Hi there, 

I've developed a very annoying habit in the last few years. I randomly build pickups and other 4x4's. Even bought a real one. Anyway, the latest one is quite a biggy (sizewise) thanks to the planetary hubs. I've found a trick build them into solid axles with a practical ground clearance. This trick is going to be conroversial here. But start up with the video instead:

All pics to be found here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Attika77/ultimate-pickup

In the comments under the video, noble members of our community noted, that there are parts which could solve the 1/4 stud misery. (if you don't know what is that, off you go, and whatch the video to the end! :yoda:)

One of these is the 14t gear from the old diffs:  800x442.jpg

I've made the attempt, but due to that collar on the bottom (top on the pic) it is too wide and puts srain on the drivline, making it hard to turn it by hand, so it is off the table unfortunatelly. 

So I speak for myself when I say, cuting those axles worth it. Not a rare piece, and costs 1 cent on bricklink, but only because there is no smaller value in the currency itself. :wink: In return the design prooved itself very reliable. 

Another "weakness" of the axle is the inperfect geometry. The wheelhubs  aren't completelly vertical. There is about 1 degree tilting inside on the top.  :look:  /---\ Before overdramatising this atribute, think, if you've noticed it in the video? :sweet:

Apart from the axles, the rest of the truck is the product of those years I've mentioned above.

The essence of it is a simplest possible drivetrain:

800x343.jpg800x450.jpg

And a steering solution refined for non-rack steering: (The render is made of an older version, hence the different connector)

800x450.jpg1280x549.jpg

If you don't belive your eyes, yes I choose to use 4x2 beams to form steering arms. It looks savage, but it is doing the job very well, brings ackerman geometry in the game. It does not hold the wheels rock solid of course, but in practicality it isn't noticable on the field. I've got a rack steering solution as well, but that brings the servo down

A, onto the front axle (I don't do that. Ever :ugh: )

B, into the mid chassis, where I don't have room for that. So we keep that for another build.

800x343.jpg800x343.jpg

Also has a working steering wheel using the rear output from the servo. ame old bevel system I've been using in most of my builds. Check the  1st episode of the pickup saga for more on that. 

Suspension

Solid axles on a 3 link setup. It is kinda made up design, slightly inspired by the rear suspension of my Isuzu Trooper.  Changing the shocks, or their hinge point on the top, gives 3 different ride height and suspension stiffness. The black, soft springs give a softer, relaxed, lower stance to it, while the dark grey shocks (known from the set  8880) are lifting the truck to a practical maximum, but still can reach full articulation. Not in all situations good to have your truck up in the sky. Like the climbing in the video. With low shock setting it made 52 degrees, but 47 "only" on big wheels and lifted shocks. The center of gravity moves with your ground clearance.

That's about it, the rest is smoke-screen, like the body, and fancy doors. :grin: 

Oh, here is a fun fact: When it came to the seats, I realised I have 2 adjustable seats salvaged from a lorry build from about 5 years ago. Luckily they fit perfect so just made a rear bench in the same style. A non adjustable lazy style. :classic: 

Please feel free to ask about it, or just say something about cutting axles.   I hope you find something useful here  to take home with you.

800x343.jpg

Edited by Attika
it's midnight, I should be sleeping

cool model, gives me hope about the capability's of heavy rc mocs. I just, also to use the new hubs, did a similar trick/exploit/satanic ritual where I permanently twisted the steering links to get a 90 degree connection (had to twist almost 700 degrees to get permanent twist). I say if its lego its legal however I made a similar axle and did not have this problem as the geometry was more wholesome (used 4l links then went up to achieve clearance if u want to try it) however another way is to just lock the normal double wishbone style although this might look odd it was what I went for in the end.

New era of Technic off-roaders is here. :sweet:

Exactly what I had in my mind: new hubs and rigid axle integration, only way better, than I expected! Ingenious MOC, I even start to like the CBBS (Connector Built Body Style). :wub: Is there any chance for LDD model to be shared for deeper analysis?

The only thing what bugs me from now on: what if You shorten the wheelbase (2 seater) and build the most extreme, most capable Lego Off-roader, ever?

Very nice pickup @Attika :classic:

Having watched the video before reading the description, I didn't notice de 1° inward you were talking about. And this geometry will enable you to drive faster on the corners :laugh:. I have two questions though. You have mentioned different height adjustments but does it have a negative effect on the steering? I mean, the steering link between the servo and the axle is more or less vertical, which could reduce the turning radius on one side. But I like your solution, simplifying the axle and giving the opportunity to have remote cockpit steering. The second question is about the tubular building. Is it a personal choice (a building style) you made deliberately or were you constrained by part availability? 

Otherwise, I have built your forklift, which I have modified for my needs and in order to be closer to a Fenwick H40. Very nice model and I discovered I prefer smaller MOCs (talking about scale) compared to bigger ones...

14 hours ago, Aerolight said:

cool model, gives me hope about the capability's of heavy rc mocs.....

