SNIPE

42100 - Liebherr R 9800 - MODs and Improvements

8 hours ago, suffocation said:

NEWS FLASH: It depends on how you want to use the model.

Mine's going to be kidhandled on all sorts of terrain by my nephews and they also appreciate a certain speed, so four XLs with a 5:1 reduction is the way to go, as I learnt from seeing them playing with my telescopic crawler crane.

In that case you need separate buwizz for the chassis and second for the uppercarrage, imo :)

23 minutes ago, Aleh said:

In that case you need separate buwizz for the chassis and second for the uppercarrage, imo :)

640x640.jpg

Edited by suffocation

6 hours ago, efferman said:

For all the Backhoe Fans, would this be ok?

Dude, your current actions pose a great danger of second purchase for backhoe configuration for me and my wallet and thus could severly jeopardize my financial stability...

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

7 hours ago, efferman said:

That is what I was imagining.

I think the harder part will be getting the bucket to curl and it behaving acceptably in the app...

41 minutes ago, rekreK said:

I think the harder part will be getting the bucket to curl and it behaving acceptably in the app

You could hold the phone upside down :rofl:

46 minutes ago, rekreK said:

getting the bucket to curl and it behaving acceptably in the app

The bigger problem is what to do with the bucket opening motor without confusing the app.

5 minutes ago, efferman said:

The bigger problem is what to do with the bucket opening motor without confusing the app.

Just leave it spinning with nothing connected to it. Or use a third party app.

8 hours ago, efferman said:

48874822988_c3c3a7bd8c_c.jpg

48875356871_662409ac30_c.jpg

It is a great bucket from that side. I do not like very much those specific parts so I will try to do my buckets with pieces, may be that the next specific part will be a bed for a mining truck.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

It has to be left connected, might as well use it, how about ladder lowering function?

17 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

nothing connected to it

For Calibration every Motor needs a endstop

15 hours ago, rekreK said:

how about ladder lowering function?

That is a possibility, but it needs changes on the uppercarriage

edit: free instruction is comming  soon

48881061702_a6ab7ce703_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Thank you, Efferman! :wub: Wil try it as soon as my B&P and/or set arrive.

Meanwhile I thought I'd see if the carrier was any good for a dual track mod. Seems it is, aside from the odd headache to keep the tracks stiff enough.

1280x974.jpg

1280x944.jpg

Running more tests on the carrier while I wait for my parts to be delivered. Since I expect to make the superstructure lighter, too, I switched to 4 L motors (geared down 9:1), used more frames and fewer beams and managed to shave off another hectogram:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: ). I was able to move the front and back panels back one stud and added a ladder.

1280x872.jpg1280x1132.jpg

1280x966.jpg

And just for laughs, this is what the carrier would look like in black and with dual tracks :laugh:

1280x897.jpg

When you want to hold the look you cant save much weight. There is much air inside.

two Pictures to compare the standard with my modified boom

48890395408_3af700de80_c.jpg

48891106922_6a5d691855_c.jpg

Any boom weight comparison pre and post mod?

I'm pretty sure that simply switching from Control+ to BuWizz/PF will save a few hundred grams in the superstructure, just like it has in my carrier.

Edited by suffocation

difference are 150 parts.

edit: to be clear, there are 150 parts more in the modified boom than in the set boom. This means not there are not in total 150 extra parts needed

Edited by efferman

10 minutes ago, efferman said:

difference are 150 parts.

Thanks for the mod,

How about replacing the CV and UV joints with the new CV joints where possible.and 16 tooth - 16 tooth gear trains with knob wheels

The new CV joints are not so hard to build around:

0XGGEgU.png

Regards, SNIPE

Got my B&P order at last and was able to finish the carrier.

Features 4 L motors geared down 8.34:1 as well as 1 M motor for slewing. All motors are driven by 1 BuWizz unit.

The chassis has been redesigned to be two studs narrower front to back (in addition to getting rid of that unsightly hub sticking out of its rectal passage), lighter and much stiffer. It now weighs 1092 g and can effortlessly carry 3 kg of ballast while moving at least twice as fast as the unmodded version (haven't tried fast mode and can't try ludicrous mode as the BuWizz is ver. 1).

Even with 3 kg on top, the carrier shows no flex whatsoever, which is to be expected when you cram 4 L motors and 16 5x7 frames into so little space.

Once mounted, the superstructure can be removed by simply sliding out the BuWizz unit and the four red pins keeping the turntable in place.

The side panels have been modded to look smoother.

1280x624.jpg

1280x777.jpg

1280x1169.jpg

1280x1159.jpg

1280x623.jpg

Edited by suffocation

I could envy you in DBG sprotckets. It looks great :thumbup:

You are using 4 L-motors in there?

Hi Igor, I got the DBG sprockets from Bricks&Pieces for €1.24 each.

Each sprocket is driven by 1 L motor geared down 8.34:1 (12->20, 8->24, 24->40).

Quite frankly I don't think I'm going to finish the model. I started building the superstructure with my spares (plus the only two XL actuators I could afford from B&P) and found it so dreadfully boring - probably the most tedious, unchallenging and uninspiring build I've ever come across. I studied the rest of the instructions and it doesn't seem to get any better, save maybe for the arm. Anyway, I got this far and it's as far as I'm willing to go.

1280x811.jpg