Darnok

José's Inn - Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole

José's Inn - Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole

The Brethren of the Off Topic

Arr ye landlubbers, come in and have one of my Second Best! All chattin' is fine chattin' in 'ere. Don't ye pick a fight though, or Ol' Bubba has to throw ya out. Other than that everybody is welcome as long as ye keep payin' ya tab...

Welcome to the off topic thread for everything even slightly related to "Brethren of the Brick Seas"! This should be a place to be for chatting about the game in general, grand plans of world domination, the latest idea you might have with this or that build or just random off topic stuff fitting nowhere else. While the Intro Thread is still the place to be for everything concerning rules debates, IC or OOC stuff of importance or all the other things it has proven useful for, this thread is meant to be an informal space for whatever you have on your mind at the time of posting.

If you wonder whether something is worth posting here: feel free to just bring it up. The forum rules still apply, but other than that anything goes.

Edited by Darnok

So to kickstart this one: the Pirate Bay just got approved for production in the Ideas range! While I have no illusions of this meaning anything for Lego Pirates in general, at least we get something close to this incredible creation. :wub:

How do you feel about this set? And what can we make of it for the game - other than the most obvious Sea Rat hide-out? :pir-grin:

It might make a good parts pack.  We'll have to see what mods LEGO do to it first.

On the off-topic, what's everyone's favorite drink?

The Pirate Bay looks fabulous, and hopefully will remain so as a set. I think a (MOCed / MODed) version would be great for the Sea Rats, yes. And any other poor unfortunate (shipwrecked?) souls.

But... I'm disappointed. I was hoping we'd get "Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole..." :grin:

My greatest fear now is not a wild redesign, but the price. I don't see a set of this price below 200€, assume it will be somewhere around 250€... and fear for 300+€. :pir-sceptic:

Just now, Captain Dee said:

But... I'm disappointed. I was hoping we'd get "Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole..." :grin:

I like it. :thumbup:

Just now, dr_spock said:

It might make a good parts pack.  We'll have to see what mods LEGO do to it first.

Agreed lol 

Proper old fashioned

5 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Dr. Pepper or Root Beer! :drunk:

I'm stoked that it got approved! I think LEGO is really picking some good set ideas after the whole Women of NASA thing... Now if only I could afford to get the Treehouse and the Pirate Bay!

Ha, I'm actually happy with the Women Of NASA set, have it around... somewhere. :pir-grin:

As for drinks... no definite favourite these days. I enjoy a big can of black tea in the morning, but the exact type is not as important as that it is "hot and lots of it". I also like that cheap choco-cappucino stuff you get as powder to stir into hot water... 2/3 sugar, maybe that's the addictive part. Other than that? Maybe Tonic  Water. And also: just plain water. Can't get a cheaper and more strictly regulated drink around here, that is also actually refreshing. :pir-classic:

13 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Got a new favourite cocktail that's been called different things in different places. It's basically a banana milkshake with peanut butter and bourbon, whipped cream, sprinkles. Bloody great. 

Thumbs up for the Pirate Bay, it seems a great set (with a lot of nice parts) for everyone who builds pirate MOCs. I think the number of palm leaves will be reduced and that the structure will be consolidated a little (some of the techniques used are not standard for official LEGO sets); my only real concern is the price... but we will see in the future!

About the drink, definitely tea (both ice tea, better if peach-flavored, and hot black tea); I also like espresso coffee, a must in Italian bars, or a good beer, according to the situation.

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

Ha, I'm actually happy with the Women Of NASA set, have it around... somewhere. :pir-grin:

It's not a bad set by any means, I just would have like to see one or more of the other builds produced instead. Like the SR71 Blackbird for example.

3 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I'm actually happy with the Women Of NASA set

It was on the cheaper side for Ideas sets and contained a bunch of unique parts. It also supported the Women in STEM initiative, which is laudable. I like the big custom versions of well-known vehicles, but they rarely need to be an Ideas set, rather than just a set of instructions. 

There were made a lot of weird decisions in the Ideas line in my opinion - I am grateful for the one time it paid of for this excellent project.

