Darnok

José's Inn - Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole

@CapOnBOBS Too bad your laptop died on you, because that is already one beast of a MOC. Wow! Even though it's not even finished, there's already so much to look at. You're really nailing these digital builds. The bridge looks really fantastic and the added functionality is definitely a plus. Luckily, you'll get your hard drive back so you can at least try to salvage your work.

Losing your computer and work can be mighty frustrating. I wouldn't know what to do when my laptop'd give up. Like NOD said, having backups is a good idea. I copy most of my work and pictures to an external HDD every now and then + store some stuff in the cloud.

On another note: @blackdeathgr, I hope you're nowhere near the fires in Greece! Wishing you the best, man. What a crazy summer it has been in Europe so far. First the floods in Belgium/Germany/Italy and now all the fires all over southern Europe.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:04 AM, Khorne said:

On another note: @blackdeathgr, I hope you're nowhere near the fires in Greece! Wishing you the best, man. What a crazy summer it has been in Europe so far. First the floods in Belgium/Germany/Italy and now all the fires all over southern Europe

Thanks for your concern @Khorne. Fortunately we relocated 6 months ago from the place where the Athens fire was and we are OK. I had many relatives though that were affected at the other, way bigger fire in Evia island where the villages of my grandfathers were almost burned and the fire reached within 5 km from our village . All that remains around the villages where they hunted, cutting wood, produced resin and sheep grazed, is now but a sore sight that really blackens your heart. These places had been burned again 40 years ago but somehow they recovered within 20-30 years. Now we must again patiently wait 20-30 more years... And ofc after each fire, floods immediately follow.

In any case, climate change is a real thing and I suppose we must all adapt accordingly, so stay safe everybody!

Edited by blackdeathgr

Glad you're safe from the fires @blackdeathgr! We've had a bunch of wildfires here in Colorado too and it's eerie walking in the regrowing forests post-fire. 20-30 years is a long time!

@CapOnBOBS RE: data backups, like @Khorne I find it helpful to make my working directories nested inside a Dropbox folder. That way it's both backed up and accessible from synced multiple computers/phones/tablets. Hope they turn the fixed computer around quickly.

@blackdeathgr, so sad that Greece is burning, I thought it was absolutely beautiful when I visited. Glad you are safe, hope everyone is able to bounce back quickly!

I actually have a external back up of all my files (minus maybe 3 days of progress on that build), but I dont have a computer to put it on! 

In other news, I've signed up to display at a lego show for the first time, very excited (mid-Sept). Will post WIP shots, but lots of work travel between now and then.

As for licensing this build as a large commerce, I think that's probably best option at this point. Is that acceptable to the eyes of the court? 

5 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

As for licensing this build as a large commerce, I think that's probably best option at this point. Is that acceptable to the eyes of the court?  

Certainly. Unfortunately, the somewhat unfinished state would,  in my view, make it unsuitable for a royal, as we have a bit higher standards for those, but the above is already a good build and can be posted and licensed as a large property.

I don't think anyone else in court will disagree.

13 hours ago, Bregir said:
19 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Certainly. Unfortunately, the somewhat unfinished state would,  in my view, make it unsuitable for a royal, as we have a bit higher standards for those, but the above is already a good build and can be posted and licensed as a large property.

I don't think anyone else in court will disagree.

I agree with Bregir: that's ok to license as a large. :thumbup:

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 4:23 AM, blackdeathgr said:

we relocated 6 months ago from the place where the Athens fire was and we are OK.

So glad to hear you are ok!

Not mine ofc but awesome sloped wall technique for era appropriate forts etc (the rest techniques shown there, such as the round tower, are too part intensive I believe but manageable as well)

https://www.tipsandbricks.co.uk/post/1420-techniques-castle-wall-techniques-by-horlack?postId=26c01565-2259-4ea9-9cbe-340f8964c1ee

Edited by blackdeathgr

4 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Does anyone know which half of Silithonia the monastery ended up in?

My one?

Was in Nola Mar, but after examining the spreadsheet, it doesn't look like it has been licensed yet. I offered it to OL for licensing, @KotZ, do you want me to take care of the paperwork?

@Ayrlego I mean the one mentioned in our AMRCA:

Was this ever built, canonically?

If you don't get a response from Kotz about your priory, let me know and I'll pay the fees on behalf of the settlement.

6 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

In the absence of a definitive answer, does anyone mind if I put the monastery in North Silithonia (Oleon territory)?

Highly encourage

9 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

In the absence of a definitive answer, does anyone mind if I put the monastery in North Silithonia (Oleon territory)?

I've just glanced over the aMRCA, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't place it in North Silithonia and I definitely don't have an objection. In the absence of any other input, consider this a definitive answer :pir-laugh:

On 9/14/2021 at 2:08 AM, Ayrlego said:

I've just glanced over the aMRCA, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't place it in North Silithonia and I definitely don't have an objection. In the absence of any other input, consider this a definitive answer :pir-laugh:

Wait a minute....

I agree! :pir-grin:

22 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Does anyone fancy doing some Sleepy Hollow builds for Halloween? Could be suitable for any of the settlements, really. 

:pir-love: :pir-love:Now I love you a little more my friend! :pir_laugh2: :pir-grin: :pir-stareyes: Given the Era seting, I am sure we will see some great things! 

On 10/5/2021 at 5:51 AM, blackdeathgr said:

I am sure we will see some great things!

I'm afraid that I'm still parted from my Bricks. I've decided that this might have to be a longer-scale thing. Like my Great Alliance States story. 

Hey gang! I've been looking through your posts for few months and reading up on the EGS. That said I had a couple questions while I get started; Are there faction-specific starting locations? Can I and license and build in any settlement provided I can afford the license, it has room for the building in question, and the mayor allows anyone from my faction? And lastly, does my character have to physically be in a settlement or location to build and license? Outside this I'll just put a few free-builds up and submit the appropriate forms and see how it all pans out. I will change my avatar when my profile has 10 posts. Thanks to all. I've had a blast looking at your story so far and look forward to joining you all soon!

8 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Hey gang! I've been looking through your posts for few months and reading up on the EGS. That said I had a couple questions while I get started; Are there faction-specific starting locations? Can I and license and build in any settlement provided I can afford the license, it has room for the building in question, and the mayor allows anyone from my faction? And lastly, does my character have to physically be in a settlement or location to build and license? Outside this I'll just put a few free-builds up and submit the appropriate forms and see how it all pans out. I will change my avatar when my profile has 10 posts. Thanks to all. I've had a blast looking at your story so far and look forward to joining you all soon!

First of all - welcome to BotBS!! Glad to have you, even if you did join the stinky Blues!

Simple rule is you can pretty much build wherever you want! There are no starting locations or restrictions to faction or character location (unless explicitly stated so). Even if you cannot afford to, still submit a free build (which gets you 10 DBs) and then license it when you get the doubloons. 

12 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Are there faction-specific starting locations?

Again welcome @Jeff of Clubs! There are not specific starting locations, you sigfig can move with the story you craft for them pretty freely. New troops must start in the settlement they are drawn from and ships generally should start in a settlement within their faction. Some settlements have restrictions on who can build their but most do not, it should be listed on that settlements thread. All of Oleon's settlements are open to anyone in Oleon. Your sigfig does not need to be present to license something. The most rigid rules in the game are about the EGS and controlling money, so where something doesn't really impact that, things are pretty open to building your story.