Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 20. Rumors and discussion

7 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Number 9 will probably known as a “Sentai”

That would be amazing if so!

This may change when I see pictures, but Pea Pod Costume, Knight, Female Pirate, Rocket Fan Girl, Llama Costume, Viking, Red Ranger, Karate Guy (especially if he has nunchaku as per an earlier post) and Green Brick Guy are all a massive yes from me!

The rest are either a pass or maybe depending on how it looks.

From the looks of it, I'm guessing the Green Brick Suit guy is this Series' commemorative CMF honoring the theme's tenth anniversary? :thumbdown: :def_shrug:

Having mulled over the offerings for a little while now, I suppose it's not all that bad? I'll likely be reserving final judgment for when the first images hit the web, but to me it just doesn't sound like much over an improvement over Series 19 looking at it as a whole. As for the individual CMF though, that Viking and Pirate Woman do sound kinda cool, and I suppose the "Red Ranger" and "Rocket Girl" will be of some degree of interest to Sci-Fi fans. Come to think of it, the "Red Ranger" could be thought of as the theme's first-ever instance of Manga/Anime representation, something I've always wanted to see from a future Series, ideally envisioned in the form of a Mecha Pilot CMF as a homage to Lego's Exo-Force theme. :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, danth said:

So about this Rocket fan girl...

Any more details on her hat and torso? Is the Space logo on her hat Classic Space? 

I likewise had the same thought when I read "Red Space Baseball Cap"... :oh:

Hmmmmm, I gotta say, not really excited about how a lot of these figures *sound* but my mind could change when I see the final products. It feels really lackluster overall. I know some of you are excited for it, but another figure in that brick suit is especially not something I'm looking forward to as I wasn't a fan of them. It was a spot that could have been used for something new and interesting, and instead they went with another rehash.  But again, final judgment will be reserved for when the photos start to pop up.

Aside from the Mr Gold debacle 7 years ago, they already had the limited minifig commemorative thing with the original 1978 policeman back in series 18, so I'm relieved they're never going down that chase route again.

But still, a green brick suit guy - essentially a recolour with basic print - is lacking a bit in imagination IMO. At least the "mystery" concept (highwayman minifig from series 17) might have whipped up some interest. 

20th anniversary is symbolised by "china" (as in porcelain not the country LEGO marketing seems obsessed with these days) or alternatively platinum - so personally I'd have liked to see a basic or even blank metallic silver chrome minfig and for the bags to be silver in colour too.

17 minutes ago, DarrellBricker said:

Hmmmmm, I gotta say, not really excited about how a lot of these figures *sound* but my mind could change when I see the final products. It feels really lackluster overall. I know some of you are excited for it, but another figure in that brick suit is especially not something I'm looking forward to as I wasn't a fan of them. It was a spot that could have been used for something new and interesting, and instead they went with another rehash.  But again, final judgment will be reserved for when the photos start to pop up.

Glad I'm not the only one. Between me and the kids, there's been a noticeable drop off in buying the last few years. Whereas certain series were all must haves (the Monster series from 2015 springs to mind) we've dropped down to maybe 12 of 16, then 10, 6, and more recently 3 or 4 of the best. And that's on top of swerving some licensed series completely like Harry Potter,  Disney 2.0 etc.

Which is shame but goes to show it's hard to keep the ideas fresh (despite some interesting custom ideas from EB'ers here) and it may be time for the theme to end before too long. When even licensed series are an easy pass (the current DC series being the worst) its possible LEGO may want to rethink. Prices are creeping up (no longer impulse purchases) as interest is dwindling, and that's really not a commercially sustainable scenario.

Edited by Lucarex

Agree about Green Brick Guy. Doesnt make sense that the anniversary figure for this theme is a rehash...  

And its $5, lets not forget. 

$5 for a recolor of a character we got 2 years ago at $4

What are they thinking? :sceptic:

2 hours ago, pawcanada said:

That would be amazing if so!

I believe so, from my understanding Power Ranger is a commercial name of Sentai Warrior. Similarly with Jacuzzis and Hot Tubs respectively.

41 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Agree about Green Brick Guy. Doesnt make sense that the anniversary figure for this theme is a rehash...  

And its $5, lets not forget. 

$5 for a recolor of a character we got 2 years ago at $4

What are they thinking? :sceptic:

There will also be one minifigure that doesn’t quite have as much as the rest, like what else could you give a brick costume?

Edited by Anonknee Muss

I am very excited about this series. I'm a fan of medieval Lego, and depending on how the actual print looks like the Knight, Female Pirate and Viking can all be a-go. In fact, it would be the first time since the series 16 Rogue a full four years ago that I buy a CMF.

1 hour ago, DarrellBricker said:

I know some of you are excited for it, but another figure in that brick suit is especially not something I'm looking forward to as I wasn't a fan of them. It was a spot that could have been used for something new and interesting, and instead they went with another rehash.

Well, I think that can be said for nearly all "costumed" CMF entries... :sadnew:

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Which is shame but goes to show it's hard to keep the ideas fresh (despite some interesting custom ideas from EB'ers here) and it may be time for the theme to end before too long. 

I think you contradict yourself here. How's it hard for Lego to cook-up fresh ideas for further CMF archetypes when @Robert8's work alone proves otherwise? :wacko:

Just now, Itaria No Shintaku said:

The rocket girl has a LL 928 on her shirt, or so it seems to me.

Huh, like an overhead view of the ship or one from the same angled perspective as the set's box art? :shrug_confused:

928-1.jpg?200706300823

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I think that can be said for nearly all "costumed" CMF entries... :sadnew:

It can be said for literally every CMF, can't it? "I don't care for [x subgenre], therefore every [x subgenre] minifig they release is a waste of a slot that could have gone to something I like better."