(used 4l links then went up to achieve clearance if u want to try it) 

Thank you, indeed, the weight won't be a problem for the drivetrain anymore. (If it is built correctly) About that 4L link setup, I have no idea. Could you post a picture or something?

9 hours ago, Jurss said:

So much genious solutiuons in just one moc.

Cheers, I'm trying my best. :wink:

9 hours ago, agrof said:

New era of Technic off-roaders is here. :sweet:

What a wonderful time to live. :sweet: 

9 hours ago, agrof said:

I even start to like the CBBS (Connector Built Body Style). :wub:

That would be handy. As I'm aging, there isn't much  of a chance to learn panel based building. :grin:

9 hours ago, agrof said:

Is there any chance for LDD model to be shared for deeper analysis?

Yes there is, but there is a tiny chronological problem. I haven't even started to build it digitally yet.. I'm an analog developer. :def_shrug: However in the next few weeks I'll build it in studio. Let you know when it's ready. :wink:

9 hours ago, agrof said:

The only thing what bugs me from now on: what if You shorten the wheelbase (2 seater) and build the most extreme, most capable Lego Off-roader, ever?

Another fun fact: She came to the world as a swb. However that was a buggy motor setup. I've stretched it for the scale look and the climbing ability. Besides the current PF-L setup makes a long block what is placed between the front and rear cantral links. So  in this setup there is only 2 studs to cut off. But could do with my buggy motored version.:grin: Thanks for the shared excitement. :classic:

9 hours ago, grego18f said:

Very nice pickup @Attika :classic:

Having watched the video before reading the description, I didn't notice de 1° inward you were talking about. And this geometry will enable you to drive faster on the corners :laugh:. I have two questions though. You have mentioned different height adjustments but does it have a negative effect on the steering? I mean, the steering link between the servo and the axle is more or less vertical, which could reduce the turning radius on one side. But I like your solution, simplifying the axle and giving the opportunity to have remote cockpit steering. The second question is about the tubular building. Is it a personal choice (a building style) you made deliberately or were you constrained by part availability? 

Otherwise, I have built your forklift, which I have modified for my needs and in order to be closer to a Fenwick H40. Very nice model and I discovered I prefer smaller MOCs (talking about scale) compared to bigger ones...

Thank you, about the steering: The vertical axle with the connector is attached to a 9L link, what connects to right sud hub. That 9L link is the swinging bit and it gives a good amount of suspension travel with reliable steering. So the servo contros only 1 hub, and the two hubs are connected behind the axle. But I might missed the point you raised. Let me know, please.

About the tubular build: :grin: That's me, not the lack of parts. I gave my panels to the cats to play with, barely use them.... :sweet: Those, who know me for long say it is recognizable. In other words: It's not ugly, it is art. :grin::grin::grin:

Just now, Attika said:

About the steering: The vertical axle with the connector is attached to a 9L link, what connects to right sud hub. That 9L link is the swinging bit and it gives a good amount of suspension travel with reliable steering. So the servo controls only 1 hub, and the two hubs are connected behind the axle. But I might miss the point you raised. Let me know, please.

I was talking about the 9L link. But, considering its length and the play involved with the ball joint, I think the effect of being at high or low high is hardly visible on the steering range of motion. Sorry for having pointed out something useless...

4 minutes ago, Attika said:

About the tubular build: :grin: That's me, not the lack of parts. I gave my panels to the cats to play with, barely use them.... :sweet: Those, who know me for long say it is recognizable. In other words: It's not ugly, it is art. :grin::grin::grin:

This is what I thought while thinking about the forklift and the old supercar tributes :classic:. Maybe you can use your panels to build a huge box, so your cats can be hidden inside :iamded_lol:

11 minutes ago, Attika said:

Thanks for the shared excitement. :classic:

I do all the time, but in my workplace they always start to mention corporate policies... :tongue:

When I used the 4L I just did some lego geometry to get as close to perfect as possible and found an L shape linkage to be closest, but in the end it was still out(still about 1/4 of a stud) and I did not have the diff problem probably due to no using one rather than a large improvement in geometry (this moc only lasted a few minutes before it was scraped so no pics) . But like I said in the end I just used a locked normal double wishbone system to make a solid axle.

@grego18f for some reason I can't quote you. Anyway, the way I presented the steering linkage, leaves a lot for the imagination, so don't blame yourself. Have no cats, it was just a figure of speech, but got panel built boxes for darts spares etc.:sweet:

48 minutes ago, agrof said:

I do all the time, but in my workplace they always start to mention corporate policies... :tongue:

You must climb that ladder quickly.  Bosses are excused, aren't they? :wink:

Hey Attika, another beautiful, incredible MOC!! Hey everyone, Attika does a beautiful job on his bodywork with angle connectors. It's his thing. I love it because you can see the shape of the vehicle and also what is inside!! BTW, build at least one of his trucks because you will (most likely) learn some new techniques.

3 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Hey Attika, another beautiful, incredible MOC!! Hey everyone, Attika does a beautiful job on his bodywork with angle connectors. It's his thing. I love it because you can see the shape of the vehicle and also what is inside!! BTW, build at least one of his trucks because you will (most likely) learn some new techniques.

