ReplicaOfLife

[MOC] GREEN BRICK GRAND HOTEL

Welcome to Green Brick Grand Hotel!

48782028191_8ca045956a_b.jpg

After over seven months in the making, it's finally time for me to present my newest modular MOC to you. Green Brick Grand Hotel is my biggest MOC to date, it is the largest both in footprint and height.
It is built as a regular corner building, but features an inverted corner!

Inside, it is fully furnished, featuring a lobby with reception and bar/loung area, dining room, kitchen, manager's office, an indoor pool and 6 rooms (two single & four double).

I estimate this one to consist of about 7000-8000 pieces. Building time was February to September 2019.

Except for the top of the tower, I did no virtual planning, it was all done as a free build using pieces from my collection (and a couple of bricklink orders I had to place...:wink:).

More pictures can be found in the flickr album.

48782196892_dc7ebd15e9_b.jpg

48782195372_ce9541d8b0_c.jpg

48782023846_e53b70bf54_c.jpg

48782168517_c4fa839748_c.jpg

48781637728_0941496394_c.jpg

48782006926_465a0bb59e_c.jpg

A couple is just arriving at the hotel...

48781641908_755f04bfd4_c.jpg

48782125607_4615be2fd6_c.jpg

Upon entering, you can't miss the reception. To the left is the grand sweeping staircase leading up to the other floors.

48781958716_277079fba0_c.jpg

The room for the couple isn't quite ready yet, so they enjoy some refreshments in the bar/ loung area.

48781960441_7e45c3115f_c.jpg

48781601623_309a33eb19_c.jpg

The dining / breakfast room. Currently, there's just one couple in.

48782137282_ce8d7e9c24_c.jpg

Overview of the ground floor

48781606068_6cd6ba814f_c.jpg

Coming up from the reception area, there is a nice atrium from which you can look down to the ground floor. This also gives access to the manager's office, the small pool and a huge double room.

48781607328_93589cc0db_z.jpg

The small indoor pool.

48782141732_3d371b5e91_c.jpg

There's only one room on the first floor, but it's a spacious double bedroom.

48781548763_0cd0654df1_c.jpg

The second floor also has two single rooms and one double room. Both singles are rather small, but they offer everything you might need!

48782083437_88184f1224_c.jpg

The other single room.

48781907576_448ac7b689_c.jpg

Double room on the second floor.

48782039822_cd115829bb_c.jpg

There's only two rooms on the third and topmost floor, both very spacious double rooms.

48781870491_4b6b16ca16_c.jpg

One of them even features a small balcony with wide, opening doors!

48782045102_d50a63bcce_c.jpg

The couple we saw earlier arrives in their room. They booked the other spacious suite on the top floor.

48781510158_d68ca31eff_c.jpg

Again, there are some more pictures on my flickr account!

Hope you like it - I'm looking forward to your feedback! :classic:

Greetings,

Tobias (RogerSmith)

Edited by RogerSmith

Nice detailing and overall design.  I like all the different beds & "linens" inside, and it's always great to see a corner building with a different footprint.  That center, angled entry is very nice and complements the rounded window area nicely.  Great build!

Very cool!

They say that "blue and green should never be seen", but the colour combination works really well on this building.

20 hours ago, Berthil said:

Nice build! From decoration and color I presume '21136 The Ocean Monument' was a donor set :)

You, sir, are correct. What an absolutely awesome parts pack for sand- and dark green bricks and plates that was. :laugh:

17 hours ago, deraven said:

Nice detailing and overall design.  I like all the different beds & "linens" inside, and it's always great to see a corner building with a different footprint.  That center, angled entry is very nice and complements the rounded window area nicely.  Great build!

It's a but of a boutique hotel with each room being different from the others, so of course the linens differ, aswell.
Or I just might not have had enough pieces in the same colors for 6 beds and came up with that backstory :wink:

16 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Very cool!

They say that "blue and green should never be seen", but the colour combination works really well on this building.

Actually never heard that saying, though others have already said similar things. Personally I think that with the right color blocking the different 'sand'-colors will work just fine together (maybe with the exception of sand-red, but nobody can afford that anyway nowadays :sceptic:)

Wow, this is simply beautiful and so clever. I love the inverted corner and the fact that despite that there is still so much room on the inside. I really like sweeping staircase and reception rooms, the awnings over the door and window at ground level and that lovely round tower, as well as the overall look and all those cosy, welcoming bedrooms. 

The title picture of this build is my first picture on flickr to be added to Explore :excited:

On 9/25/2019 at 2:16 AM, alsielou said:

Wow, this is simply beautiful and so clever. I love the inverted corner and the fact that despite that there is still so much room on the inside.

