Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 20. Rumors and discussion

I know licensed series are a controversial topic for some CMF fans but honestly I’m really glad they are a thing - imagine if there were 3 series like this every year where it was all a bit meh and there was nothing that really make them stand out. At least licensed CMFs bolster excitement, even if it’s for a smaller part of the Lego fan base. 

46 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I know licensed series are a controversial topic for some CMF fans but honestly I’m really glad they are a thing - imagine if there were 3 series like this every year where it was all a bit meh and there was nothing that really make them stand out. At least licensed CMFs bolster excitement, even if it’s for a smaller part of the Lego fan base. 

I'd be happy if they were all like this. As a Castle and Pirates fan, and Classic themes in general, this is a rare outlet for new figures.

Compare that to the recent DC line, with absolutely nothing of interest except for that inner need to 'complete' my collection, then I know what I'd choose.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Two pieces just leaked on IG: the pea-in-a-pod costume piece and the Hip-Hop girl’s hair :classic: That hair-hat combo mould is ace :thumbup:

Ace indeed! I wasn’t sure i would be interested, but if it’s a b-girl being busy doing an up-rock in a sweat suit, i need it. 

3 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Or they could really screw with us and give us Pink, Yellow, Black and White brick costume people 

I think if we are only now getting one regular series a year, any future recolours of the brick costume should be made via Build-A-Minifig in stores. I'm not saying they shouldn't be done but it would take the place of something much better.

I echo the comments above about some of the figures being worth the amount we are charged for them if they do not offer anything new or commonly available. I would also love to see the return of 3 regular series a year. Each series should include something to please the castle fans, space fans, costume fans, sports fans, music fans, etc. The licensed sets are often of zero interest to me.

This series is good for a regular CMF, but very dissapoiting as a series 20, 10th anniversary. No special rare minifigure like Mrs Gold. Too bad Lego decided not to do something special for this series.

Looking back at the past few ‘normal’ series, they have all followed a similar pattern ; roughly three costumed figures, about five ‘special theme figures’ (castle, pirate, fantasy, space, history) and the rest are effectively contemporary or City characters.

so when it comes down to it it’s the strength of the individual figures that makes the difference series to series for people. 

4 hours ago, Mattah12 said:

Looks like pics of the pea-pod suit and hip hop girl have leaked also. I'm liking the new hat.hair piece, it immediately makes me think of Matt Riddle if anyone follows wrestling.

It is a pretty nice part now that I see it, but given the archetype, I feel like an exclusive recolor of Parker's beanie/ponytail combo would've done the job just fine.

4 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

If there were still three non-licensed CMS being released a year rather than just one, I could've potentially had an Aviatrix, a generic Zorro, a female counterpart to Series 17's Retro Spaceman, a Sky Pirate, a Private Detective, an Archaeologist, and too many long-desired archetypes a whole lot sooner... :tongue:

The CMF Series used to open huge doors to building new eras or archetypes (Zombies, Spartans, Romans, Egyptians, Elves, Dwarves, Valkyries, Caveman, Gnome, Hazmat, Aztecs, Conquistador, Galaxy Squad, Amazon, Native American, American Revolution, Hun, Space Miner, Goblin, Mariachi/Mexican, Middle Eastern, Golden-age Spaceman, Gladiators) through series 17 in May of 2017.  Since then, we have had one normal series out of 8 releases, (with just the Monkeyking and Blacktron update). And now this series has nothing new (other than maybe the power ranger). 

I do like the variety of the new city characters that are released with each CMF, as well as the new sports teams you can create to populate a stadium, but those just slightly enhance my City builds.

The historic/space/fantasy figs that are army-builders open the door to build in new eras or with new fantastical races or beings and essentially grant NEW THEMES!

The costume characters are likewise one-offs that have very little impact to my builds, even if they are really well done or hilarious.

To me, It's all about the impact figures will have on opening up new avenues to build in.  I want to be able to build in different time periods, different cultures, different Themes, which the CMF line used to facilitate. That"s why I put so much weight on each normal CMF series release.

I confess to being pretty disappointed in this lineup, especially for a milestone like this. Maybe I'll feel better about it when I get to see them, but for now it's pretty lackluster.

At the very least, you know what they should have done? 20 separate figures. There is ample precedent for going beyond the typical 16, and it would have been both appropriately special and thematic.

An image of the Nunchaku Guy has surfaced. Mild grimace face print with a black geometric design on a white headband. The hair looks to be a good match for the Karate Kid (original movie). The nunchaku appears to have handles shorter than a 3L bar.

Edited by gedren_y

46 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

An image of the Nunchaku Guy has surfaced. Mild grimace face print with a black geometric design on a white headband. The hair looks to be a good match for the Karate Kid (original movie). The nunchaku appears to have handles shorter than a 3L bar.

I have to agree with the one comment on Instagram,  in that it looks like a run-of-the-mill Ninjago training figure.

46 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

The hair looks like Flitwick’s hair recolored black. It is a good fit though. 

3 hours ago, Megbricks said:

Anyone remembers, ten years ago, how many series were out per year? For some reason it feels that there were more than 3?

Ten years ago, there were actually only two series (because Series 1 came out in spring, which has been the release for the second series of the year in each year since). But the regular pattern has always been three series per year, the only exceptions being limited-release series like the 2012 Olympics or 2016 DFB ones.

1 hour ago, tafkatb said:

...the only exceptions being limited-release series like the 2012 Olympics or 2016 DFB ones.

This 4-year timeline got me thinking if we’ll get another LE series this year? Or is too late to have heard about this already given the EURO 20 football (soccer) tournament starts in June?

13 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I agree however I would like to see Lego experiment doing 1 licensed and 2 regular.

8 hours ago, gedren_y said:

An image of the Nunchaku Guy has surfaced. Mild grimace face print with a black geometric design on a white headband.

I believe that "geometric design" is supposed to be a 2x2 brick on its side, and it's also on his robe.

8 hours ago, tafkatb said:

Ten years ago, there were actually only two series (because Series 1 came out in spring, which has been the release for the second series of the year in each year since). But the regular pattern has always been three series per year, the only exceptions being limited-release series like the 2012 Olympics or 2016 DFB ones.

Thanks. I wasn’t that much into lego so time probably flew by fast and I had the feeling there was always new series coming out. 

The Nunchaku Guy seems interesting. Like the hair recolor and a new nunchaku piece. I hope he gets two of them!

6 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I agree however I would like to see Lego experiment doing 1 licensed and 2 regular.

This is a personal ideal for me, but a nice middle ground could be alternating between licensed and regular, so one year has R-L-R and the following would be L-R-L, possibly allowing themeing in both based on seasons, like we’ve seen in some regular series.

Edited by telaruhn

22 minutes ago, telaruhn said:

This is a personal ideal for me, but a nice middle ground could be alternating between licensed and regular, so one year has R-L-R and the following would be L-R-L, possibly allowing themeing in both based on seasons, like we’ve seen in some regular series.

I second that, I miss it when the cmfs did seasonal figures more often. I would love to see some not-so-well-known holidays be represented. 

Im surprised they didnt make that one a woman, considering it would be a female counterpart for the S2 Karate Master

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Im surprised they didnt make that one a woman, considering it would be a female counterpart for the S2 Karate Master

Probably to make it look like karate kid, and people would want it for that