Thank you.:classic: This one easily sweeps away the predecessors. I'm orking on the digital copy slowly but surely. :wink:

38 minutes ago, LegoTT said:

Sbrick, lipo, rc tyres, cutted part...

Just buy an rc crawler

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I will now go to an hobby RC store and purchase an rc crawler.
If only i would have come up with that idea. 

2 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

It has a nice classic technic vibe to it in the bodywork. 

Thanks, it leaves more room for the imagination. :sweet:

54 minutes ago, LegoTT said:

Sbrick, lipo, rc tyres, cutted part...

Just buy an rc crawler

You know, I was just about to do that.

This summer I had a journey into the RC hobby. I had a few small scale kits, enjoyed building them, great fun on it's own right. Have a 1/10 4wd buggy as well. It reaches 50km/h with the upgraded brushless electronics. Fine machine with custom built body. My finger was already shaking above the mouse button to buy a traxxas trx-4. One sophisticated truck it is. Gearbox, portals, lockable diffs, bullet (and water)proof electronics apart from the servo. 500 quid. And just in time the first news came in about the new planetary hub. My thoughts shifted back to Lego again. Started to build the 8x8, etc. Finally I got here, where I've built something similar to the dream I was chasing in the RC hobby. 

Sbrick: Really? That is over the line now? :laugh: Could be 2 IR receiver if I had a PF switch, as one  motor have to be reversed.  

Lipo: Happened to be the same size, capacity, voltage, what is built into the Lego Lipo box. I'm sorry, I choose to save 40+ pounds on a plastic casing. Doesn't really effects the performance anyway. (It's gonna be crutial for the buggy motor version though. You gonna hate that... :wink: )

Rc tyres: The same size in lego tyres would be this one, with the well known nasty side effect: it slips on the rim. Should I glue it to be able to use?

Cutted part: Yep, I did it, the other way was to use a very precise amount of random filling (tissue, or paper) to fill the 0.75 stud hole in the old cv beside the 2L axle.  

By cutting those axles, I've eliminated one known anomaly to test the setup as a whole. If it turned out to be useless, you never know about it. but it worked. Hopefully the common wisdom here can find a solution for the 1/4 stud problem. If so, then the concept becomes ethicaly pure and can be commonly used.  Wouldn't be the first time when a flawed idea gets polished to perfection by another member.

I don't see nothing wrong here. It's a hobby, not school or work or contest with rules. Do what pleases you. Cutting 3L axles which come in abundance everywhere is no sin to me at all. And I totaly get your temptation about RC - been drooling on RC YT channels for months now, but haven't yet taken a step to the dark side of cash drainage ?

I love your truck though. Unusualy panel-less but still looks very cool and performs great as well.

12 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Thank you for your constructive criticism.

Ok I will be constructive by posting the solution from lego himself so the differential don't pop. But I need cao so I'm too lazy now

3 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

I don't see nothing wrong here. It's a hobby, not school or work or contest with rules. Do what pleases you. Cutting 3L axles which come in abundance everywhere is no sin to me at all. And I totaly get your temptation about RC - been drooling on RC YT channels for months now, but haven't yet taken a step to the dark side of cash drainage ?

Thanks, paid my toll, so I could return. :grin: Brought back usefull ideas from the "dark side".  Some of which I've implemented here.  

3 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Unusualy panel-less

My signature move.... :wink:

1 hour ago, LegoTT said:

Ok I will be constructive by posting the solution from lego himself so the differential don't pop. But I need cao so I'm too lazy now

That is good news for two reasons:

1, I wasn't aware that Lego has a solution for solid axle with 5+ stud ground clearance, using the the new hubs. But soon I can fix it with your help. See, just what I've said. I post a flawed idea, another member comes and solves the problem. Thank you in advance.

2, Finally you post something, contributing with somethig more than an arrogant opinion. :wink:

2 minutes ago, LegoTT said:

Je dois patienter pour poster la suite il y a une limitation des données que l'on peut appeler sur le forum

That's why it is recommended to use a picture hosting site, like bricksafe. so you can link as many pictures you want.

Oh sorry I didn't mean to speak french it was a mistake I will host that but I from a small phone and not a computer

Just now, LegoTT said:

Oh sorry I didn't mean to speak french it was a mistake I will host that but I from a small phone and not a computer

No problem, google helped me out on translation. If you have google drive, you can upload the pics there and copy the link to your post.

4 minutes ago, LegoTT said:

Bricksafe>search>diff pop

Sorry I can't do better right now.

The key is to use the yellow 4L axe

I'll bring it in for you:

20190928_121840.png

Reaction: It is entirely irrelevant for a geometrical problem that occurs in my setup, not to mention it doesn't apply on the given width of the axle. For the future, upload the pics with original resolution. Bricksafe will reduce it to be suitable for this site.

Geometrical anomalies as it is, usually get solved by great thinkers like @Didumos69 :classic:. Need your help here, Lord of Triangles! :yoda: