeing the results I'm not that sure anymore:D

:pir_laugh2:

To me the names of work animals always work for merchant ships, especially combined with some positive character trait. Or anything related to reliability and strong work ethos. 

 

14 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I completely agree as far as depth ... 4 days a week for the entire year no breaks is just starting ... but it was extreamely well put together.  We covered history, founding, beliefs, organization, worship,  afterlife stance and how to get there. It was not every known religion but the "majors" at the time (13 years ago).  I by far would not claim to be an expert on any religion ... Even the two I grew up with.  However I feel I have a good understanding on how and what the ones we studied believe and why.

Yup, sounds like a solid overview, and time well spent for sure. :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.