Sariel

42100 Liebherr R 9800 hands-on review [VIDEO]

To complete the review, here's the 42100 designer answering the most burning questions :)

Is it possible to have a written summary of the main answers?

Also, has been revealed why were you allowed to publish the review before all the others?

17 minutes ago, mpj said:

Also, has been revealed why were you allowed to publish the review before all the others?

e has many,many followers. alone at youtube he has more than 200k subscribers. in relation to my 2400 subscribers this is a massive amount. Lego would be really silly if they wouldnt use this reach.

6 hours ago, Sariel said:

To complete the review, here's the 42100 designer answering the most burning questions :)

Audio's a bit loud and tinny on Markus's end so it's a bit difficult to understand him. :sceptic: Written summary would be cool.

18 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Audio's a bit loud and tinny on Markus's end so it's a bit difficult to understand him. :sceptic: Written summary would be cool.

Sounds like eco or feedback. Like if the mic picks up sound from the speakers.

3 hours ago, efferman said:

e has many,many followers. alone at youtube he has more than 200k subscribers.

The reason is somewhat different and will be revealed in a couple of days.

Just now, Sariel said:

The reason is somewhat different and will be revealed in a couple of days.

I have an intuition you might be moving up north soon... :wink:

3 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

moving up north soon

Finland, Norway or Sweden. Denmark ist not possible, because it is in northwest orientation.

Do you really will work in Billund?

8 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I have an intuition you might be moving up north soon... :wink:

No, I'm not getting hired by LEGO. I don't think this will ever happen.

Cool interview with some good questions :thumbup:

I agree with Markus that a new space shuttle would be pretty awesome (It's one of the few things that can get away with being mechanically unrealistic, like how are you going to make a real rocket engine in Lego, so it can purely be a showcase of cool mechanisms. I'll resist the temptation to make you all read through a long wish list I have for that model!) and also his shout out to the Arocs. Best....Lego....product....ever! 

He also mentioned that the new powered up software that will allow us to make our own control layouts will be able to handle 8 hubs! That's fantastic!!!!! That's 32 outputs (but also 48 batteries) which is very impressive and a big improvement over PF in that regard. I wonder, does that make not being able to stack plugs less of an issue? What do you guys think? Knowing that the powered up app coming in the future can support multiple hubs makes the new powered up elements much more exciting.

I can understand why he wouldn't want to make this particular model pneumatic (as much as I hate to say it). This model really needed to be a showcase for the new RC control+ system. Now of course it IS possible to maintain an excellent level of control in an RC pneumatic application but to really do it right you would ideally want to have a more efficient compressor pump (or maybe just more of them as all official sets seem to be limited to using only one for some reason), a pressure sensor so that the compressor turns on and off automatically as needed (the app would allow you to set the points at which the motor turns on and off up to 100 psi or when hoses start popping off), a small, 3x3 or 3x4 hi torque motor to connect directly to the valve and ideally (but less likely) an adjustable one way restriction valve (or at least a way to mimic the action of one in software by limiting the valves travel). All that is too much new stuff to ask for in a year where they have already had to release the whole new control+ system as well as some other cool new parts like the reduction hubs. But of course there's always hoping for the future. I think an RC pneumatic forklift or something like that would be a good showcase for that (an excavator or front loader would be better but those have been done as flagships in recent years, one VERY recent!) 

I also think it's interesting that Markus mentioned that if he could add anything extra it would be lights. I also agree that this would be cool. But now with control+ I think there is an opportunity to do something much more interesting with the lights. You could have a single lead going to a brick, which then instead of having only 2 lights you could have 8 or something like that. Then in the powered up app you can program how they work, so in a car you could have 2 headlights that you can turn on and off, 2 brake lights that come on when the car decelerates and 4 indicator lights that blink correctly when you turn the wheels left or right, all from only one port. Or you could have 4 pairs ramp up and down in sequence, so that when you place them in 2 2x2 trans yellow round bricks they look just like those amber rotating beacons you see on construction equipment, again all off one port. Then there's cool light sequences on emergency vehicles (perhaps also with a separate sound brick with inbuilt speaker so the sounds of sirens is actually coming from the vehicle itself?) and lights for fair ground rides that you could program and so on. 

So yeah, nice interview that has got me more excited for the future possibilities of powered up/control+. I guess only time will tell if it's potential turns to reality.

9 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

There goes my hope of printed parts on a £400 set!  

but it does look like we have gone back to quality 1980's stickers!

They are transparent, which means they'll last longer.

Really interesting talk, I like his answers, doing 42100 with pneumatics would be great to see but not so great to play with as pointed out in the interview, with the app and LAs you got the most precision and smooth movements ever. 