Really looking forward to the Pirate Bay, it has me excited like a kid! :pir-sweet:

How do you guys deal with "builders block"? Couldn't get a relatively easy idea into bricks over the last days, and now RL derailed my priorities once again. :pir-sceptic:

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

How do you guys deal with "builders block"? Couldn't get a relatively easy idea into bricks over the last days, and now RL derailed my priorities once again. :pir-sceptic:

Two ways. I either just take the easy way out and don't build, or I make myself build something even if I know that it is going to be garbage. Usually, after getting through one or two ugly builds or failed techniques, I'm able to make something I quite like!

Three cheers for the Pirate Bay from me, I do agree that it's likely to be on the pricey side but it's a really cool set and hopefully if it sells well that'll open up the doors for a pirate theme.  Any other musicians excited about the piano too?

On 9/26/2019 at 4:41 PM, dr_spock said:

Water hands down.  Lemonade now and then and once a year a Mountain Dew (I know, I have horrible taste in sodas :tongue: ).

14 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Any other musicians excited about the piano too?

Actually yes, and for that exact reason. :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

How do you guys deal with "builders block"? 

Tear it apart 700 times or build something else.

figured out how my echo starts.  I walk into a plant as my message is sending ... I loose signal by the robotic cells then the message sends again as my phone refreshes lol

Who else uses their BOBS figs/builds to lampoon real world people/things/events? I've done this on occasion, and I'm pretty sure @Darnok and @Mesabi do it more often than most realize. And there's the answer to Darnok's "builder's block", find something to lampoon.

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

Who else uses their BOBS figs/builds to lampoon real world people/things/events?

I think I've done it a little... mostly in a generic way.  It's been quite a while since I've done a proper story build though!

7 hours ago, gedren_y said:

Who else uses their BOBS figs/builds to lampoon real world people/things/events? I've done this on occasion, and I'm pretty sure @Darnok and @Mesabi do it more often than most realize.

Well, you already caught me I guess. :pir-grin:

I try to find real world connections to almost everything I do. In some cases that's just not possible, but in many more it is. As an example: every single main or side character of mine has a name based on a historical persona, and I have a text file of three pages (so far) documenting those references. I doubt many people notice or even care, but for me it adds another subtle layer of fun. :pir-classic:

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

I doubt many people notice or even care, but for me it adds another subtle layer of fun. :pir-classic:

It has not gone un-noticed ... Was unaware you documented it though.

On 9/26/2019 at 2:41 PM, dr_spock said:

So... I drink black coffee by the pot. Some days I drink over a gallon a day...

I may have a problem....

15 hours ago, gedren_y said:

Who else uses their BOBS figs/builds to lampoon real world people/things/events? I've done this on occasion, and I'm pretty sure @Darnok and @Mesabi do it more often than most realize. And there's the answer to Darnok's "builder's block", find something to lampoon.

I mean quite honestly, most of what Count Mesabi does is stuff I find humorous. 

A lot of that is real world stuff, but not always. I do try to veer from too many political jokes in my builds, (we live in such polarized times that it just seems like a better idea than not.) And other than stealing like campaign slogans, most of any BoBS politics I make fun of is just for me to tease someone / someone's nation.

That being said, I love to lampoon the STATE of the world, with corporations and such, and I consider history fair game as well. 

And, a slight update, I'm moving on monday, so expect me back soonish™

On 9/26/2019 at 9:43 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Dr. Pepper or Root Beer! :drunk:

Dr. Pepper.  :thumbup: 

On 9/27/2019 at 12:07 PM, Darnok said:

I built a block.  Or do something else like dishes, laundry, weed the garden...

21426148703_6c204f17d3_c.jpgDay 282 of 365: Creative Concrete Block by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

On 9/26/2019 at 9:41 PM, dr_spock said:

All sorts of tea I guess. Not a big fan of alcohol anymore and coffee almost counts as a meal for me.
But actually I simply go with water. After a day or more without drinking everything and just walking, the first drops were the most tasty stuff and the best drinking experience I've ever had.

@tavern room: Just found this cute little picture:
40ft.jpg

Edit:
Belleisle_IMG_7778.jpg
Now I'm hooked!

Edited by Wellesley