Marxpek

[MOC] RC Ripsaw EV1, 8 buggy motors and 4 BuWizz

This is my attempt at building a proper and most importantly; fun to drive ripsaw with somewhat realistic performance. The 8 buggy motors and 4 BuWizz seem to do the trick..

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

I tried to replicate as much as i could from the original design, obviously the drive-train works differently; the real EV1 has 1 motor with a clutch system in the rear differential to power the tracks from the rear alone, which i did try to replicate by adding the fake V8 and rear diff, which does function, but i disconnect it most of the time while drive outside because it has a habit of getting jammed by leaves, rocks and twigs, the gears used to connect to the fake V8 are all exposed. Here the sprockets are powered in the front and rear and each is connected directly to the slower output of 2 buggy motors, giving this thing crazy speed and torque.

The suspension is set up like the real EV1 and works fine, but does require a track tension system, the real thing has a suspended front sprocket to keep tension on the tracks, in this case it would mean loosely suspended buggy motors, an idea i did not like and did not try, yet. I am using a simple lever, spring and wheels to keep tension on the track but it works fine and looks ok.

For the body i tried to capture the look and feel of the real thing, using as little as possible panels and using beams for the boxy look with just the exposed framework seemed the right thing to do, i am sure it is filled with illegal connections, i go by the rule: "if it fits without force, it fits". The body is surprisingly solid, it can be lifted from several positions and it can take some abuse from driving, and abused it, i have.. The are 2 seat for Technic figures and the electrical wiring functions nicely as a seat-belt for them. I have added 2 sets of LED's on the top bar, i do not think the real EV1 had that, but it seemed the most "natural" position to me and it works nicely since they are aimed down a bit.

And here you can see it in action! please leave a like if you can and help out my tiny channel:

I hope you like it!

wow and I thought 8 xl was a lot, I surprised you need 8 with no gearing to the tracks - how much does it suffer with "only" 4.

God Save the Overkill. First i have seen 4 Buggy motors and thought " this has the chance to be fast". Then i readed 8 Buggys and 4 Buwizz ........

Great fun.  I bet this was a blast to build and drive.  Thxs for sharing.  I especially like the grass-clipping mode (pilot view and you can see clippings going everywhere)

It is funny though, given the recent conversation about how 42099's hubs supposedly are "damaged" too quickly.  This is just another piece of evidence on how AFOLs use Lego for purposes other than what they were intended for.  Fair enough, I do the same thing... but we shouldn't complain if parts get broken. 

The new series of a "Pimp my ride" went really extreme)) it's very impressive, no words. The community definitely need this-like models and builders like you!

OK this is seriously cool. I want to build one. 'Here the sprockets are powered in ...slower output of 2 buggy motors, giving this thing crazy speed and torque." I love this concept!  Can this be built with 4 buggy motors and 2 buwizz?  Are there more pictures or even building instructions?

Pardon me, but what is EV1? Nevermind, I got it now.

Edited by 1963maniac

:oh:

I thought having 2 buggy motors was a lot

Edited by SNIPE

WOW... No wonder that the buggy motors are hard to find/expencive... Great build. How well can the LEGO frame withstand all the beating?

This. Is. Crazy! In a very good (and expensive) way :grin:. Seems like a lot of fun!

Is it just me, or does the chassis inside the treads seem a bit bent upwards in the middle?

Edited by MajklSpajkl

On 9/22/2019 at 10:44 AM, Marxpek said:

This is my attempt at building a proper and most importantly; fun to drive ripsaw with somewhat realistic performance. The 8 buggy motors and 4 BuWizz seem to do the trick.

[...]

And here you can see it in action! please leave a like if you can and help out my tiny channel:

[...]

I hope you like it!

Wow, awesome machine! Your track selection for the video is also cool. At first I thought this might be from Carpenter Brut, but then saw the actual artist - SPACEINVADER - in the description. Never heard of, but will surely check that one out. :classic:

Thanks all, glad you like it!

On 9/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, Aerolight said:

how much does it suffer with "only" 4.

I wouldn't know, i started out with 8 motors, the point was to have torque to spare, always, but 4 might be fun to drive as well. but:

On 9/23/2019 at 12:27 AM, 1963maniac said:

Can this be built with 4 buggy motors and 2 buwizz?  Are there more pictures or even building instructions?

Pardon me, but what is EV1? Nevermind, I got it now.

Yes this could easily be built with 4 motors, just replace the front motors and build some bracket for the sprockets in stead, I have no idea about the power left then, i will soon try to run it on just 4 motors and 2 buwizz (with the extra motors as drag) and see what happens. There are not a lot more picture at the moment, when i have a bit more time on my hands i make some and post them here. No building instructions at the moment, maybe if the demand is high and i have a good 4 motor conversion. If someone else is curious what "EV1"  stands for: Extreme Vehicle One. All i could find on the EV1 where some old videos and this from renderhub, it was my main lead in the build actually: https://www.renderhub.com/dmitriykotliar/ripsaw-ev1

On 9/23/2019 at 11:50 AM, Kio Liex said:

Great build. How well can the LEGO frame withstand all the beating?

The frame holds fine, in some rare occasions the front wedge can get a bit loose (check the end of the video driving off a high curb, front comes loose there), In the video you see it fall off a steep slope, just minor damage. The tracks are the biggest issue, when they get dirty they do not run as smoothly and then they sometimes run off the sprocket, or even break open. Also sharp turns at high speed with some good grip might pull off the tracks as well.

On 9/23/2019 at 1:12 PM, MajklSpajkl said:

This. Is. Crazy! In a very good (and expensive) way :grin:. Seems like a lot of fun!

Is it just me, or does the chassis inside the treads seem a bit bent upwards in the middle?

You are right in a way, but It is not the middle bending up, it's the outsides of the frame with the buggy motors that are getting pulled down a bit by the tracks, honestly, it could use a bit more reinforcement which i might do, but it never gave issues.

Again, thanks, I'll be back with more detailed pictures and a update on 4 motor drive soon, hopefully.

Wow, that's a budget of small african country?

That's one cool-looking tracked-racer! Also I really like the look of the SSR1-EV3, I'm tempted to try to build that one..

So i found some time to take some detailed pictures (yet i didn't find the time to clean up the ripsaw, so please ignore the sand...)

800x450.jpg 800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg 800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg 800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg 800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg 800x450.jpg 

800x450.jpg

I have also tried to run this with just 4 motors (while leaving the other 4 in the setup) the motors struggled to a bit, i think the drag from the other 4 idle motors is a bit too much, i will have to do a decent conversion before a can say anything useful about a 4 motor version.

I will update this later.

Hello!
I've liked this car for a long time, but I'm so stupid that I can't assemble it!
Do you have instructions for this?
Thank you! Waiting for your reply!

For this, I specially registered this website!

@Marxpek

Hello.

This Ripsaw is awsome. 

I have a question. I've build a tracked vehicle with two buggy motors and one BuWizz. 

As you commented in your youtube video comments, it is not possible to drive in ludicrous mode with 2 x Buggymotors and 1 x Buwizz in lud mode, but fast mode works with 2:1 ratio.

I tried it in fast mode, but the BuWizz disconnects in fast mode too. Also the red lights turn on after short time.

My Moc is not as big as yours. 

Have you any ideas, why this happens? Did you have the same problem?

Greetings ktb

Edited by KenoTomBrook

Great job! What is the current limit of 1 BuWizz ? Is it 2.8 A like EV3 ?

Edited by Aris