Looking forward for a new 8480 too, would be awesome???. Fingers crossed!!!

As Sariel suggested in the video, a control playstation style or similar would be great for models and mocs even because of the 4 front buttons that allows you to use mani functions at one time

Not sure if this is the right place for this post.

I received the 42100 set for my birthday on March 31st and the next day we went into Covid-19 lock down.
So I had plenty of time to build this and keep me occupied.

Found it a quite a complex build but only made a few mistakes, i.e one panel upside down but easy to fix. At times it was hard to figure out where parts fitted but eventually achieved.

Commenced building this model April 2nd and finished building on April 11th.

Downloaded the Control + app and after downloading the latest firmware It connected to both hubs OK.

I have a few queries & problems.
I am using an Apple iPad for control.

I followed the section that tested all the various movements OK.

Carried out the calibration step OK.

Then onto the Control+  set up stage.

I found the touch screen controls were not easy to use with arthritic fingers. Much prefer controls with joysticks and dials.

Tracks:- found operating both to travel in straight line very difficult - assume this can be done using the programming.

Found it verey hard to remove the battery cover for the hub in the upper structure.

Followed the demo program but ended up with bucket grounded and lifting whole machine and had to remove both batteries to re-start.

When at the demo programming stage how do you leave that screen to start again ?

Is there an emergency stop ?

How do you turn off the hubs when session finished  or do they shut down after a period on no activity ?

Are there any programs for the digging to dumping cycle that can be easily installed ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Doug72

10 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Closing the app should deactivate the hub. That's how it works on 42099 at least.

I'm with you on the touch screen controls as well: I don't have arthritis, though I think there's a bit of gamer's grip/carpal tunnel in there somewhere. I prefer joysticks and I still think PF is more tactile and fun to control.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Closing the app should deactivate the hub. That's how it works on 42099 at least.

Thats the problem, when on the demo programming page there is no way to exit it that I can find.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm with you on the touch screen controls as well: I don't have arthritis, though I think there's a bit of gamer's grip/carpal tunnel in there somewhere. I prefer joysticks and I still think PF is more tactile and fun to control.

Agree much more tactile. I have found the alternative control screen which much easier to use but still can't close down the app without shutting down the iPad.

Does anyone have the program steps for a simple digging cycle.

Edited by Doug72

On 10/1/2019 at 7:53 PM, Sariel said:

No, I'm not getting hired by LEGO. I don't think this will ever happen.

Since the thread got bumped, I got back to read this statement. You seem quite confident in this: is it because you know you won't move, you want to select your own subjects for models or some other reason?

4 hours ago, Doug72 said:

I found the touch screen controls were not easy to use with arthritic fingers. Much prefer controls with joysticks and dials.

Tracks:- found operating both to travel in straight line very difficult - assume this can be done using the programming.

Found it verey hard to remove the battery cover for the hub in the upper structure.

Followed the demo program but ended up with bucket grounded and lifting whole machine and had to remove both batteries to re-start.

When at the demo programming stage how do you leave that screen to start again ?

Is there an emergency stop ?

How do you turn off the hubs when session finished  or do they shut down after a period on no activity ?

Are there any programs for the digging to dumping cycle that can be easily installed ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• There is a program called "BrickController2"If you have a gamepad, you can use it with this app to control the Liebherr.It should be available in the apple app store. Videos with a configuration that fits the Liebherr controls are available on youtube (racingbrick I think).
  • Yes, there are "blocks" for moving a defined distance forward or backward. But slots for direct access for programs in the main interface are limited. If you don't use this interface at all, you can of course use more programs. If you use BrickController2 and a gamepad with enough buttons, you can bind both motors on one button for driving straight farwards/backwards. If you don't own a gamepad maybe borrow one first to give it a try. But: BrickController2 can NOT be programmed with automated movements.
  • I'm not sure, but wasn't the last step in the demo supposed to lift up the excavator? :) Anyway, no need to remove batteries in cases something went wrong. In the worst case (gears moved by hand,..) you should only have to calibrate again. After calibration every movement that works is supposed to work.
  • Isn't there a symbol with three horizontal lines at the top left?
  • There is a stop when a program is running and you are on the programming page. On the normal control-screen manual input should stop the program.
  • The hubs turn off seconds after the connection is lost/program is closed.
  • I do not think so. But there is a programming block, that lowers the showel exactly to the ground and you can capture own movements as program. Maybe you can create the desired movements this way.

