LM71Blackbird

[GoC - FB - COR] All Hail the Queen!

[GoC - FB - COR] All Hail the Queen!

The beginning of fall is a most joyous occasion throughout Corrington. From the hills and valleys of the Motherland to the jungles and swamps of the isle settlements, every Corlander joins in on the celebrations that come with the birthday of Her majesty, Queen Annetta of Corrington!

48767628022_3331411ce3_b.jpgArch 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Major Nathaniel Brickford has arrived back in the city of Quinnsville just in time to partake of the festivities by leading a parade in honor of the Queen. Riding along is his father and mayor of Quinnsville, Richard Brickford.

48767425326_b947443555_b.jpgArch 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The parade is starting at the Sir Smaugton Arch - named after the first mayor and discoverer of Quinnsville - the official entrance to Quinnsville. From here they will march to the parade grounds where the real festivities will begin!

---------------------------------------

GoC Reviewer recommended edits: increased variety in terrain and tree. Horse armor removed and all troops are now right handed. @SilentWolf

48844556491_53f11d6af7_z.jpgArch 3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

---------------------------------------

This is a two-for-one build! A celebration of the Queens birthday as well as my final entry to the Glory of Corrington task #1 Redcoats Rule. C&C are welcome and apprecieated and thanks for looking. All hail the Queen!

@Captain Dee @Bregir @SilentWolf @Ayrlego

Edited by LM71Blackbird

Nice culture/ Queen's BD build LM71. It fits nicely with the style of your first two builds for the task and I like that you replicated many of the small details across the three builds: for example the same type of palm trees, colourful flowers and vegetation.

As always in the spirit of the GoC challenge, here are some of my personal views on I think this build could possibly be improved. The arch way itself is great, no recommendations here! The angle on the palm tree trunks looks identical as does the frond arrangement; especially in the second picture. Introducing variation in the angles here I think would make the scene look slightly more natural.  Good variation in the path although the green base looks a bit bare at the sides for my taste. Maybe some plates/tiles to break up the flatness? The only other things I can think of are also both very minor personal things; I'm not sure about the armour and barding on the horses, it doesn't seem right for the period and the armour hasn't rendered well which probably doesn't help; and, all the troops with the exception of the Mayor appear to be left handed which is messing with my mind! :pir-laugh:

Anyway all very small and personal taste details. Great job on a fun little build and great to see Quinnsville participating in the festivities. A :thumbup: from me!

2 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

all the troops with the exception of the Mayor appear to be left handed which is messing with my mind! :pir-laugh:

:laugh: Even with my real bricks I tend to put everything in their left hand! Looking at them from the front makes it seem like it's their right hand. I'm glad you like it overall!

Sorry that I have taken so long in getting to all the new GOC posts. 

It looks like you are using Bluerender for this build. I have found that on some builds the texture just doesn't turn out right using Bluerender, and that using a different renderer gives the build that little extra. For the build itself, I like the way it is designed and how everything is so orderly. Though I think Ayrlego has a valid point that you should alter the palm trees a little to give them a more natural look. I normally would just tell you to look into it for the next build you do, but as this is the third and final build for this challenge, I would like to see one more render with a little more detail before I officially give my approval. 

1 hour ago, SilentWolf said:

Sorry that I have taken so long in getting to all the new GOC posts. 

It looks like you are using Bluerender for this build. I have found that on some builds the texture just doesn't turn out right using Bluerender, and that using a different renderer gives the build that little extra. For the build itself, I like the way it is designed and how everything is so orderly. Though I think Ayrlego has a valid point that you should alter the palm trees a little to give them a more natural look. I normally would just tell you to look into it for the next build you do, but as this is the third and final build for this challenge, I would like to see one more render with a little more detail before I officially give my approval. 

