I'm working on reverse engineering VB's axle sorter[1] by scrutinizing the video on YouTube.  I've got it nearly completed in Stud.io, but I'm stuck on the final drive connections.  There are basically three mechanisms: 1) lifters to get axles onto the chain conveyor, 2) chain conveyor feeding axles out to the sorting area, and 3) wheels moving the axles through the sorting area.  All three are independently correct in my build (near as I can tell), but I can't figure how to tie them together in the limited space remaining.

Somehow there's a single motor connecting the two green gears.  Any ideas?  The 36t connects to the chain conveyor in the front and the 12t drives the long sorting-area axle (which also, behind the battery mount, transmits power down to the lift mechanism).

axle%20sorter%20wip_gears.png

12t / 36t as glimpsed from the front (video screen grab):

vidclip.png

battery box placement:

axle%20sorter%20wip_battery.png

Note that the black 15L vertical liftarm sticking up into the yellow area can be moved/removed if it helps..

My WIP stud.io file is on bricksafe[2] if anyone cares to poke around.

Thanks!
-Dan

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JClgd0bBvc
[2] https://bricksafe.com/pages/dkressin/axle-sorter-wip

It seems like there's another 12-tooth above the 36-tooth one. Does that fill the gap?

Edit: 

48789460908_d0650aca3e.jpg

Add the red gear. That should work.

Edited by letsbuild

7 minutes ago, Dan Kressin said:

I think that's it!  I need to tweak the rotations in Studio to make them mesh properly, but it definitely fits.  Thank you!

No problem, glad I could help!

:laugh: @Dan Kressin I just cam up with the same answer as @letsbuild  after looking at your Studio file on Brick set before I scrolled down. 2 out of 2 that has to be the right answer

Thanks for posting your work on the Studio file, when I saw your post on FB I knew I had to build it! Good luck with the gears, they maybe a challenge. My recomentations is to work from the motor out to the outside of the models drive system and SAVE often to save the heart ache ( I have done a lot of models now and found this to be the best way)

axle%20sorter%20WIP_2.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm probably about 75% done with the instructions.  There's a few minor structural connections left to work out when I do my first test build w/ real bricks, but nothing crazy.  Hoping to have it all done and posted in the next week or so.  It's definitely been a fun challenge.  I'm trying to keep as close to what I see in the video (pin styles / placements, etc) which is adding a little extra scrutiny but it's making for a few a-ha moments.  :)

I was actually looking to build the Akiyuki axle sorter but not any more this one is sooooo much simpler and cheaper to build. 

I would modify this one to have the catching trays lower for the longer axles so the axles can bend around the arch as they fall instead of dropping on the trays. Sticking to the original is good to start with but there is always improvements. Not even the Lego sets stay standard around my house! :grin:

Edited by HRU_Bricks

Yeah, there are a definitely a few shortcomings with the original version, but I love the overall simplicity of the mechanism and, like you said, it's so much less parts-intensive than Akiyuki's.  (Akiyuki's is definitely great in its own right, though.)

9 hours ago, Dan Kressin said:

Well, it took a bit longer than I'd hoped (delayed by a hard drive crash, mistakes found after building/rebuilding in real brick, and regular life stuff), but I'm finally done.

Sorter: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-31240

Bins: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-31244

Thanks, I could sure use an axle sorter, I once had an idea for a universal technic part sorter but to build it there would be no more technic in my collection to sort :P