Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 20. Rumors and discussion

The DC CMF will be $5 

I hope the price will go back to normal for Series 20.....

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

The DC CMF will be $5 

Geez, that's nuts. I only buy CMFs on occasion, usually to get parts for customizing characters, and was able to hold my nose on the $4 price tag. $5 is just a bridge too far, unless, I dunno, they start including some small construction component. At that point though, it basically would become a polybag with more emphasis on the minifig.

I'll stick to one of each character for regular series and 0 licensed CMF from now on, because I agree: $5 is a step too far

I think they're at their limit now, and putting the price up any higher will be a good excuse to stop collecting these things.

If they go £4 in the UK, I am out; unless I can get them on sale at some point.

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I'll stick to one of each character for regular series and 0 licensed CMF from now on, because I agree: $5 is a step too far

I will get the WW ones and probably several of regular ones with new animals, but probably nothing else unless I get them cheaper (if they increase the price to 50 NOK as well :cry2:)..
Most of the parts will end up in BAM towers so we can buy them there later for a much better price :tongue:

In EU they will remain at €4 meaning that they will be cheaper than the US for the first time ever. (€4 = $4,39).

$4,50 would have been a fair price, but $5 I think that they will raise up to €5 eventually.

Still, I can cope with the fact that 

41Izsn4BOkL._SY450_.jpg

and
LEGO-Minfigures-Series-19-BMX-Rider_753x

ther first costing half the second seems pretty legit to me.

10 hours ago, leafan said:

I think they're at their limit now, and putting the price up any higher will be a good excuse to stop collecting these things.

If they go £4 in the UK, I am out; unless I can get them on sale at some point.

Lots of stores seem to have boxes of TLM2, Disney2, Series 19, sitting unsold at £3. If they go to £4, then I imagine fewer stores will stock them.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:52 AM, MAB said:

Lots of stores seem to have boxes of TLM2, Disney2, Series 19, sitting unsold at £3. If they go to £4, then I imagine fewer stores will stock them.

The secondary market for these things is quite good. I can usually pick up most of a given series, sealed in the bag, for less than the £3 retail cost.

Only the sought-after figures stay the same or have the cost inflated.

Just now, leafan said:

The secondary market for these things is quite good. I can usually pick up most of a given series, sealed in the bag, for less than the £3 retail cost.

Only the sought-after figures stay the same or have the cost inflated.

Yes, same here. Although gone are the days when you used to be able to get them frequently at £1.00-1.20 (thanks to the old WHSmiths privilege club) and occasionally at about 50p a pack on clearance.

On October 7, 2019 at 5:51 PM, Robert8 said:

The DC CMF will be $5 

This is absurd!!! Next thing we know, Lego will be bumping the price up to $6...:angry:

Edited by JJBricker

Maybe they are bumping the price up so we can get a centaur!

and as long as each figure has top quality printing all around, dual-molding, extra parts and at least one new piece I would be fine spending $5 on one pack

Just now, leafan said:

So where does this rumour of a price increase come from anyway?

A lot of the reputable leakers who first revealed the DC series have stated that it is going to be $5, and it's unlikely that it'll go down from there.

3 hours ago, 1Panda said:

and as long as each figure has top quality printing all around, dual-molding, extra parts and at least one new piece I would be fine spending $5 on one pack

This would be the perfect opportunity for my dream minifigure - a sousaphone player. Still bummed that the prices could go up, especially as someone who doesn’t have lego as a primary focus. 

The pics of the DC series are a bummer so far.  Can't really use the torsos for medieval much, and I don't know half the characters.  Maybe I can use the leopard print lady in a fetishist brothel or something, but, especially at $5 per, I am less than enthusiastic.

9 hours ago, 1Panda said:

We could get one for 4€ already. The Satyr from Series 15 was 3€ with 2 exclusive moulds at that time. Only Stranger Things and Gremlins reused the legs.

The Dragon has two extremely specific moulds that will likely stay exclusive if there won't be a recolored version like the blue unicorn. On top of that tons of printing. 4€.

The biker from series 19 included dual moulded arms and legs, a new bike and hairpiece for 4€. We can ignore the exclusivity at the moment because the bike and hairpiece will be reused again and again in the city theme for sure. But it shows how much plastic you can put in a bag.

A centaur needs just one new part: a hip piece, that is compatible with a horse body the same way the neck of a normal horse head is. He doesn't require more than this one simple mould, even i could easily design in a 3D programm by combining the horse neck with a regular hip piece. The only problem for a private customiser is that you can't separate the horse head from the figure without destroying the body. Otherwise i wouldn't need Lego. The new mould could even be reused for Harry Potter. No dual moulding is required. More than 4€ is just greed.

