Sign in to follow this  
Anders T

Caravel

Caravel 15th century

Not likely to be a pirate ship, but the European overseas empires would not have existed without this ship, and therefore no Caribbean pirates.

The caravel was a small, highly maneuverable ship developed in the 15th century by the Portuguese to explore along the West African coast and into the Atlantic Ocean. The lateen sails gave it speed and the capacity for sailing windward (beating). Caravels were used by the Portuguese and Castilians (Spain) for the oceanic exploration voyages during the 15th and 16th centuries.

With a length of almost 14 m (scaled) the design resembles caravels of the same size as Niña(Santa Clara) and Pinta from the 1492 quest for Asia.

It is in minifig-scale or 1:40’ish.

The model will have the dimensions Length: 40 cm, Height: 45 cm (with stand), Width: 10,5 cm (Beam)

There is approx. 1300 bricks in the model.

In this digital rendering, I have shown both a lateen rigged and square-rigged version.

Caravel8.lxfCaravel8 astern.lxf

Another great ship build of yours!

I especially like the rear hull, but it is an overall awesome MOC, well done. :thumbup:

On 9/22/2019 at 11:27 PM, Darnok said:

Another great ship build of yours!

I especially like the rear hull, but it is an overall awesome MOC, well done. :thumbup:

Thanks

Nice that you notice the difference between the stern and bow, as the techniques used are not at all the same.

On 9/23/2019 at 3:54 AM, Anders T said:

Not likely to be a pirate ship, but the European overseas empires would not have existed without this ship, and therefore no Caribbean pirates.

Yes, indeed this is is true!  So far something different your caravel has been posted on the Classic-Pirates.com social media.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, Mister Phes said:

Yes, indeed this is is true!  So far something different your caravel has been posted on the Classic-Pirates.com social media.

Thanks.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:01 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I would love to see a break down of how this is assembled!

I have to remember to post some pictures when I get around to building it.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:07 PM, masterpt said:

:pir_laugh2:Congrats from a portuguese afol 

Thanks must be quite funny to see one of your national treasures made by some random foreigner.:alien: Hope I am not embarrassingly far away from how it should be.:pir-grin: