30 minutes ago, Sardo said:

Mayby this wil solve the 3 .5 stuc problem

The first problem with this solution is the free movement of the driving ring. It slips down easily to the hub. The main problem: it does not solve anything.  

I try to describe the issue:

800x343.jpg

Looking at just one side, there is an old cv coming from the diff, then the new cv into the hub. The issue is the gap between them. There is a 1/4 stud "naked" axle. (circled on the right side of the pic) Why 1/4 stud? That is the left side of the picture to explain. So if I didn't cut that axle, I must be using a 2L axle.  The math, as follows:

1.5 stud in the old cv + 0.25 stud between + 1stud in the new cv = 2,75. Can't use 3L, but the 2L isn't enough and here is why:

When the drivetrain comes under torque, the rotational forces in the differential are pushing the side axles (old cv's) outward. In usual paralel suspension the gap would not appear, so only whole studs are everywhere. The old cv could be locked in space with bushes behind.

In my setup the 1/4 stud gap is enough to let the old cv come out from the diff. So the gap itself is a necessary bad to keep both cv's in their right place. My problem is to stabilize that gap, so the cv's can't get closer to each other. That is why at this moment I use an axle cutted to 2,75 studs. Math is above. :wink:

Edited by Attika
typo's

It doesnt slide out.  i tested it whit  a new xl motor at full torque it keeps running smooth  i think if u build.it   it wil become clear.     i used a blue half pin to prevent it from sliding down and keep.the cardan in place.       Best regards i wil make tomorrow a ful set upp including the motor  and post a pic

Just now, Sardo said:

It doesnt slide out.  i tested it whit  a new xl motor at full torque it keeps running smooth  i think if u build.it   it wil become clear.     i used a blue half pin to prevent it from sliding down and keep.the cardan in place.       Best regards i wil make tomorrow a ful set upp including the motor  and post a pic

Cool, the blue half pin was't obvious. :wink: Still if the gap between the cv's not locked, they gonna come together. Looking forward to hear about your experiences.:classic:

Just now, efferman said:

Can you wind a string around the crossaxle to fill the gap?

That's another way I guess.I've just gone for a more reliable solution, to not struggle on the field. :laugh:  In long therm it pays out. I've got plans with tis axle.

1 hour ago, Sardo said:

Built it with the pin. Now it is obvious. :wink: Does your inner collar on the ring rub against the upper wishbone? Mine does. It will work with PF motors, allthough there is some friction and noise, but the buggy motor will melt it. :grin: There is some limiting factor on steering too. Anyway, it's a very close call to be legal solution. :thumbup:  

1 minute ago, LegoTT said:

you don't have to cut part.

I didn't have to, I choose to. There were alternative solutions mentioned above.

9 minutes ago, LegoTT said:

For the price of two stud wider

The price I don't wanna pay. I guess this is where the misunderstanding based on relevancy. On a wider setup it might just work perfectly.:thumbup:

Just now, Sardo said:

:grin: Had that already.:grin:

Mine doesnt rub against the collar i Dont know  where the difference lies, between yours and mine but anyhow i like your axle so much i think i am gonna borrow its design and make a 4x4 of my own.    Great pièce of work  very nice supurb grond clearance 

Oh forgot to mention i also used a red 2 stud axle underneath the drivingring to give it a  bit more stiffnes in the cardan to the new male part 

Just now, Sardo said:

Mine doesnt rub against the collar i Dont know  where the difference lies, between yours and mine but anyhow i like your axle so much i think i am gonna borrow its design and make a 4x4 of my own.    Great pièce of work  very nice supurb grond clearance 

:sweet: That's the spirit. Feel free, it is the main purpose of it. 

Mayby if the whole.setup.is under stress it wil rub i have to do  more tests to look for myself. And mine does touch the blue pin

40 minutes ago, Sardo said:

And mine does touch the blue pin

The blue pin touches the collar from the side, not from the bottom, hence it isn't  pushing the ring upward.. That's how I meant. 

On 9/26/2019 at 6:50 AM, agrof said:

New era of Technic off-roaders is here. :sweet:

what if You shorten the wheelbase (2 seater) and build the most extreme, most capable Lego Off-roader, ever?

