SNIPE

42100 - Liebherr R 9800 - MODs and Improvements

@efferman according to bricklink the set has 8 x 10.4cm hose, 8 x 13.6cm hose and 8 x 16.8cm hose.

assuming we can just use the 16.8 to go from connection to bucket actuators and boom to main actuator and not buy any extra?

On 1/28/2020 at 10:31 PM, efferman said:

First, as you can tell, this is my first post.  I came to this site to learn more about the excavator MOC for the Libherr 9800.  I run a mining company, so I thought the Lego 9800 would be a great build and would be cool on display in my office.  I saw the first version last April at the Liebherr Mining booth at Bauma 2019 in Munich.  I have a Lieberr 9400 (400 tonne excavator versus the 800 tonne version of the 9800).  The Lego version is what we call a front shovel and the backhoe is call an excavator.  I would really love to have thexcavator version of the 9800.  I purchased the MOC plans that Efferman designed, and I I think I understand the basic concepts, as the instructions from Custombricks are quite rudimentary.  BTW, I think the Boom on the excavator should depress a little bit more.  The dig set up is to place the truck on the lower level (floor of pit-the depth that you are digging) and the excavator on the upper bench.  You dig below you and raise just enough to clear the box of the truck you are loading.  So, with a large excavator like the 9800 you would be loading 200 to 300 tonne class trucks which have a height of over 6 meters.

So, I think I may understand the concept.

1.  It is best to purchase another kit to have the fundamental parts, hubs, and linear actuators.

2.  Use the bricklist modification to buy the extra parts for the excavator modification

3.  Now, I am confused about the controller for the hubs as the operation is different from the Front Shovel, I really do not know where to go from there.  I see comments about the Buwizz, but the process is not clear to me how to use, set up and operate.

So, if you would please indulge an newbie, I certainly will be grateful.  If there are other forums that address my questions, I certainly apprecite being directed to that post.

Clark

@Moseman to answer your questions:

1) you need to purchase one full 42100 set.

2) See my post on page 11 (11 feb) for the amendments to the parts list you need to make. Then purchase these parts from bricklink or however else you want.

3) I have not yet built the mod but you do not need any sbrick or buwizz to control, only the control+ hubs and motors that come with the original set. You do need a different app on your phone like BrickController2 to control the custom layout, but i have not yet reached this point so maybe someone else can assist with setting it up when you get there.

Edited by aussie_huddo
clarity

Hey everyone, I just bought 2 X 42100 sets one is going to be built in standard form and the the other in Efferman Mod, I bought the instructuons from CustomBricks.de and ordered the parts from Bricklink I cant wait for it to arrive.

I will be ordering the bucket as well to give that nice complete look.

Anyone build a truck and trailer to tow the 9800

On 4/1/2020 at 3:53 PM, Sammi said:

Hey everyone, I just bought 2 X 42100 sets one is going to be built in standard form and the the other in Efferman Mod, I bought the instructuons from CustomBricks.de and ordered the parts from Bricklink I cant wait for it to arrive.

I will be ordering the bucket as well to give that nice complete look.

Anyone build a truck and trailer to tow the 9800

This excavator falls into the multi truck and trailer load group

On 2/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, aussie_huddo said:

@Moseman to answer your questions:

1) you need to purchase one full 42100 set.

2) See my post on page 11 (11 feb) for the amendments to the parts list you need to make. Then purchase these parts from bricklink or however else you want.

3) I have not yet built the mod but you do not need any sbrick or buwizz to control, only the control+ hubs and motors that come with the original set. You do need a different app on your phone like BrickController2 to control the custom layout, but i have not yet reached this point so maybe someone else can assist with setting it up when you get there.

Just to follow up.  Have you been able to control the excavator with BrickController 2?  Just wondering how to manage that application.  I am almost complete with my build.

1 hour ago, Moseman said:

Just to follow up.  Have you been able to control the excavator with BrickController 2?  Just wondering how to manage that application.  I am almost complete with my build.

