cptkent

MILS modules with track.

A question that needs some explaining.....

• I am making a layout with MILS modules. Standard sizes (32x32) in a 6x2 grid.
  • I am laying 9V track over this.
  • I can keep the 6 MILS modules fairly loose, just held together with a plate or two, for disassembly when required. It's easier this way for transport / working / etc.
  • But the track, even if it matches at the joints, is difficult to deal with, as they clip together horizontally. I can't just 'lift out a MILS module' seperate from the rest, when it's also tied in horizontally by track.

Is there an easy way to deal with track that overlays MILS modules? How have others dealt with it? How do clubs deal with it?

David

In HispaLUG we normally transport separately the elements (tracks) that overlay the MILS modules.

Hi David,

I would suggest using the standard Technic pin connection on the sides.

Should be easy to separate, even with tracks.

Also, tracks interlock, so you might not even need a pin connection on that side of your MILS module.

Of course, you will still need to slide your modules apart to take them out, but on a 6x2 grid that should not be a big deal.

Brick on,

Richard

Some people cut the end of the track off to make it easily moveable - though not sure this would work with 9v track.

3 hours ago, cptkent said:

A question that needs some explaining.....

• I am making a layout with MILS modules. Standard sizes (32x32) in a 6x2 grid.
  • I am laying 9V track over this.
  • I can keep the 6 MILS modules fairly loose, just held together with a plate or two, for disassembly when required. It's easier this way for transport / working / etc.
  • But the track, even if it matches at the joints, is difficult to deal with, as they clip together horizontally. I can't just 'lift out a MILS module' seperate from the rest, when it's also tied in horizontally by track.

Is there an easy way to deal with track that overlays MILS modules? How have others dealt with it? How do clubs deal with it?

David

Interestingly, I also started the same project of creating 2x6 layout.

The track is separate, on tiles, in all but one module that is the tunnel section.

The LEGO layout is progressing

I also deviated from the MILS standard by placing the tracks with 12 stud spacing. The 16 would have made the layout scenery part too narrow.

I have seen the tracks build into the modules and I have seen them simply attached by a few jumper plates.  When built-in there is tiles employed under the connection for the tracks so they can be clipped together.

1 hour ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I have seen the tracks build into the modules and I have seen them simply attached by a few jumper plates.  When built-in there is tiles employed under the connection for the tracks so they can be clipped together.

Good tip. Didn’t come to my mind when I assembled the layout section the other night.

Thanks everyone for your helpful reply’s - work has had me away for a couple of days.

Richard

6x2 grid was an example - I should have said the actual set is much larger, which creates problems of track length.

Vilhelm 

Even though my track is 9v, I had indeed considered cutting the track ends, perhaps in one or two strategic places around my layout. I’m still considering my options here.

Chromeknight / Roadmonkeytj / dtomsen

Yes I thinks that’s the best solution, it’s annoying but necessary.