MangaNOID

[WIP] Datsun 240Z… slight modular approach

The chassis is looking clean, but that steering linkage in the front seems to be pretty prone to sliding apart sideways, exactly the direction of the forces acting on it.

Also, what kind of geometry does the rear axle have? Is that independent, or something like trailing arms?

Looking good! It's nice to see models that try to make the chassis look realistic like that!

On 2/11/2024 at 8:52 PM, gyenesvi said:

but that steering linkage in the front seems to be pretty prone to sliding apart sideways, exactly the direction of the forces acting on it.

In theory yes, but the worm gear is clamped by 3 half bushes/liftarms on the weakest side and that requires quite a force to slip that many off an axle. 

img_4078.jpeg

img_4079.jpeg

But after you said this I did try to see if it could slip with force but no matter how hard I turned the steering, and also held the wheels from turning, nothing slipped. Well the weakest link seemed to be the 8T skipping on the worm gear sometimes. So I’m happy to carry on.

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

In theory yes, but the worm gear is clamped by 3 half bushes/liftarms on the weakest side and that requires quite a force to slip that many off an axle. 

I can believe that the worm gear is secured strong enough, but the weakest link to me seems the axle-pinhole connector 22961.png onto which the steering links are connected on both sides. Nothing holds that in there in a form locked way. Interesting that that hasn't moved out in your tests, probably it also depends on how new the parts are, maybe over time it can get more loose.. But yeah, I can also imagine that in a manual model that you only play occasionally on flat surface it won't really make a difference.

Yep, it sure does look like an amateur setup now you mention it. It works but… maybe I’ll take another look at the setup. Surely I have a few more skills building than I did 3 1/2 years ago 😅 to come up with something better.