SNIPE

42100 - Liebherr R 9800 - MODs and Improvements

That's the superstructure rotation youv'e got there - I was talking about the sprocket drive.

And now I see you and Ngoc had been talking about the superstructure rotation the whole time. So I'm officially senile and stupid :wall:

Sorry, Efferman :wub:

Edited by suffocation

@suffocation people get tired from time to time and with your education level you'll never be stupid. I wonder if portal hub from Unimog could be useful...yesterday I was experimenting on one of my project for (half) tracked vehicle and it looks that when I use 8-24 and 12-24 reductions it runs smooth (at the moment powered by just one XL motor)

If you're going to be using hubs, why not jump directly to the planetary one?

Note if you use a portal hub, then the final drive still moves through a normal axle with associated deformation risks. In the stock model, the final 12-36 and 28-36 gearings are reinforced with pins.

A quick check does confirm you can snap a hub onto a track wheel.

I'm afraid the new planetary hubs would be really awkward (and costly, at least for now) to implement on this model. Not a bad idea, though, and definitely feasible on something a bit more "enveloping" like a tank.

Ā 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:10 PM, SNIPE said:
  • add two more XL motors for drive and steering (it cannot really steer on rough terrain and it has a spare port on one of the hubs but will need some sort of port multiplexer unless I can cram yet another hub in there (yes so 18 batteries in total *oh2*).

You could put the extra hub in the superstructure (lots of room). Of course you'd have to transfer the motor and drive mechanism for the turntable to the superstructure as well to prevent twisting of wires. This will have the added benefit that you get more space in the base to place the extra motors and drive mechanisms for the tracks.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:10 PM, SNIPE said:
  • Motorized ladder using a geared down control+ L motor (or is it M-motor ? :wacko:).

You can then use the extra hub for the motorised ladder as well.

If you do this you'd still have 2 unused ports on the extra hub. Maybe use those for adding a few real lights?

2 hours ago, efferman said:

The new undercarriage for the 42100 is done and i think it looks much better

Your combination reminds me on this

liebherr-job-report-cover-t-282-c-truck-

4 hours ago, efferman said:

48847460073_eb28dd1f8e_c.jpg

That looks great! Iā€™m tempted to get the 42100, not sure yet because of the new electronics. However this combo makes it much more interesting!

11 hours ago, efferman said:

*snip*

Looks really nice. Any chance at a video of it? I might end up wanting to build it this way once I get it.

I'd also be really interested to see if someone can come up with the normal facing shovel variant as a B-model, or even with extra parts.

Thanks Guys

4 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Any chance at a video of it?

First i have to fix the track tension. The Sprockets are jumping over sometimes.

Ā 

edit:

Ā 

Edited by efferman

Having tested the hell out of my four-motor prototye and tweaked it for torsional rigiditiy (not really necessary but OCD rules), I've started prepping the carrier. Stuck here until I get my grubby mitts on the actual set due to not having the sprockets and other parts in DBG.

Also hoping someone with some sense of aesthetics (rules me out, of course) comes up with a mod for the side panels on the tracks - the set's panels are execrable.

1280x1144.jpg

1280x1139.jpg

1280x549.jpg

1280x771.jpg

1280x804.jpg

Ā 

Edited by suffocation

Because the stick is at the bucket end a bit wobbly i will go into a more solid version

48865114946_a12b87226f_c.jpg

Ā 

48865781751_bb016c58aa_c.jpg

Ā 

Edited by efferman

On 10/3/2019 at 11:16 PM, efferman said:

Yes. On the left you see the original drivetrain

48836254472_79d84c6d73_c.jpg

warum by Michael Wirth, auf Flickr

Maybe TLG used a 12 and 36 tooth bevel gear combo because 12 on 12 was slipping due to poor support.

Edited by Zerobricks

8 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

ļ»æwasļ»æļ»æ slipping due to poor supporļ»æt.

Both versions have the 12/12 combo.

2 minutes ago, efferman said:

Both versions have the 12/12 combo.

Ah, right, my bad, forgot the motor doesn't drive the 36 directly.

4 hours ago, efferman said:

Opinions about the new Boom?

The difference is subtle, but comparing side by side, yours is much cleaner - and I hope stronger?

Now, onto the most important mod - scoop bucket, so it can actually pick up bricks...

Ā 

1 minute ago, rekreK said:

and I hope strongerļ»æļ»æļ»æ

The structure is stronger, but the internals are changed for more speed and less torque. Digging my Pins is still possible and much less tranqilizing.

Hey guys! Isn't it too much to use 4 XL motos for drive? Reduction would be at least 1:5, how do thinkĀ if using one XL per side would be enough for relaxing driving?

Edited by Aleh

Just now, Aleh said:

Isn't it too much to use 4 XL motos for drive?

Overkill is only to replace by more overkill.

A short Vid about the movements of my modified Boom.

Mainboom drivetrain is still standard

Bucketstick has now a 1:1 reduction

Bucket motor is now at the place at the former bucketopener and has now a 1:1 reduction

Bucketopener is placed now at the former Bucketmotor place and its reduction is 20:16.

Ā 

23 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Hey guys! Isn't it too much to use 4 XL motos for drive? Reduction would be at least 1:5, how do thinkĀ if using one XL per side would be enough for relaxing driving?

NEWS FLASH: It depends on how you want to use the model.

Mine's going to be kidhandled on all sorts of terrain by my nephews and they also appreciate a certain speed, so four XLs with a 5:1 reduction is the way to go, as I learnt from seeing them playing with my telescopic crawler crane.