Sign in to follow this  
Appie

[MOC] F1 car 2019 spec in Red Bull colour scheme, 1:8 scale

So here's the latest project I have been working on. I am actually waiting for 5 parts to arrive (4 tiles on the "boomerang" at the bargeboards and the exhaust in flat silver instead of LBG), but otherwise it is finished. I tried to recreate a F1 car with 2019 specfications with "typical" Red Bull stuff in mind (rake and pullrod in the rear for example). I took some liberty here and there. All the freaking winglets on these cars in real life+Technic=meh. So I went for a pretty basic flow of panels and wings. Another reason I also took some liberty was because trying to find blueprints or other good images for size reference of the 2019 or even 2018 cars were hard to come by for any of the teams. Or I just suck at searching, but I'd find it understandable if it is actually hard to find, since teams wouldn't want that stuff public.

48768767903_6a5b1e7d31_b.jpg20190921_135837 by Appie NL, on Flickr

Functions are:

- 8 speed gearbox (used didumos' and JB70's revised Chiron gearbox again, that I made 3 studs shorter again) with V6.

- HOG steering through the T-cam and working steering wheel

- Pushrod suspension front, pullrod in the rear

- Had to sacrifice the driver's seat for a very basic gear selector mechanism due to lack of space elsewhere.

48769099931_6636396e7f_b.jpg20190921_135940 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48769099851_bc35e1ca50_b.jpg20190921_140038 by Appie NL, on Flickr

The point at which the nose goes from angled to flat is too far towards the front of the car compared to real life, as the curving point tends to be right above the axle of the wheels. I am aware of this, due to the suspension setup in that section this was the best I could do.

48769099786_606917b005_b.jpg20190921_140228 by Appie NL, on Flickr
The diffuser isn't looking too good from this angle, the only good angle is looking right into the rear of the car. Couldn't figure out a better one with the limited mounting options in that section and the diff+suspension.

48768767663_52376b6847_b.jpg20190921_140301 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48769099646_83f898aa07_b.jpg20190921_140342 by Appie NL, on Flickr

In case you were now going: This belly shot sucks! Got you covered! (pun intended :D)
48769099576_2cf77196fb_b.jpg20190921_140422 by Appie NL, on Flickr
I wanted to make a similar floor at first for my Rolls too, but dropped it because I am not going to be flipping that model very often to show the belly. And having to uncover it too after flipping, would be troublesome on that model.

48768767453_18de1d6df0_b.jpg20190921_140610 by Appie NL, on Flickr

Close-up of the pullrod suspension in the rear and my crappy DRS system. Due to lack of space to route some controls for DRS to the cockpit with a diff, suspension, V6 and gearbox blocking alot of the way, I opted for this instead.

48768767373_f9e1b33156_b.jpg20190921_140645 by Appie NL, on Flickr
Should have angled this pic more on the cockpit, but oh well. T-cam for HOG, yellow knob gear in the headrest is to flip the gears.

48769298822_f8ed19203c_b.jpg20190921_140956 by Appie NL, on Flickr
Since Red Bull is known for the rake they have on their cars I had to mimic that too. It's a small angle, but it's there and pretty close to real life I think.

In case you wonder, the car weighs about 1.7kg.

Edited by Appie

Looks amazing @Appie (already saw some WIP shots on t.net), my only gripe is the halo-bar thing, but that isnt your fault, just F1 making their cars looks like flip-flops :P

I wonder if in the current trend of lego doing huge branded cars, if we'll get a big F1 racer similar to this one

Thanks guys :)

As for the halo,I agree, they look like flip-flops, but I did consider it in the build to make it easy-ish to remove if I chose to go for the classic look later.

Great model, well done!

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

I wonder if in the current trend of lego doing huge branded cars, if we'll get a big F1 racer similar to this one

I was just thinking exactly that. I feel my F1 collection needs a new addition!

Great model! I'm impressed that you managed to get an 8 speed in there.

I'm intrigued by the pullrod suspension in the back. Care to elaborate on that?

Have you considered using darker shades of red and/or yellow? I did consider building a F1 car in Red Bull livery as well and I thought the yellow is a bit too bright.

Thank you all.

@Jeroen Ottens

Perhaps these pictures show it better, poor lighting so I cranked up the images to see the black parts well.

48771082092_384d45b618_b.jpgrearhub1 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48771081937_acc7edb0ec_b.jpgrearhub2 by Appie NL, on Flickr

The balljoint pin at the hub is locked into place from the bottom, since of course it has a tendancy to pop out otherwise. I used a 3L axle with stop and a bush. This creates the right height for the balljoint pin to be locked into place while still functioning for the suspension. See picture below:

48771081837_ded26e1860_b.jpgrearhub3 by Appie NL, on Flickr

Another goal I had with this car was to make hubs as flush with the (shallow) wheels as I could. So that's also a reason why it is build like this is and also why I don't have caster at the front suspension. At the front I couldn't figure out a way to mount balljoints from the hub to the wishbones without using suspension arm parts that are longer than I want.

As for the red and yellow, I haven't actually, I thought these were pretty close to the real deal, but perhaps the yellow from the 42099 would fit a little better? I don't think we get a darker red for the Technic parts I used. Could switch to a brick solution  for that of course, though that would cause problems at the front where the red liftarms are part of the structural integrity.

You did an outstanding job! :thumbup: I love the barge board area, and the nose is spot on considering the packaging limitations.

I have been struggling on and off the past few months with my own F1 project, and this is an inspiration to get working on it once more.

And hey LEGO, we need a new large-scale F1 set with staggered width rims and tires. Please.

Edited by therealjustin

Thanks all. 

9 hours ago, Raystafarian said:

That's really cool - what wheels/tires did you use?

These are from the BMW F1 car, set 8461.

Very cool F1 car in a refreshing color scheme :thumbup:!  The dark blue color is kind of inviting to build a Red Bull vehicle and the suggested red/yellow sections built of parts instead of stickers are very original. I like the suspension and especially the opening underbody - a feature I´d consider to implement at some point too. I´d prefer to see the narrow wheels from the 42000 set at the front to get more realistic, but then you´d have to paint the standard rims which of course would be a crime for a pure purist :grin:..

Edited by brunojj1

Thanks, I actually scaled the MOC on the front tyres, also for width edit: sorry this was wrong, I forgot what I exactly did there and just checked again. The rears are about one stud too narrow and the fronts are about 1 stud too thick. As for the 42000 tyres, I forgot about those until the car was almost finished and then I just decided to leave it as this. 

Edited by Appie