Programs on apple are closed this way:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330

1 hour ago, Gimmick said:
  • There is a program called "BrickController2"If you have a gamepad, you can use it with this app to control the Liebherr.It should be available in the apple app store. Videos with a configuration that fits the Liebherr controls are available on youtube (racingbrick I think).
  • Yes, there are "blocks" for moving a defined distance forward or backward. But slots for direct access for programs in the main interface are limited. If you don't use this interface at all, you can of course use more programs. If you use BrickController2 and a gamepad with enough buttons, you can bind both motors on one button for driving straight farwards/backwards. If you don't own a gamepad maybe borrow one first to give it a try. But: BrickController2 can NOT be programmed with automated movements.
  • I'm not sure, but wasn't the last step in the demo supposed to lift up the excavator? :) Anyway, no need to remove batteries in cases something went wrong. In the worst case (gears moved by hand,..) you should only have to calibrate again. After calibration every movement that works is supposed to work.
  • Isn't there a symbol with three horizontal lines at the top left?
  • There is a stop when a program is running and you are on the programming page. On the normal control-screen manual input should stop the program.
  • The hubs turn off seconds after the connection is lost/program is closed.
  • I do not think so. But there is a programming block, that lowers the showel exactly to the ground and you can capture own movements as program. Maybe you can create the desired movements this way.

Programs on apple are closed this way:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330

Thanks for your advice but I am still unable to close down the app.   Re-calibrated everything again and all correct..
Its the control page I don't seem to be able to close only goes back to the menu screen which has a large white X in top left corner on screen which if clicked takes back to controls again, feel like I am going around in circles !! I get the feeling I am missing a step somewhere.

If I go back to the iPad desktop the hub lights remain blue for a long time. Only way to get them to turn off is by shutting down the iPad, and hub lights turn white (lost connection ?) & go out after a short while.

I will try again tommorrow.

Edited by Doug72

17 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks for your advice but I am still unable to close down the app.   Re-calibrated everything again and all correct..
Its the control page I don't seem to be able to close only goes back to the menu screen which has a large white X in top left corner on screen which if clicked takes back to controls again, feel like I am going around in circles !! I get the feeling I am missing a step somewhere.

If I go back to the iPad desktop the hub lights remain blue for a long time. Only way to get them to turn off is by shutting down the iPad, and hub lights turn white (lost connection ?) & go out after a short while.

I will try again tommorrow.

Unlike programs on PC apps on mobile/smartdevices ususally have no option for closing directly, you have to use the device/OS controls to close the app/switch to an app. I only have an android phone so I cannot tell you exactly what you have to do, sorry.

I bought the Liebherr Lego 42100 because I was attracted by the new engines and hubs. But I recognized in the comments that I see in this post the same points that I wanted to improve: great new bluetooth technology, but the mechanics are very simplified. The model remained on my shelf a few weeks, then I disassembled it and I built a moc with the mechanics I expected: all the motors in the turntable, subtractor for the movement of the tracks without symmetry problems and tracks with tensioner. If you are interested there is a post here.

13 hours ago, Flybum said:

I bought the Liebherr Lego 42100 because I was attracted by the new engines and hubs. But I recognized in the comments that I see in this post the same points that I wanted to improve: great new bluetooth technology, but the mechanics are very simplified. The model remained on my shelf a few weeks, then I disassembled it and I built a moc with the mechanics I expected: all the motors in the turntable, subtractor for the movement of the tracks without symmetry problems and tracks with tensioner. If you are interested there is a post here.

Thanks for your reply - now found the problem.
My son who is an IT engineer says in order to exit the Control+ app I need to double click the Home button.

Its the iPad that is the problem when trying to close the app.  Recently the home button has been acting up and needs a good push to activate it.
1st push return screen to the desktop but 2nd puish does not shut the app down, for now I will have to shut down the iPad in order to close the Control+ app.

He has recently brought the latest Apple iPad and will be donating his older one to me but due lock down will be a while until he delivers it as he lives 20 miles away !!!

Re Subtractors, yes agree thats the best system for twin tracks.
I have used them before on MOCs and have a built one for future use a spare track unit using an XL motor for track drive with an L motor for steering.

49768557212_1c553b777a_z.jpgI

Edited by Doug72

3 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks for your reply - now found the problem.
My son who is an IT engineer says in order to exit the Control+ app I need to double click the Home button.

There's no exit in the Control+ or Powered Up apps, even if you turn off the screen of the device the connection to the hub remains active. Your son told you half of the solution - if you double click the Home button then you'll see a grid or carousel view of your apps that are running, you need to tap and "slide out" the Control+ app off the screen in order to close it. Here are some visual instructions for the different generations and iOS versions.