Darnok

José's Inn - Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole

I was drafting some story ideas for my character(s) and suddenly realised I had no clue who or what controls what happens in the game :wacko:

Who decides what NPC factions do, what settlements gets raided/invaded, what happens when they do?, etc

This is probably common knowledge for most but I'd love to get an explanation :pir-blush:

7 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

I was drafting some story ideas for my character(s) and suddenly realised I had no clue who or what controls what happens in the game :wacko:

Who decides what NPC factions do, what settlements gets raided/invaded, what happens when they do?, etc

This is probably common knowledge for most but I'd love to get an explanation :pir-blush:

Short version: faction leaders collaborate on that stuff.

Longer version: Various representatives from the player factions' leaders are called upon from time to time to role play the NPC factions when needed. We (I :pir-grin:) also submit shipping orders for all the NPC ships in the MRCA. The Kings Port Advertiser (collaboratively written, but leaning mainly on 2 or 3 of us) also tries to make sense of the shipping results, and oftentimes that suggests storylines for the Brick Seas going forward. Leadership also plans out periodic challenges for everyone to participate in, and will create certain events to lead into those challenges.

Note that players can also raid settlements through the MRCA. You'll read about one such raid in a day or two... :wink:

I hope that helps.

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

Just sharing this, I found it very enlightening:

Just found that the other day! Here are a couple that pair nicely with it. I am a neophyte to Age of Sail info, so these have been helpful as well;

Nice all around! I just hope you can find a way to keep your ships dust-free.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:37 PM, Fraunces said:

A, surrounded by inspiration! Nice room

On 8/6/2023 at 12:27 AM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Very nice atelier! The ship of the line looks impressiv.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

@Wellesley, nice work! Do you have somewhere to view your paintings?

Yes, there is: sakul.crevado.com

10 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Nice all around! I just hope you can find a way to keep your ships dust-free.

I hope so too:D But it works quite well with brushes on a windy day.

Random musing: I went and saw Napoleon (the movie) yesterday. Visually it looked really good, with great sets and costume designs. Very inspiring stuff! As with most Hollywood historical output, you have to take everything with a ton of salt, but I still found it entertaining enough. Not Ridley Scott's best movie, but still good. The battle scenes are nowhere near an actual representation of the actual battles or napoleonic warfare though :laugh:. Some bold story choices overall, but I found it interesting.

One of my big concerns for BoBS is the slow death of apathy between Eras. I never got a chance to do anything beyond sign up for AG and am more than a little frustrated that SW isn't INSIDE the scifi section where it belongs. I have a strident rant in the old AG thread about that, so I'll spare you it here.

I would do some build myself but I am away from my collection for a month or so.

@Khorne has been posting small vignette stories and I believe a small build collaborative story or two would be a great way to keep the community active. Call it a mini challenge, that would reward participation in E3 somehow.

Some ideas would be;

Investigating the volcano

Chasing the Order of Hercules

Picking a fight with the WTC

A religeous schism

Stopping a Coup attempt 

Declaring war on volcanos🤣

A polar expedition

An uprising in the desert provinces

From @Keymonus;

Some additional ideas:
-Hunting for a lost Lotii treasure fleet, sunk south of El Oleonda (stg. I introduced in an old storyline)
-Exploring the Lowers, the interior of El Oleonda, or some of the ignored large islands (usefull, but less original)
-A diplomatic mission to the Mokolei, to some of the Guelphian states, or to the West the (the Great Alliance States?)

I wanna see as many folks from all the factions incentivised to keep building. Maybe a Minichallenge that pits multiple collaborations against each other. Prizes to the winners, decided by a poll in the Pirates forum itself, to promote BoBS to the broader community? I'd be willing to spring something for some prizes come June/July. 

What do you all think? Anyone interested or have some more ideas to choose from?

Thanks, ♧

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

11 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

One of my big concerns for BoBS is the slow death of apathy between Eras. I never got a chance to do anything beyond sign up for AG and am more than a little frustrated that SW isn't INSIDE the scifi section where it belongs. I have a strident rant in the old AG thread about that, so I'll spare you it here.

What does AG mean?

11 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

@Khorne has been posting small vignette stories and I believe a small build collaborative story or two would be a great way to keep the community active. Call it a mini challenge, that would reward participation in E3 somehow.

I don't think we should have rewards that have an impact on era III because latecomers would already start with an disadvantage. Imagine you are a newbie who signed up on the forum to join BotBS only to learn that the veterans created a system that gives them an advantage right from the start. The field should be level imo :shrug_confused:

@Yperio_Bricks, Andrameda's Gates. Was the Scifi RBG here on EB but it went into downtime and never came back. 

You may be right about an E3 bonus but from the sounds of it, a bonus to a few players wouldn't be a loss to others, plus BoBS is open to all. We can put up a topic in the general Pirates forum inviting others to join as we prepare for E3. 

The main purpose is to keep the BoBS group plugging along and pull in new people by incentivising builds within the world of E2.

17 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

I would do some build myself but I am away from my collection for a month or so.

@Khorne has been posting small vignette stories and I believe a small build collaborative story or two would be a great way to keep the community active. Call it a mini challenge, that would reward participation in E3 somehow.

Some ideas would be;

Investigating the volcano

Chasing the Order of Hercules

Picking a fight with the WTC

A religeous schism

Stopping a Coup attempt 

Declaring war on volcanos🤣

A polar expedition

An uprising in the desert provinces

From @Keymonus;

Some additional ideas:
-Hunting for a lost Lotii treasure fleet, sunk south of El Oleonda (stg. I introduced in an old storyline)
-Exploring the Lowers, the interior of El Oleonda, or some of the ignored large islands (usefull, but less original)
-A diplomatic mission to the Mokolei, to some of the Guelphian states, or to the West the (the Great Alliance States?)

I wanna see as many folks from all the factions incentivised to keep building. Maybe a Minichallenge that pits multiple collaborations against each other. Prizes to the winners, decided by a poll in the Pirates forum itself, to promote BoBS to the broader community? I'd be willing to spring something for some prizes come June/July. 

What do you all think? Anyone interested or have some more ideas to choose from?

Thanks, ♧

These are some great ideas (we've got a few of them on our challenge-board too! :laugh:) and by all means we'd love to see some collaborative builds between BoBS members between times for the Eras!  But just a heads up that we'll have an official and hopefully very exciting mini-challenge coming your way by the end of the month too, so there's that to look forward too! :pir-huzzah2:  And probably about three mini-challenges planned for between now and the official launch of Era III (which we're shooting for around June-July) :pir-wink:  But by all means, don't wait, collabs are always fun and the more activity the merrier! 

Polls in the pirate forum for deciding the winners is a superb idea too, will definitely mention that in Court :excited:

EDIT: In fact, a collab started on any of these ideas/storylines would be a great build-in to the first of our challenges that's coming, so starting any of them would really tie in well! :monkey:  

7 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Anyone here wanna run blog updates for BoBS on Classic Pirates? Do some good for making more folks aware of the community here. If so, PM @Mister Phes!

Thanks for bring this to everyone's attention! :pir-huzzah2:

Also, by "blog update" just a short 50 word post with 1 image would be sufficient.

Certainly don't expect long sprawling article posts.