Lego David

Should LEGO Star Wars take a break?

At this point, Star Wars got so repetitive, that at this point, it feels like every set released is just a updated version of the same space ships. There is almost nothing new. Just the same Millenium Falcon which we have gotten 10 times already. I think that after the Episode 9 sets release, it should take a break. Not be canceled for good, just take a break of 2-3 years. I don't think that would do any harm. Plus, it might allow the designers to come up with new design ideas, so they don't just keep spamming the same sets over and over again. 

What do you think? Should LEGO Star Wars take a break after the Episode 9 wave? Or just keep going without ever stopping?

They will never stop because why would they want to make less money? Star Wars is like its 4th biggest IP in terms of revenue so stopping any production of sets would be a terrible idea money wise. Maybe lego will slow down the amount of sets or make smaller waves but if there is an audience there will always be a market and I don't see any reason lego would stop given all the new Star Wars content. 

1 hour ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

given all the new Star Wars content. 

Well yeah, but the new Star Wars content is about to slow down after Episode 9 leaves the theaters... 

4 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Well yeah, but the new Star Wars content is about to slow down after Episode 9 leaves the theaters... 

We might not get any more movies but we're got the Mandalorian, Clone Wars Season 7 just on the horizon and Cassian Andor and Kenobi show and the new DnD trilogy in a two or more years. Lego Star Wars has always been going strong even just after episode 3 when we thought that Star Wars was dead and George Lucas didn't want to do anything because of the backlash which was one of the driest few years until the clone wars. 

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

At this point, Star Wars got so repetitive, that at this point, it feels like every set released is just a updated version of the same space ships. There is almost nothing new. Just the same Millenium Falcon which we have gotten 10 times already. I think that after the Episode 9 sets release, it should take a break. Not be canceled for good, just take a break of 2-3 years. I don't think that would do any harm. Plus, it might allow the designers to come up with new design ideas, so they don't just keep spamming the same sets over and over again. 

What do you think? Should LEGO Star Wars take a break after the Episode 9 wave? Or just keep going without ever stopping?

Technically the LEGO Star Wars theme should be taking what I see to be a "break" for 2020, 2021, and the first half of 2022 during which there'll be no additional cinematic installments released for then. It shouldn't necessarily a break as much as it'll maybe be just a scale-back in output, hopefully making some wiggle-room for at least one new in-house Space theme in the same way the cinematic dry spell between 2005 and 2015 gave us four different in-house Space themes alongside Star Wars. :classic:

1 minute ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Technically the LEGO Star Wars theme should be taking what I see to be a "break" for 2020, 2021, and the first half of 2022 during which there'll be no additional cinematic installments released for then. It shouldn't necessarily a break as much as it'll maybe be just a scale-back in output, hopefully making some wiggle-room for at least one new in-house Space theme in the same way the cinematic dry spell between 2005 and 2015 gave us four different in-house Space themes alongside Star Wars. :classic:

My god you love space themes!

15 minutes ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

My god you love space themes!

Everyone loves Space Themes. And Star Wars is holding them back. That is why it needs a break.

Edited by Lego David

Just now, Lego David said:

And Star Wars is holding them back. That is why it needs a break.

Like I'd said, in-house Space themes and Star Wars can coexist alongside each other, though historically the former seem to take a leave-of-absence during the advent of a developing  cinematic trilogy on Star Wars' part.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I think the exact opposite is true, considering how divisive the ST has been (so far). The Mandalorian seems to have broader appeal (so far), people have been wanting an Obi-Wan series for decades, and then there is more content including games. There is a good chance those bring back old fans, and then we will see a massive wave of Disney stuff trying to get their money once more.

Also, don't forget the prequels. People who grew up with the prequels are beginning to enter AFOL age and might be a notable group in a few years. And there are many, many possible sets coming from the PT that have not been done in ages (AT-OT was 10 years ago!), or not at all (SPHA-T, UT-AT).

There'll always be more Star Wars.

If something is making a company money they will continue to sell it. Star Wars is no exception. You may think designs are getting repetitive but it’s those designs that are selling best among the core audience (kids). As mention above there’s a a lot of new material coming in that Lego can base sets off. 

34 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Everyone loves Space Themes. And Star Wars is holding them back. That is why it needs a break.

Space Police 3, Galaxy Wars, Mars Mission. Hasn’t there been a whole wave of a Space sets released this year? Granted they were part of the City line but still.

I don't mind if Lego continues to sell Star Wars sets forever.  

My chief complaint is that Lego appears to prioritize Star Wars at the expense of more creative, in-house Lego SciFi space themes.  

11 minutes ago, hagridshut said:

My chief complaint is that Lego appears to prioritize Star Wars at the expense of more creative, in-house Lego SciFi space themes.  

Totally valid and I agree, but I'm sure from TLG's perspective Star Wars is much more of a seller, and will be for the foreseeable future. 

"issh"
the best example would be A/X-Wings and the king of them all: Snowspeeder. The question is, why all these re-releases, and why no propper updates? The current snowspeeder design was always oversized and never accurate. Similar with the X-Wing; they still used this "stiff & blocky " nose - even for the sequel ones; though all X-Wings have much more curved designs.

We are not the market. Lego conducts surveys; and depending on media content as well as other factors, children apparently want another X-Wing, Snowspeeder, A-Wing Fighter, Falcon and so on. And since the current designs are meeting Lego's standards already; why update them? Im sure some designers have amazing designs hidden somewhere. But they are not for a broader audience. It is not profitable to focus on AFOLs; at least not until a certain price (UCS).