Edited by Gorilla94
Autocorrection ruins posts so much -.-'

24 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

The new mould could even be reused for Harry Potter.

We most likely will get a centaur sometime in the future, but it is almost guaranteed it will show up in Harry Potter (or FB) before anywhere else :wink:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

We most likely will get a centaur sometime in the future, but it is almost guaranteed it will show up in Harry Potter (or FB) before anywhere else :wink:

I think that, too. If the theme continues, one of the scene with centaurs in the forbidden forest  would be a decent little set appealing to non Potter-Fans as well. Was the centaur teacher in the movies? ?

I have 3 problems with the cmf picing.

The first is that non licences ones should be significantly cheaper. That they cost the same shows that there is no thought about "how much money is required for good quality figures? Ok, Disney wants that much. We have to increase the price to give our customers a good product while still earning enough money" behind the price tag. It's just "how much more can we squeeze out of the consumers per bag before they completely stop buying?". And this becomes even more offending combined with the second thing.

The second thing is the kind of new moulds. Dragon suit guy with great exclusive pieces so specific that they are useless for any other figure is one of the few figures that are worth the 4€ to me. I see they are putting a lot of effort into this figure (even if it's not so much per figure thinking about how many of each one is sold) and they have to make the profit they want (even if it's really much profit... Disney series one showed there is enough profit in 3€ even with highly non reusable moulds and costs of the Disney licence) with this one Cmf line instead of reusing a new hair piece over and over for years. But in general it seems to me that the cmf line is - while still wearing the allways increasing price tag for special figure parts - more and more abused to finance just most of the new moulds lego would do anyways for the regular sets. An extreme example is the hair-helmet- combination from series 19. The police woman got her even printed hat-hair-combination in a set. Ignore all the new pieces the Harry Potter series introduced and compare the amount of new moulds in the Lotr-Sets with the ones in new Potter sets. With nearly every piece reused except for Hermoines and Dumbledores hatless hair, the sorting hat and Hagrid they are probably more expensive compared to what Lego invests in the beginning.

The third one is decreasing quality. It gets better again, but when the production was moved to China, the quality became worse than many knockoffs. I have a Catman that can't even stand because his legs are so loose.

Edited by Gorilla94

34 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

?

The first is that non licences ones should be significantly cheaper. That they cost the same shows that there is no thought about "how much money is required for good quality figures? Ok, Disney wants that much. We have to increase the price to give our customers a good product while still earning enough money" behind the price tag. It's just "how much more can we squeeze out of the consumers per bag before they completely stop buying?". And this becomes even more offending combined with the second thing.

Isn't that what all luxury goods companies do? They charge as much as they can for their product whilst still ensuring they get decent sales figures to maximise their profit overall.

36 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

The second thing is the kind of new moulds. Dragon suit guy with great exclusive pieces so specific that they are useless for any other figure is one of the few figures that are worth the 4€ to me. I see they are putting a lot of effort into this figure (even if it's not so much per figure thinking about how many of each one is sold) ..

There were two new pieces in Dragon Suit guy so not really that different to many CMFs. The tail might get used again if they do another lizard like character, although they have also never reused the lizard man headgear and tail either.

I think one of the key things for CMFs is that they are easy to discount in different ways. Some retailers do "buy 5, get one free", some do "3 for 2", some do stamps on a loyalty card, some will sell off at 50% after the initial rush. So when setting the price, I imagine LEGO take this into account. They probably know some people will buy at $5, others that don't want to pay as much can wait and buy when reduced.

2 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

The Satyr from Series 15 was 3€ with 2 exclusive moulds at that time.

Hairpiece, right leg and left leg

6 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

The Satyr from Series 15 was 3€ with 2 exclusive moulds at that time. Only Stranger Things and Gremlins reused the legs.

The Flying Monkeys from TLBM used them as well.

6 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

The biker from series 19 included dual moulded arms and legs, a new bike and hairpiece for 4€.

That bike mold debuted in the Outdoor Adventures people pack.

In Italy (and Europe I think) both the DC Comics Series and the Anniversary Series (20) will cost €4 and not €5.

That makes $4,50 which will, for the first time, make the european market cheaper than the american on anything.
Frankly, as an european I always felt it to be a lot unfair that if something costed $99 you would have paid €99 for it, which is actually 109$ or the like.

I still don't know for WW2 series (which isn't a good acronym lol)