Well, I couldn't resist. Despite your suggestion, I did not touch the wheelbase. Had more benefit from it on steep hills. However, in the locker I've found  a chassis for the pickup, equipped with buggy motors. You know, just in case. :sweet:

So I've put the big balloons on it, got togheter a more crawler-like body and now I'm waiting for  the rain to stop. Few days, weeks maybe. :grin: Greeting from England. A teaser anyway, to know what to expect:

I really like the deep lug wheels, but not following my idea 100% is something I can not overlook. I note one minus point beside your name on my list. You know, just in case. :tongue:

On the serious side: looks good, though I think the body will be not rigid enough for roll-overs, which is inevitable in this field. Waiting excited for the test video! :thumbup:

21 hours ago, agrof said:

I think the body will be not rigid enough for roll-overs

Hm. That minus point put me this low? Serious allegation requires serious proof. Just to clarify, I was crying when I did this. Not my cup of tea, but I had to defend what's left. :grin:

For your amusement :wink:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15SEoWLawYoVhlvipwQ1A7K1pqBspQOmb

Edit: After the second roll the steering crosslink came off on the left hub. That's what I'm clicking back to it's place. No harm came on the body from the experiment :wink: (old, sloppy pin has been replaced on the link, that's considered safe now:sweet:)

Edited by Attika

19 minutes ago, Attika said:

For your amusement :wink::

I always though that cars were made to roll on their wheels, not like that :laugh:
On a serious note, the cage is pretty resistant, considering it's lego parts.

Just now, Touc4nx said:

I always though that cars were made to roll on their wheels

What you're suggesting, sir is called plan "A". The video covers plan "B"  :laugh: Literally the first time I did anything like this. Anyway, only my heart broke during this experiment.

50 minutes ago, Attika said:

Hm. That minus point put me this low? Serious allegation requires serious proof. Just to clarify, I was crying when I did this. Not my cup of tea, but I had to defend what's left. :grin:

For your amusement :wink:

I just burnt that list, and now I am strewing the ashes on my head, SIR. :oh: That was impressive, very impressive, thanks for the demonstration. :thumbup: :grin:

Edited by agrof
extending vocabulary

14 minutes ago, agrof said:

I just burnt that list, and now I am strewing the ashes on my head, SIR. :oh: That was impressive, very impressive, thanks for the demonstration. :thumbup: :grin:

:laugh: So I never gonna get that point back? You just destroyed the platform... :laugh: 

You're very welcome. I guess keeping the weight down is a half success here.  1.3 kg only. It just doesn't collapse under it's own weight. 

Very impressive indeed :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I feel for you and admire your courage :grin: Only 1,3 kg??! I love it! Especially those very innovative axles!

Attika you did it again that's a great looking REDHOG truck. And, I can't wait to build it, especially after building "Attika's Pickup with buggy motors".

Edited by 1963maniac

On 9/26/2019 at 12:24 AM, Attika said:

The black, soft springs give a softer, relaxed, lower stance to it, while the dark grey shocks (known from the set  8880) are lifting the truck to a practical maximum, but still can reach full articulation.

Say do you find both black and dark gray shocks being of the same quality? I have used both shocks (black ones are from 42007) and have a feeling that the black ones do not work as smooth as the dark gray ones, when compressing they seem to twist more easily than the dark gray ones. I'm unsure if this is due to the softer spring or the mechanical quality of the plastics.

22 hours ago, johnnym said:

Say do you find both black and dark gray shocks being of the same quality? I have used both shocks (black ones are from 42007) and have a feeling that the black ones do not work as smooth as the dark gray ones, when compressing they seem to twist more easily than the dark gray ones. I'm unsure if this is due to the softer spring or the mechanical quality of the plastics.

I think I've noticed the same, but it is more of a "stickyness". It is a sort of friction building up between the two parts particularly at the compressed state. Can be called that lack of smoothness. I had it on both kind and I have both kind without the problem. I gave it a good wash as in the years it is unavoidable to buld up some dust sedimentation, that helped a lot. Me personally applied some minuscule amount of silicone grease too on the inner rod. All good as gold now. Probably you're right, the black seems to be less rigid than the gray counterpart btw.

On 10/1/2019 at 2:49 PM, 1963maniac said:

Attika you did it again that's a great looking REDHOG truck. And, I can't wait to build it, especially after building "Attika's Pickup with buggy motors".

Thanks. Redhog is on the shelf. It is a bit humid around here lately. :classic:

On 9/30/2019 at 10:08 PM, MajklSpajkl said:

Very impressive indeed :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I feel for you and admire your courage :grin: Only 1,3 kg??! I love it! Especially those very innovative axles!

Thank you. I've got an update here. Your reaction on the hood made you to be the perfect addresse for the tailgate-bedcover update. :sweet: I felt guilty having left that end of the truck shamefully simple. Not anymore, though. :wink:

Also used the time to build it in studio:

800x570.jpg

800x566.jpg

@agrof I recall some interest of yours in the digital version. If a studio file does the job, then be my guest, please: https://bricksafe.com/files/Attika77/ultimate-pickup/Ultimate_Pickup_PF_L.io