There's never enough room inside :wink:, but the large footprint really helped here. Still, I didn't manage to get a proper shot of any of the bathrooms, for example. :look:

A picture-heavy post :wink: with lots of interesting details on the inside and the outside. It's been a while since I last built a modular, but it's always great to see new designs and inspiring details. Considering the relatively small footprint of the building, space is pact quite compact, but not too crowded. I really like the 'Minecraft' wall art, the shape of the building and an interesting awning at the entrance to the round part of the hotel. I'm not particularly sold on the colors, especially there's too much classic rede for my taste, and perhaps going for a darker color scheme with dark red, dark tan and dark green for the floor pattern would look better. Nevertheless, that's just me being picky over details. Well done.:thumbup:

On 9/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, Redhead1982 said:

A picture-heavy post :wink: with lots of interesting details on the inside and the outside. It's been a while since I last built a modular, but it's always great to see new designs and inspiring details. Considering the relatively small footprint of the building, space is pact quite compact, but not too crowded. I really like the 'Minecraft' wall art, the shape of the building and an interesting awning at the entrance to the round part of the hotel. I'm not particularly sold on the colors, especially there's too much classic rede for my taste, and perhaps going for a darker color scheme with dark red, dark tan and dark green for the floor pattern would look better. Nevertheless, that's just me being picky over details. Well done.:thumbup:

I reinterpreted the Minecraft prints as modern art. Some might give the minifigs nightmares, but apart from that, they should be fine :wink:

Regarding the bright red: I actually would've preferred to do the parts of the lobby floor that now are bright red in dark red, too (like in the entrance). But I did not have the necessary pieces, and I didn't want to start with bricklink orders that early in the build. In the end I figured, what the hell, and just used the bright red which I had plenty of. :laugh:

I like this better then the Corner Garage.  I would buy this, know TLG would never build if submitted thru Lego Ideas but still can wish.  Excellent job.

Great model! There’s lots of interesting things to point out that made me go “wow, that’s great!”. Firstly, the layout of the model. I’ve personally never seen a building with this shape in real life, but maybe they’re popular in the north side of Europe. Anyway, I think it’s quite daring and that is works well. Secondly, how the hell have you crammed so much in so little space! :head_back: As for details go, I really like the red staircase leading upstairs, the blue awnings and the covered up arches in the bottommost part of the building (sewer arches I guess, really cool!)

I’m not a huge fan of the colours, especially using tan as a colour to frame it all together and for the windows of the blue towers. When designing myself modulars, I always end up (I don’t know why) using super bold, insanely highly contrasted colours. Your work is usually the opposite, more traditional architecture and more muted colours, but I anyway like it. I think it lacks a bit of consistence throughout, the eyes are a bit lost when they get to the sand green façades; very prominent tan horizontal striping and missing vertical striping. I think that the building looks a bit smaller due to this small issue.

Anyway, a superb model. 

Beautiful hotel,

So many great details, very inspiring! 

Edited by jpx

Thank you guys! :classic:

On 9/29/2019 at 8:25 AM, paupadros said:

Great model! There’s lots of interesting things to point out that made me go “wow, that’s great!”. Firstly, the layout of the model. I’ve personally never seen a building with this shape in real life, but maybe they’re popular in the north side of Europe. Anyway, I think it’s quite daring and that is works well. Secondly, how the hell have you crammed so much in so little space! :head_back: As for details go, I really like the red staircase leading upstairs, the blue awnings and the covered up arches in the bottommost part of the building (sewer arches I guess, really cool!)

I’m not a huge fan of the colours, especially using tan as a colour to frame it all together and for the windows of the blue towers. When designing myself modulars, I always end up (I don’t know why) using super bold, insanely highly contrasted colours. Your work is usually the opposite, more traditional architecture and more muted colours, but I anyway like it. I think it lacks a bit of consistence throughout, the eyes are a bit lost when they get to the sand green façades; very prominent tan horizontal striping and missing vertical striping. I think that the building looks a bit smaller due to this small issue.

Anyway, a superb model. 

I can't actively recall ever seeing a building with a shape like this, either, but I wouldn't rule it out that somewhere there is one that vaguely resembles this. The arches at the bottom are meant to represent basement windows - some are walled off, though.

You're definitely right regarding our choices of colors - I mostly abstain from very bright colors. Most colorful buildings in real life also seem to use toned-down or pastelly shades, not the extremely bright ones.

To be honest, if I had designed this digitally, without the restriction of needing the actual parts ion the required colors, I propably would have done a few things differently. When building with real bricks, you always find yourself maing compromises, which, for me, is part of the fun. One thing I would do different though, given the parts, is getting rid of the tan stripe in the middle of the first two upper floors. That would tie those two together nicely. Alas, I don't have sand green tiles in the required quantities, so that will have to wait.

Most excellent design! The sand green and blue go together very well which I wouldn't have thought of. I love the rounded tower portion, and your color choices and style really feel like an elegant European hotel. Beautiful modular!

I never thought that color combo would work quite so well, but there it is, working like a charm.

LOVE the entrance and the first floor stairs.

On 10/2/2019 at 6:42 PM, koalayummies said:

Most excellent design! The sand green and blue go together very well which I wouldn't have thought of. I love the rounded tower portion, and your color choices and style really feel like an elegant European hotel. Beautiful modular!

On 10/5/2019 at 5:39 AM, charlesp1138 said:

I never thought that color combo would work quite so well, but there it is, working like a charm.

LOVE the entrance and the first floor stairs.

Thanks!

Tbh, I'm a bit surprised to get so many comments on the color combination - I really didn't think it was that special :laugh:

On 10/5/2019 at 7:57 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful hotel with superlative details :wub:
I like the various rooms of the hotel, in particular my favorite photo is that of the room with the french windows open ...very realistic! :thumbup:

Thanks!

I wish I had been able to get some more good pictures of the interiors, particularly the bathrooms, but this time around I didn't feel like disassembling parts of the model to get better angles for pictures.

Edited by RogerSmith