Sign in to follow this  
Selander

MOC, WIP, Catenary for rail yards

48774679037_7e95d9037c_b_d.jpg

I made two concepts for rail yard catenary, using roller coaster rails and window frames. This is the primary structure, some more details may be added, to get a more realistic look..... Please let me have some opinions on concepts so far.

The far one with it vertically reminds me of a signal bridge. Catenary is normally fairly thin up top, would a length of flex tube be more suitable?

The further one looks good from this angle, but I suspect it's too thin side-on. The near one looks a lot sturdier, and probably offers more options for hanging things from. I presume you tried it, but could you use the rollercoaster pieces to replace the stack of window frames on the closer design?

Both are ingenious catenary/signal gantry designs, and should look great with further detailing.

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

The further one looks good from this angle, but I suspect it's too thin side-on. The near one looks a lot sturdier, and probably offers more options for hanging things from. I presume you tried it, but could you use the rollercoaster pieces to replace the stack of window frames on the closer design?

Both are ingenious catenary/signal gantry designs, and should look great with further detailing.

I also think the near one is a better design for a couple of reasons. It is easier to change height, simply add or remove window frames. It is easier to hang things in. And the overall proportions are more in balance.

Did anyone notice the whole (near version again) structure is built studs facing downwards? Why? Because rails are very slightly "arched" (happy smile) so when I assembled 2-3pcs studs up gravity makes an event bigger "smile". By flipping the structure upside-down, gravity compensates the arch effect, making it look more stable and optically closer to horisontal.

Not sure about those - while I really like the idea and am all for unusual part usages I can't but think they are a little bit too chunky. Right now I don't know of a better (and sturdy) way to build one though.

Regarding overhead lines in general I did some try with the new zip lines from Lego some time ago which works with the pantograph actually touching the lines

Have a look in thisvideo if you're interested:

46435851972_efe93df342_c.jpg"working" overhead line by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Edited by ScotNick

12 hours ago, Selander said:

Did anyone notice the whole (near version again) structure is built studs facing downwards?

Actually I had noticed that the roller coster track was upside down and saw the 1x technic plates but stupid me did not make the final jump to "that's upside down" (grin)

I assume you are not going to actually string "wire" for the overhead lines. It still might be interesting to add a few gray 1x1 rounds on a 1x1 tile with clip to simulate insulators hanging down from the cross beam.

Thanks to comments and proposals. These concept structures are only for a rail yard environment. Along the line it is no doubt catenary like ScotNick proposed are right choice. 

I do not plan to run any "wire" along the tracks, but I do have plans to add some details to simulate the bars and stuff that hold the wire in position. These details will be attached to the horisontal part of the structure.

I add a photo taken 45 deg angled, which gives a better picture of what these concepts look like right now.

48781765717_f1e734573c_b_d.jpg

Edited by Selander
Added photo

On 9/23/2019 at 9:13 AM, Selander said:

I add a photo taken 45 deg angled, which gives a better picture of what these concepts look like right now.

so from this angle I can say I like neither ... What I mean is I like the windows to create the ladder look on the tower ... Its thinner width wise but looks stronger.  I do not like the rollercoaster laying flat ... While it is wornderful snot application I just feel as if its too wide for wire hanging.  I like the suggestion of just running a single tube accross.  But perhaps this may change with the addition of insulators.  Its just right now to me it looks too bulky.  As far as the vertical track ... I really like the look of this (although not the side track supports).  However I do feel that there should be signals or signage hung from these as part of a busy urban area then sparcely used elsewhere (unless signals need hung).  I feel that it has the right depth with a standing vertical but too much height if a signal is not hung from it.  

Again this is just my personal opinion ... That and 5 bucks still wont get you a black coffee at Starbucks.

However what does intrigue me the most is how you have constructed the front of your tram ... I would love to see a how to photo of it.  I also enjoy the little details all over the top and sides of the tram.  It takes a boring utilitarian design and maked the eye pick up on things.