Darnok

José's Inn - Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole

On 3/25/2020 at 8:45 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Probably my next birthday present ! :moar:

My bday are in late summer. Too much time to wait :tongue:

On 3/25/2020 at 9:58 PM, Ross Fisher said:

One guy in my LUG has his wife begging him to get it. If he's going to be shut in for weeks, he needs a toy to play with.

If anything else fails, I will have to do the same!

On 3/25/2020 at 10:30 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

I haven't bought a LEGO set in a while, but this one needs to be on my shelf... Really looking forward to the ship portion of the build as well.

I imagine there will be lots of new renditions of the ship sailing the brick seas once we all get it!

I agree. This ship design is sick and is a great starter kit for someone to MOC his own ships. At least we will always have instructions!

On 3/26/2020 at 12:49 AM, dr_spock said:

Hopefully the set will be around for a while.  I won't be able to buy it right a way.

Mine gave me a Honey-To-Do list.  So far I finished painting the second floor.  :pir_laugh2:

I asked for a to-do-list but we don't have much to do really. Blasted dishwasher. If it wasn't for you, I could have volunteered to do the dishes till eternity for that set!!!!!

On 3/26/2020 at 2:43 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I'm maintenance considered critical to the continuence of benefits for the company we have 7 hundred some odd employees and all are laid off accept a little over 100 running essential operations ....

Somehow I believe the same will happen to our company as well... There is already a law out that a company can make workers work 50% less for apparently 50% less income. Luckily the marine part of my business which I am involved is faring OK (for now)

Edited by blackdeathgr

Hi guys! I think the original LEGO idea was very nice, but not so much in line with building techniques used in released sets. The redesign is great too, but having a full ship makes it probably the best set since a long time, with a lot of the newest parts and nice minifigs... I also think that my birthday is tooooooo far away! :iamded_lol:

About my IRL situation... my region was quarantined more than a month ago, and probably that confined a lot this damned virus: one of the three main outbreaks has been eliminated and the others are going better. Even more importantly, the disease is mainly confined in a region, with single cases more or less under control in other areas.

For my job it was half a disaster: I’m a biologist and in my lab we had to freeze some of my cell cultures and to throw in the bin the others, meaning weeks of work (and quite a lot of money in expensive reagents) lost. The only positive aspect is a lot of free time to build!

All the best for all of you guys - I hope we all come out of this crisis relatively unscarred. Luckily, it takes only a few bricks, and one will never be bored! :pir_laugh2:

I work in IT, and we can (luckily? :tongue:) all work from home. (As long as the sales side can keep us afloat, that is...) So apart from a little saved transport time, I have gotten no extra build time... :pir-bawling:

Still can't wait for the first of april, though...

That wont deter me from participating in the challenge, though, and I promise I won't let those pesky bluecoats get their way with Terraversa unopposed! :pir-devil:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

I promise I won't let those pesky bluecoats get their way with Terraversa unopposed!

He knows!!!!! *oh2* :roflmao:

16 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I haven't bought a LEGO set in a while, but this one needs to be on my shelf... Really looking forward to the ship portion of the build as well.

I imagine there will be lots of new renditions of the ship sailing the brick seas once we all get it!

Exactly..

The ship will be amazing but maybe we should just make capt. Redbeard and the Barracuda Bay/ The BSB a NPC part of the game? That way, we maybe will have a central pirate NPC hideout/café where all of the rumours go through, anyone owning the set (will be eventually almost everyone I reckon) can use it in storylines as well :laugh:

Good luck to anyone in trouble due to the virus. What a mess...I am in food-sales so I can still work luckily.

Edited by Fraunces

4 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Exactly..

The ship will be amazing but maybe we should just make capt. Redbeard and the Barracuda Bay/ The BSB a NPC part of the game? That way, we maybe will have a central pirate NPC hideout/café where all of the rumours go through, anyone owning the set (will be eventually almost everyone I reckon) can use it in storylines as well :laugh:

What a lovely idea...

Approved by the Rats

3 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

What a lovely idea...

Approved by the Rats

It would be indeed nice to have a NPC that is as fleshed out as our beloved captain :)

On 3/26/2020 at 2:09 AM, blackdeathgr said:

But covid19 seriously strangled our economy

We've been eating my savings since two months, but this one is an instant buy for sure, I missed the black barracuda when I was a boy, I'm not going to repeat the same error 30 years later. 