Will do! Simple changes I should have factored in at the beginning. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't want to seem super picky on this, and thus I give @Bregir the right to overule me if he feels I am being so. I would like to see this build with a different renderer. For ease I might suggest the iStudio as you can import the model directly in, though I know there are a few others out there that I have used before. I know some take a lot of computer power so feel free to let me know if your computer can't handle a heftier render (that would be similar to someone not having a large enough collection which we won't fault anyone for.) If such is the case, we could talk about a way for you to forward me the file, and I could render it for you. Feel free to message me directly if you need, but I like the way the build is done but would like to see a different renderer used. 

Nice design here, the gold, red, and black above the arches looks particularly good!

22 minutes ago, SilentWolf said:

feel free to let me know if your computer can't handle a heftier render (that would be similar to someone not having a large enough collection which we won't fault anyone for.) If such is the case, we could talk about a way for you to forward me the file, and I could render it for you

Mecabricks renders online (and does a really nice job, especially if you're savvy with the settings) so if computer capacity is an issue that might work better.

4 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

I don't want to seem super picky on this, and thus I give @Bregir the right to overule me if he feels I am being so. I would like to see this build with a different renderer. For ease I might suggest the iStudio as you can import the model directly in, though I know there are a few others out there that I have used before. I know some take a lot of computer power so feel free to let me know if your computer can't handle a heftier render (that would be similar to someone not having a large enough collection which we won't fault anyone for.) If such is the case, we could talk about a way for you to forward me the file, and I could render it for you. Feel free to message me directly if you need, but I like the way the build is done but would like to see a different renderer used. 

I've tried Pov-Ray a few times, and for some reason I just can't get it to work properly. I use bluerender because it's super simple and gives a nice render. While I get your point about the render quality of certain colors, I personally think blue render does a pretty good job overall. I also don't feel like it should be a requirement to achieve a photo-realistic look if the quality of the build is more than adequate, even though gold and metallic elements don't come out the best. I really think it comes down to personal preference as Kai NRG (see below comment) quite likes how the gold came out and I myself kind of like it. I see it as a shimmering effect which is something you can't achieve with real bricks. Lastly, if image quality is your only complaint, as you said the like the build overall, I feel like that should be something to overlook. I can understand your comments on my ship about the deck, which admittedly does look like one big flat smooth surface. Something like that is something I will adjust. However, in the end, I do value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to comment on all my builds and point out areas that could use some improvement.

Oh, could you maybe supply a link to iStudio? I did a brief search and only came up with stuff for a Mac... I've got a windows machine with a Nvidia GTX 1050 2gb and 8 gigs of ram.

Also, I do most of my rendering in 1024x720, I tend to be lazy at times and I can render multiple photos in under 10 minutes... here are some examples of a 1920x1080 render followed by an attempt at 4k:

48883004136_fdb48f17f5_o.pngArch 4 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

48883207192_ac706e56d5_o.pngArch 5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

4 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Nice design here, the gold, red, and black above the arches looks particularly good!

Mecabricks renders online (and does a really nice job, especially if you're savvy with the settings) so if computer capacity is an issue that might work better.

Thank you! I'll have to give that a shot one of these days. Thanks for the suggestion!

14 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

and thus I give @Bregir the right to overule me if he feels I am being so. I would like to see this build with a different renderer.

As a regular King Solomon I will set a compromise. This build is approved, but LM's next GoC LDD build has to be presented rendered by minimum two different rendering programs for comparison (more encouraged). Examples have been presented above.

12 hours ago, Bregir said:

As a regular King Solomon I will set a compromise. This build is approved, but LM's next GoC LDD build has to be presented rendered by minimum two different rendering programs for comparison (more encouraged). Examples have been presented above.

A compromise that I am more than happy to live with. I'll do some research get ahold of a few different rendering programs to bring the presentation quality up a few notches.

Apologies for just now posting a reply. Nice design, good use of color, and a neat arrangement with the arch and landscape. I see the render issue was thoroughly discussed. Approved :thumbup: for the Glory of Corrington!