I made further modifications to the excavator

I changed the track gear ratio to 1.8:1

The track gear is now 16t 16t 20t-12t 20t 12t-8t 24t

I also changed the single sided 12 tooth bevel to a double and the 36t to a 20t on the turntable

The excavator now drives faster than the all terrain tow truck

I used the xl motor with efferman's gear setup in the superstructure to lift the boom and hid the 3rd large motor inside the superstructure allowing me to use the stock control app

Edited by james k

On 5/17/2020 at 6:24 AM, Malek83 said:

Hey there,

A little off-top maybe, but here is my son's mod of 42100 made from.... ;-)

https://imgur.com/a/Mcx2KeN

Have a nice day ;-)

That's cute

On 4/23/2020 at 9:41 AM, Gimmick said:

Yes u can control it with brick controller 2

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. So don't hold it against me if I'm about to make a silly question.
I bought the 42100 and I'm about to make the boom. But I want to make Efferman's modified version. Can I make it with the original parts, or are there any parts that need to be ordered? I remember reading somewhere that the boom has more speed because of other gears. Are they the stock ones or do I need to order other ones?
Can anyone help a brother out?

Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, joker000 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. So don't hold it against me if I'm about to make a silly question.
I bought the 42100 and I'm about to make the boom. But I want to make Efferman's modified version. 

Thanks! 

Backhoe or the faceshovel mod?

52 minutes ago, joker000 said:

@efferman the mod for the faceshovel boom. Do I need to add any parts?

Yes, there is a file with a extra partlist below the instruction at rebrickable.

Are all those parts necessary on top of the standard parts which are already present? Seems like a big list to me.... Or is it the small numbers within some tiles, that I need to order? (I also thought I read somewhere that the upgrade of the speed of the boom comes from different size/amount of teeth of some gears? Or do I have read that wrong?) Because if it's about the small numbers in the tiles there are no gears neceassary to order? 
And how do I place those parts in an order to have them delivered to me?

tnx for any help....

Edited by joker000

And the whole list needs to be ordered? Or only the tiles with the small blue numbers in it? Sorry for asking, I just want to understand how this goes.

And how do you gain the extra movement speed of the boom? What parts deliver the speed upgrade?

Tnx!

Except of the last part you need all of these parts. The speedup was possible with different gearings. But for this i had to move the motor positions. 

All the parts on top of the parts I already have from the original model/box I bought yesterday? Seems to me I will have too much parts, everything double, triple etc. Seems to me I can make the boom twice with so many parts. I counted over 1200 elements in that list. For example I see the hydraulic cilinders in that list, but I own those already from the original box, and i see for example some gears I already have etc.
I just want to know what parts must be as an addition, or as replacement for the standard/original kit I bought. 

Edited by joker000

Do you have seen the picture a few posts above? These are the parts you need. Not more.

I think we mean something different and we don't understand each other. The picture a few posts above I have seen. But a lot of the parts which are shown there, I already have in the original model I bought yesterday. So if I buy al of the stuff of the picture above, I will have too much because I already have a lot of it from the original model. I just want to know what I need to add or replace to make the modified boom. I take parts from the original boom, and add elements to make the modified. I break the original boom down, use those elements, and add elements to make the modified boom.
I am sorry for the misconception, to me it just appears as a waste to order parts I already have. Its not a cheap buy, apparently.

Or do you mean I combine all the elements from the original boom, with the elements from the list above? In my perception then I can make a boom twice the size, because then I have almost twice the amount of elements.

Edited by joker000

When a set has 200 pins, and a modification needs 264 pins, is this a waste of ordering 64 pins because there are 500 pins in the set? Yes, you have parts left from the standard boom when the modified boom is built, but it is far away from to be able building the boom twice as large. 

You need to order the parts from the picture, except of the last yellow pin. 

Edited by efferman