18 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

a to-do-list

As to the to-do-list, mine wants a bigger flat and a new car for her own, :wall:,and I agreed:wall:, so she won't say no if I buy a new lego set now, I guess:pir-grin:

Has anybody checked out the early reviews for Pirates of Barracuda Bay set yet? So far it looks like a really well thought out and put together set which is good news after the last pirates line...

Edited by LM71Blackbird

On 3/27/2020 at 3:37 AM, Bodi said:

As to the to-do-list, mine wants a bigger flat and a new car for her own, :wall:,and I agreed:wall:

Poor guy (although a bigger flat is always handy - think a new and shiny LEGO room) :tongue:

On 3/28/2020 at 6:48 AM, LM71Blackbird said:

Has anybody checked out the early reviews for Pirates of Barracuda Bay set yet? So far it looks like a really well thought out and put together set which is good news after the last pirates line...

It is definitely a really well thought out set. To be honest somehow deep within me, I knew it was going to double both as a pirate hideout and a ship, so that was not the big surprise. The surprise for me is how well built that ship look like (for a LEGO set that is). That and the price which I was calculating at 250€ - 300€).

Edited by blackdeathgr

6 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

It is definitely a really well thought out set. To be honest somehow deep within me, I knew it was going to double both as a pirate hideout and a ship, so that was not the big surprise. The surprise for me is how well built that ship look like (for a LEGO set that is. That and the price which I was calculating at 250€ - 300€).

I definitely agree with GR! I'm really looking forward to see how the ship is built, and looking forward to those minifigures! I was hoping for the slight chance we got some kind of green uniform to use for Eslandola but we'll just have to keep waiting. :cry2:

I'm very eager to get the set and I'm happy to see it come out this early. It's a pain that it is an unfortunate time for most of us right now. I'll keep you all in prayers! :classic:

Well, we get a nice update of the green vest torso, so I count that as a win for Eslandola! :pir-grin:

14 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Yeah, that's a nice torso!:laugh: Does anyone have plans so far as to any possible modifications they'll make to the set?

Oh yeah! I would like to have the ship separate and modify the remainder of the island to have 2 distinct models, the BSB and a pirate hideout type setup.

On another note, what do you guys think the chances of this set sparking a new pirates theme?

That's a good idea! I personally don't think Lego has any plans to release a new pirate series yet, but they may be closely monitoring the sales of the bay set to determine if nostalgic sets or a new pirate series may be profitable. That's just my outtake.

I do hope they bring back a new pirates line soon. Honestly there hasn't been a proper pirate, space, or castle theme in a while so one can hope! How cool would be to finally get an armada fort? :pir_laugh2:

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

2 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

what do you guys think the chances of this set sparking a new pirates theme?

Slim to none for the next 2 years i guess. They went full on with this set. Hope never dies though

Just now, blackdeathgr said:

Slim to none for the next 2 years i guess. They went full on with this set. Hope never dies though

Same analysis here. Given the last wave was 2015 and the one before that 2009, I guess it will be 2021/2022 at least.

Don't forget we had last year some Pirate creators (theme park ride and tree house) and in summer the pirates will have a creator ship as well besides this Bay.

Or it are indicators that we won't have to dream about a full theme soon. Or it are teasers... But I fear it is the first case and the reason they came out was to celebrate 30 years of pirates...

Just now, Maxim I said:

But I fear it is the first case and the reason they came out was to celebrate 30 years of pirates

That

It's my birthday today so to make up for the corona lockdown I bought the Barracuda bay just now. :laugh: the Fraunces brothers are going to visit the legendary Redbeard!

1 hour ago, Fraunces said:

It's my birthday today so to make up for the corona lockdown I bought the Barracuda bay just now. :laugh: the Fraunces brothers are going to visit the legendary Redbeard!

Happy birthday! And congrats on buying Barracuda Bay! That's a very nice birthday present to yourself. :pir-grin:

7 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Happy Birthday and Congrats! Can't wait to get it myself soon!

7 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Happy birthday!

I hope everybody is well and healthy these days. 

On 3/26/2020 at 2:23 PM, Fraunces said:

I'm all for it! This is something I had in mind for this thread since its inception, and using this set is just perfect. :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Happy birthday! Brickday? :pir-grin: