Gomek

Funny Dreams about Lego

I used to have this recurring dream about Lego. It would start with me finding a garbage pail full of Lego. Then I would think to myself that I must be dreaming because this is too good to be true. As I would slowing be coming out of the dream I'd hold onto the garbage pail for dear life, hoping to bring it back with me into the waking world (Because this line of logic makes a lot of sense when I'm dreaming).

Then I'd wake up with no more Lego than I went to bed with. :sad:

How does Lego manifest itself in your dreams?

I've had a recurring dream ever since I was about 10, maybe 11, where I'm in a large store (usually a big-box toy store, usually empty of other shoppers - sometimes a department store, sometimes busy), and it has shelves upon shelves of sealed copies of old retired sets (mostly 2001 Toa and 1999 Star Wars) being sold at or below their original retail price.  In the dream, it's tremendously exciting because I never thought I was going to be able to get those sets, but I'm never able to make it to the checkout line before the dream ends; when I wake up I'm disappointed to realize I didn't get that set after all.  I think these dreams have two primary roots.  First is my parents giving my brother the X-wing and me the Naboo Fighter in 1999 instead of the other way around, and second is my mom's attempt in 2002 to get us to promise never to buy Lego ever again because it's expensive and it was time to grow out of it, following which my brother and I basically begged our cousins (who had more pocket money) to buy the 2002 Toa for us.  That these dreams still persist is attributable, I think, to the way they encapsulate the general anxiety of the things one's always wanted being forever just out of reach.  If they were really about the Lego sets involved they should have stopped after I bought those sets on eBay ....

Edited by icm

Usually if I have a Lego dream, it's about how to solve a building problem from the day before. In my dream I figure out a solution. When I get up the in the morning, Yup: it works!!

Just now, icm said:

my parents giving my brother the X-wing and me the Naboo Fighter in 1999.

I might never forgive this, lol.

1 minute ago, icm said:

they encapsulate the general anxiety of the things one's always wanted being forever just out of reach.

This reminds me of another dream I've had where I go to huge store, and they have a set up of "rare" Lego figures that never came out behind a rope. And I stand there frozen, wanting desperately to stuff them in my pockets, and trying to figure out if they'll be missed (if taken). Same sort of just out reach anxiety.

A couple nights ago I had a dream in which next year's set catalog had leaked and there were pictures of an awesome starbase with a new 924-style spaceship.  Then last night it was a similar dream except they were new Arctic-styled sets.  Guess if I'm having these kinds of dreams I should get out of the house and get some more fresh air, huh?

This is really weird. I read this last night and thought 'dang I've never had a Lego dream' but this morning remembered I have had one and it was almost the same as OP. Finding a lot of great pieces and being like 'YES! these pieces are awesome I can do so much with these new pieces!' and the rest of the dream was about being obsessed with all my new Lego pieces and not losing them. I think its probably my subconscious telling me I have enough pieces and should probably stop.

Mine are mostly mundane: Making a great purchase or some new set/theme becoming available. Only to wake up and realise that it was all in my sleep; I did not purchase a certain set and/or the theme does not exist.

There is also the nifty one where ever minifig hair piece is made in every colour LEGO produce with and I have them all (bwahaha), but again, I wake up and realise that this is not a thing.

20 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

There is also the nifty one where ever minifig hair piece is made in every colour LEGO produce with and I have them all (bwahaha), but again, I wake up and realise that this is not a thing.

*huh* I would classify these as nightmares! :cry_sad:

This is a very nice topic - I did not believe that other people do dream about LEGOs at all ...

... well I am not sure whether I really "dream" about LEGO. But surely I sort of "think" about LEGO when going from being awake to sleep. I built a slightly larger version of Emmet's dream house - with bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, shower - keeping all the powerful engines. It allows me to just leave this crazy world ... for a moment, but this returning moment means a lot to me.

All the best,
Thorsten