TheBrickPal

LEGO Ideas - 123 Sesame Street

8 minutes ago, Kallego said:

Actually Lego does own the submission. I think the ideas terms say you are not allowed to use your submission for commercial reasons for three years...

Huh, interesting. The more you know... :laugh:

However, my other point still stands. They won’t release official instructions for a fan-made MOC :tongue:

I am loving it and at the $200 price tag here in Australia, I will be buying this on day one no question.

And of course I will applying all the stickers :)

Having watched a LOT of Sesame Street in my time I love the various references to characters and moments from the show.

Slimey the worm. Rubber Duckie. Dorothy the goldfish. The pinball numbers clip. What looks like a UFO in the corner (presumably belonging to those aliens), Bert's bottle cap collection. Abby's face on the side of the building. The white birds as pigeons. The count picture and Guy Smiley on the TV. The references to both Super Grover and Baby Bear in the newspaper prints. The oatmeal cookbook. The pigeons on the roof. And probably more I can't see or don't recognize.

If they had done something closer to the original submission it would have cost a lot more and we wouldn't be getting Hoopers.

1 hour ago, Kallego said:

Actually Lego does own the submission. I think the ideas terms say you are not allowed to use your submission for commercial reasons for three years...

Actually, LEGO doesn't own it. The creator still owns the idea in the submission, LEGO just has the rights to use it assigned to them.

I like it, but the stickers...

Not to mention most Ideas sets does not have stickers...

Edited by JintaiZ

Everything is so detailed and contains brilliant new techniques for things, but my favorite parts are:

Cookie Monster's apartment. It works as such a nice vignette.
The lamppost and first floor of Hooper's store. Really cozy and classic looking.
The Goldfish print. Amazing!

My only gripes:
I wish the tablecloth was a print too, it would be very useful for some restaurant and Little Italy MOCs.
The Abby mural and flowers sort of looks like a memorial for her :sceptic: :grin:

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Actually, LEGO doesn't own it. The creator still owns the idea in the submission, LEGO just has the rights to use it assigned to them.

Yes my English is not good enough to be correct on a legal level. All I wanted to say is that the designer is not allowed to publish the instructions... At least this how I understand the terms.

Such a beautiful set in my opinion. May have to grab it at some point before it retires. Not really a set for me but the build and price are persuading me.

Downright charming set, they knocked out of the park! Not sure about the 18+ branding here, but the entire thing is pretty magnificent if I say so myself.

1 hour ago, Kallego said:

All I wanted to say is that the designer is not allowed to publish the instructions... At least this how I understand the terms.

The designer is allowed to publish the instructions for the original concept, but they are not allowed to put them up for sale (ie, money).

I loved Sesame Street when I was very young and while I most likely won’t be picking this set up, I still think it looks gorgeous. I love the use of vibrant colors and the minifigures in this set are spot-on interpretations of the characters. The stickers also had a lot of personality here.

I love the Steamboat Willie set, but it’s astounding to me that the price difference between that set and this one is only $30 USD. You just get so much more here. If I do end up getting Sesame Street, I’ll probably use up my VIP Points like I did on Steamboat Willie.

I also agree with the criticisms about the box. The boring black void for all of these 18+ sets has gotten old fast, though I do appreciate the green borders for this set in particular. I also think it’s weird that the age range for this set is 18+, but not Diagon Alley? I imagine the builds are more or less the same in terms of complexity and function, plus it’ll most likely be adults buying and building both of these sets (for the most part) so I don’t understand the discrepancy here.

2 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I'm also so curious where the pinhole connections are for.

So you can connect it to your Hogwarts layout offcourse :head_back:

Just now, Eaglefan344 said:

How is this set 18+????

Because Elmo, Cookie Monster and Big Bird don't wear any clothes. *oh2*

If anyone’s wondering, as far as I can tell Sesame Street has the very weird dimensions of 37x23 studs. I could be wrong though, it’s hard to tell in the corner to the right. Now to find a place in my city where such a weirdly shaped building will fit . . 

Great looking set, but will probably be a pass for me. Besides other sets next year placing higher on the list, I’ve kinda distanced myself from buying higher end buildings set that I can’t place in my city, unless I really love them. The details on this are nice & I like the placement of the two buildings, it makes it feel full & lovely. For now. It’s a pass. 

21 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

How is this set 18+????

It's a marketing gimmick...

On 10/23/2020 at 12:56 AM, MAB said:

The problem is for licensed sets the creator is not a party to license agreement, so there is very little they can do those rights (and they are prohibited from selling even the instructions.).