Just now, tafkatb said:

It can be said for literally every CMF, can't it? "I don't care for [x subgenre], therefore every [x subgenre] minifig they release is a waste of a slot that could have gone to something I like better."

I like costumes but at this point the Green Brick Guy could have like a promotional figure or be included in a LEGO store vignette set or something, instead of taking a CMF spot

1 minute ago, tafkatb said:

There’s a special case though for the costumes... popular and funny for 2 seconds but then useless for basically every purpose after that. For my projects I almost always use a couple costumes that are my favorite, and that’s if I need one at all. 
Personal preference aside, the costumes are mainly in their for the target audience of lego, more casual, and I respect that, but a pea pod and llama are starting to get very specific and weird, and at this point it would be better for almost everyone to have better minifigures in their place. 

6 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

Well, I may not a fan of modernistic "City" archetypes in the Collectable Minifigure theme for particular reasons, but at least they fill some kind of occupational purpose, whereas "costumed" archetypes on the other hand just seem no better than as a throwaway gag. :sceptic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

13 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think you contradict yourself here. How's it hard for Lego to cook-up fresh ideas for further CMF archetypes when @Robert8's work alone proves otherwise? :wacko:

I wouldnt use my drawings as reference because the process is very different. I do pretty much what I want. TLG cant do that. They are limited by budget and such. 

Who knows, maybe they try different stuff but only city characters test well with children so thats what they produce

6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Who knows, maybe they try different stuff but only city characters test well with children so thats what they produce

Fair enough possibility, but I just don't see why they couldn't start giving all "City" archetypes from now on a "vintage" twist, making them more period-specific to recent decades past such as the '60s and the '80s as so not to overlap with the City theme. 

40 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

They are limited by budget and such.

They better get on your level if they expect $5 for the damn things.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Not a contradiction, just simply acknowledging that the likes of Robert (exactly who I was thinking of) can come come up with creative ideas that LEGO either can’t or (more likely) don’t seem willing to for whatever reason. 

59 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I wouldnt use my drawings as reference because the process is very different. I do pretty much what I want. TLG cant do that. They are limited by budget and such. 

I think that’s exactly the problem - combination of budget restrictions on new molds and recolours, and kids in market research focus groups. 

Sadly, S20 sounds like a disappointment on the order of S19... And S19, to me, was the worst series probably since S10.

To echo what others have said, considering we only get one regular series now, it sucks that Lego is choosing to focus the selection so much on City. I actually liked S18, but this means that the last time we had a solid, regular diverse series was in 2017 with S17. Add to that the price increase, and it's icing on the cake...

I became a fan with S1, and I have been collecting for a decade now. However, this theme is starting to veer off from what made me fall in love with it: a varied set of characters that diversified my minifigure collection. If this is going to become a City subtheme, I will be very disappointed and might stop collecting altogether.

Edited by BrickHat

At $5 a piece, I expect a new mold for every figure. Especially for non-licensed. 150% price increase since Series 1 is ridiculous, regardless of inflation or a couple new molds.

The series is lackluster, due to it's complete lack of adding variety to the Lego world. The unique niche city characters are just fine (pinata, hip hop, rocket, pajamas, drone), the llama is extremely  topical right now with Fortnite being so popular, and the peapod is fine. The sea turtle is better than another cat or dog. The female swashbuckler is overdue, but is not an army builder.  The Knight is the only potential army builder unless the Viking turns out to have separate helmet/beard.

No new historical eras at all (I don't count 80s),  no new city professions represented, no exciting new molds. Only one army builder. And $5 a piece (I assume)

And now we wait another year ?️

The other problem with City characters is that they will end up reappering in City sets. The S19 Fire Fighter was recolored for a City set.

I bet the drone wiill reappear in a Fun at ??? City pack sooner or latter. So why waste a spot in the CMF for that? 

45 minutes ago, Rogue Angel said:

At $5 a piece, I expect a new mold for every figure. Especially for non-licensed. 150% price increase since Series 1 is ridiculous, regardless of inflation or a couple new molds.

The price is a deal breaker this time around

For example the Pajamas Girl comes with 5 pieces: hairpiece+head+torso+short legs+bunny. And its $5. She has less pieces than any of the DC CMFs. And without the licensing fee. For $5 I would have expected at least a fairytales book or something 

But the worst offender has to be Green Piece Dude. $5 for recoloring a S18 character, with only 5 pieces and no new molds. Again, less than any of the DC characters

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but GO GO POWER RANGERS! :laugh:

Now for the next 6 series, we need Pink, Yellow, Blue, Black, Green & White!

I kid, I kid. But only slightly.

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but GO GO POWER RANGERS! :laugh:

Now for the next 6 series, we need Pink, Yellow, Blue, Black, Green & White!

I kid, I kid. But only slightly.

Or they could really screw with us and give us Pink, Yellow, Black and White brick costume people 

Everyone's so incensed, but I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief - the rumors of a second Mr Gold style chase rare were extremely distressing, and it's a massively pleasant surprise for me that they were false. Give me a nice, boring, normal series - there should never be another Mr Gold, it was a disaster back in Series 10 and that was before LEGO obsession was even a tenth of the fever pitch it is now - I can only imagine how vicious the scalpers and the hunters would be with such a chase rare. 1/60 is fine, should never be more than that. Figures sound alright, nothing special but non-licensed series are generally just fun side fare IMO - I'll still buy them all, but it's the licensed series where the figure choices matter most. 

The only figure that piques my interest so far is the Sentai, but of a soft spot for me and I always thought that would be a good licence for Lego to pursue.

Looks like pics of the pea-pod suit and hip hop girl have leaked also. I'm liking the new hat.hair piece, it immediately makes me think of Matt Riddle if anyone follows wrestling.