So please answer me: why should Lego listen to tiny part of their audience?

What is interesting though is; that SW sales (at least what I've heared from several sources) have declined a lot, since recent movies failed to connect with children. Ep7 made a huge impact but the investments and expectations seem to have been much higher; especially for raising children as fans who will stay loyal for years. You can condemn our time as well as the lack of quality of the products (mostly the movies) for this. We live in an interesting time: the OT era was much more adult; they didn't get childish until Ewoks and Han's ressurection as well as the product placement of the Millenium Falcon. But still these movies had imense impact on children. Today you have a considerable audience in adults for all them movies who share the same concepts; Marvel or SW. So we have more adults buying merch; but they are still not enough to replace children who consume the products; but not to the crazy extent as before.

Interestingly SW has made very bad financial choices; like the over-investments in toy market. I think SW Rebels could have gained a much larger audience if advertised and invested in properly. I personally can ignore many bad things but I understand how people got turned off by the much reduced quality (animation), compared to Clone Wars. And Clone was did manage to create a loyal fanbase of children and ALOFs for many years. It declined in the end and it was never as high as Ep9; but it was asteady market for Lego and the licence.

So I hope they learned from their mistakes and bring something new with the Mandalorian.
As for us AFOL's we'll maybe get more interesting designs from these shows also. If Rebels would have been more successful; they had great ship designs.

A last point: I still don't understand why Lego doesnt bring out something specific for us AFOL's. The UCS sets count maybe; but why leave a market for costume figures and MOC's; and not diving into this market a bit themselves? Imagine you could get Brickvault style moc's as well as CMF style figures officially from Lego. Im sure this would be profitable; if done by Lego themselves.

another point is that there are always new people getting into the theme. Whether they are just becoming old enough to play with LEGOs, or they are coming out of their "dark age". While we can complain all we want about it. I would be afraid if they gave us everything the fans/collectors asked for, the brand would become fatigued a lot quicker and could ruin sales in the long run.  Just because you have an x-wing or multiple Millennium Falcons, doesn't mean that some else has them, and would like am opportunity to buy one.   

A break? No. Diversify the source material stuff they're releasing? Absoloutely. The film release gap would be perfect to go back and redo some older stuff or go back and revisit stuff they missed out on. 

Well, I doubt LEGO will take a "break" or slow down on product output in the next couple of years due to the number of SW shows coming out next year. But let's say there was a period of no new content from SW. LEGO is not going to stop putting out sets (look at the period between ep. 3 and ep. 7) since SW brings in a great amount of profit, but most likely they will not push as hard as LEGO has been throughout the few years. And possibly LEGO might feel encouraged to make some "unconventional" sets rather than repeats. Also, as @Digger of Bricks said, LEGO might make a space theme to spice it up. But whatever the case, whether there are no movies or shows or nothing SW content coming out, I highly doubt LEGO will take a break from making sets, but instead will slightly decrease there output, as there will always be a market for it. 

25 minutes ago, AManofNoConsequence said:

A break? No. Diversify the source material stuff they're releasing? Absoloutely. The film release gap would be perfect to go back and redo some older stuff or go back and revisit stuff they missed out on. 

That's exactly my hope. These last few years coincided with my getting out of my dark age, but it also meant that one wave every three -give or take- was focused on the sequels, which I did not really enjoy. I'd love for LEGO to finally have the breather time to give us sets not forcibly based on the new movies and maybe revisit the prequel era, which was a bit lacking these last few years in my opinion, which has loads of potential for new sets or wanted remakes. Same thing goes for certain parts of the OT era, and before somebody bites my head off I know and love the fact that there always should be an X-wing or Falcon on shelves -I finally got an upgrade to my 7140 this year, with 75218- but please LEGO, if you have to keep making the same T-47 Snowspeeder over and over again give us someone other than Luke and Dak flying it :D

So, long story short, I don't think Lego Star Wars should take a break only because there won't be any theatrical release in the next few years, and we all know that neither Disney NOR Lego would give up on the potential revenue new sets could bring in the meantime.

Well, as Lego Star Wars as a combination is a pretty big part of my life, I hope it will go on forever.

I am a mocer so I dont care about the sets anyway, but I do care about the steady source of new figures and our hobby culture around it active and well.

I agree they could do tricks to improve the quality of the sets as others pointed out, the same design for e.g. the snowspeeder for the past 20 years is just lazy and dull.

- Samppu

I see Star Wars to be like the superheroes stories, they have been with us since 1950 more or less. There are always new children and adults jumping in. As far as they continue to be popular I see no reason for Lego not creating sets for them. The point is creating better, more playable and more accurate sets over time, which has been the case mostly.

Lego has done sets around the original trilogy nonstop for 20 years now - I see no reason at all why they would or should stop.

Episode 9 is to be supported until mid 2020, followed by multiple TV/streaming shows for years to come. Add more stuff from the original trilogy, Clone Wars and the prequels, and I have no illusions about Lego SW slowing down in the next five or so years.

It is not what I want, just what I expect. :thumbdown:

12 minutes ago, dvogon said:

The point is creating better, more playable and more accurate sets over time, which has been the case mostly.

Most of the new sets have little to no improvement over their predecessors. Heck, with some of them you can't even tell what's the difference.

Edited by Lego David

On 9/21/2019 at 7:47 PM, Lego David said:

Most of the new sets have little to no improvement over their predecessors. Heck, with some of them you can't even tell what's the difference.

The new Falcon is a big improvement over the 2015 one and the kessel run one. the proportions are more accurate and theres no gaps