LM71Blackbird

[GoC - Sloops for the RN] Class 3 Cutter

[GoC - Sloops for the RN] Class 3 Cutter

From the shipyards of Quinnsville comes a ship built for greatness. A ship that is intended to serve in Her Majesty's Royal Navy and protect the shipping of Corlander businesses.

To answer the call of Rear-Admiral Fletcher to build ships to protect the interests of the Crown, a cutter rigged vessel has been crafted from the fine timbers of Cocovia.

48789027436_3a536f2753_b.jpgCutter 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The Ship is but lightly armed with 6 four pounders, but offers plenty of maneuverability thanks to its cutter rigging.

48789173007_5bac1d89fb_b.jpgCutter 4 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Such a small vessel doesn't require a ships wheel, but merely a tiller to control the ships course.

48789027816_40d1050af8_b.jpgCutter 3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Currently, she is only staffed with a bare-bones crew as she makes her way to the other side of Cocovia to join the ranks of the greatest navy in the Brick Seas.

48789027206_9c53f35f30_b.jpgCutter 5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

------------------------------------------

My first entry towards the GoC Oaken Shield Tasks. I am quite happy how the vessel turned out, especially considering my limited real brick collection, but there is always room for improvement. C&C are welcome and apprecieated and thanks for looking!

@Ayrlego @Bregir @SilentWolf @Captain Dee

Good looking ship, and not at all "limited". I like it a lot, well done! :thumbup:

And you're methodically working through the GoC tasks in order, aye? :pir-grin:

38 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

Nice & realistic!

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Good looking ship, and not at all "limited". I like it a lot, well done! :thumbup:

And you're methodically working through the GoC tasks in order, aye? :pir-grin:

Much apprecieated! Glad you like it!

Aye, you are correct, I am doing that! It is the kind of person I am! :head_back:

17 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

A brickbuilt ship !!! Deserve a :thumbup: for the effort !

The topsail yard is especially well thought with the old technic ski sticks

Thank you very much!

That's a neat little anchor. I like it.

I'm glad the GoC-challenge bears fruits. Time that Our Navy gets hegemony over the sea.

54 minutes ago, Wellesley said:

That's a neat little anchor. I like it.

I'm glad the GoC-challenge bears fruits. Time that Our Navy gets hegemony over the sea.

Thanks! Anchors are an element I tend to forget, but I remembered on this ship!

I'm no ship building expert by any means - my sad number of ship builds is testimony to this! However, I do know what I like and I like this! The angles of the hull make it look quite sleek and fast looking and that sail arrangement is very neat! A GoC :thumbup: from me!

26 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

I'm no ship building expert by any means - my sad number of ship builds is testimony to this! However, I do know what I like and I like this! The angles of the hull make it look quite sleek and fast looking and that sail arrangement is very neat! A GoC :thumbup: from me!

Thank you! I'm quite happy with how the whole thing turned out in the end. Sails are a hard part for me, so I'm glad you like how they turned out!

Nice little ship! By sure not as impressive as a full armed frigate, but will do its job against little smugglers or canoes full of angry natives.

3 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Nice little ship! By sure not as impressive as a full armed frigate, but will do its job against little smugglers or canoes full of angry natives.

:head_back: Thanks!

I quite like this little cutter - cool sleek hull and I think your rigging is quite balanced. You have also crammed in quite a few details like the guns, anchors, tiller, barrels, etc., which gives it life! You have a :thumbup: from me.

A few tips for the next time you decide to build a ship:

• Your gaff sail is quite long compared to its height, which makes it look a little odd. The gaff should probably be placed higher, and perhaps the boom should be slightly shorter. I really like that you have included both jibs and topsail, btw.
  • The topmast shouldn't be sitting on top of the lower (thicker) mast, but instead have an overlap. Your lower mast should probably be a bit higher too, but that might be limited by your collection. See here for a drawing I made a while back:
    43216766761_7f535b8591_c.jpg

Overall, nice cutter and a fine addition to the fleet!

Looking good, it proves that we could build a nice waterline model with some hinges and bricks.

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

I quite like this little cutter - cool sleek hull and I think your rigging is quite balanced. You have also crammed in quite a few details like the guns, anchors, tiller, barrels, etc., which gives it life! You have a :thumbup: from me.

Thank you! I spent a lot of time figuring out the proper sail pattern for a cutter before doing the rigging. I'm glad that it came out nicely! And thanks for the helpful tips, they be handy on my future builds!

29 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Looking good, it proves that we could build a nice waterline model with some hinges and bricks.

Thank you! It's the bricks I have so It's what I build. I'm glad it turned out well!

You have already received a lot of good feedback above so there is not much I can improve on. I am saving Bregir's sketch for my own reference in the future! I do find the 1 cannon with the small cannon ball opening facing out a big strange since the other two use the larger end. Not that it is a terrible thing to do, but it does bother my sense of order. Personally, I really like the tiller and the anchor. Those are nicely done touches to this ship. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, SilentWolf said:

You have already received a lot of good feedback above so there is not much I can improve on. I am saving Bregir's sketch for my own reference in the future! I do find the 1 cannon with the small cannon ball opening facing out a big strange since the other two use the larger end. Not that it is a terrible thing to do, but it does bother my sense of order. Personally, I really like the tiller and the anchor. Those are nicely done touches to this ship. :thumbup:

Thank you! As for the cannons... I didn't have enough of those pieces in black to make them all the same so I had to improvise. I wish it was not so!

I see @Bregir has already given some very good input, so I will cut to the chase and give my approval. :thumbup: I particularly like the fact that you made this in real bricks, even if your collection is somewhat limiting. Good work.