koalayummies

[MOC] The Tubinare, privateering catamaran...

On 9/21/2019 at 10:14 AM, Aliencat said:

That is so cool! I love the catamaran design!

Thanks Aliencat, I've always been intrigued by multi-hull vessels and thought why not make a pirate-themed one!

On 9/23/2019 at 7:47 AM, carebear said:

Love Love this!

- The way you made sails are just right!

Greetings!

Thanks Carebear, the sails were critical to the build and it was nearly abandoned until that sail-plan.

On 9/23/2019 at 12:33 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a fantastic diorama ...I love that little island and the skeleton with the key in the hand!:pir-wub:

Very well done! :thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah I felt it needed something more than just the boat. Poor guy abandoned in paradise.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:15 AM, _TLG_ said:

Nice, I like the sails and the water visalisation especially!

Thank TLG, the scattered tiles felt like short cutting it but having enough pieces for fully-constructed water is a bit cost prohibitive. Glad it works as a representation.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:12 PM, Thedarkmaster2 said:

A great different approach to the pirate aesthetic 

It really has an oriental look

Thanks! Yeah definitely different from western aesthetics; I almost went with a "junk-rigged" sail plan but didn't want too much a Destiny's Bounty feel.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:33 AM, Aurore said:

Both the ship and the tiny island are wonderful! :wub:
I really love the little details, such as the potted plant and dog on the ship...

Thanks Aurore! Yeah they need some companionship during long stretches at sea.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:21 AM, GeoBrick said:

Instead of "Pirates of the Caribean", its all "Pirates of the Polynesean" here!

Well done! :jollyroger:

Thanks! Yeah it was a really organic build so I guess I subconsciously took inspiration from a number of vessels and aesthetics.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:50 AM, Anders T said:

Very cool MOC

For me it has some Post-apocalyptic or steampunk thing going on.

This is mostly because of the kind of makeshift style of the hull. Actually a very clean build.

-And the guns that look kind of “machiny”

Thanks Anders T. Yeah I can see that aesthetic, the hull build was really just spur of the moment and getting outside my normal styles. Glad you like it!

On 10/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, Maxim I said:

Awesome job with the sails! The cannons are also top notch and I love all the details you put in this MOC!

Thanks Maxim! Yeah I felt it needed some armament but thought the big minifigure scale canons would cause it to lose buoyancy :laugh:

On 1/8/2020 at 8:22 AM, Fairfang said:

nice pirate-catamaran. So many details in such a small space.

Thanks Fairfang!

On 8/4/2021 at 9:37 AM, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

What a nice Catamaran! :pir-love:

Thanks friend!

On 8/5/2021 at 3:35 AM, jan kusters said:

Great design and build! Quite unusual, and it looks great. Lovely detail, interesting sail plan and a very nice island as well. This would make a great set!

Thanks! Yeah I went with more of the lots-of-smaller-pieces for texturing approach and hoped I didn't overdo it. Thanks for the kind words!

On 8/5/2021 at 7:21 AM, NOD said:

Great idea and a beautiful and extraordinary ship.

Thank you NOD!

6 hours ago, Garmadon said:

I don't recall ever having seen a pirate catamaran before, and now I'm wondering why! :pir-grin:  Lovely work, those sails are great (the stripes are perfect!), and the texture on the catamarans works really nice too.  Add to that just the right amount of activity, the scene, and some awesome presentation and you've got yourself something special, mate!  Great stuff! :pir-sweet:

Thanks Garmadon! Yeah I wanted to do something different. Was considering a trimaran but didn't want to be too Waterworld-y. You are far too kind, thank you!

6 hours ago, thewatchman said:

Absolutely perfect set, masterfully built vessel and island. So inspired and those sails are simply perfect!

Thank you all so much. Far too kind. I'm glad you all enjoy it and I hope it inspires everyone to make their own pirate themed creations!

This looks really cool, great concept and effective shaping, especially on the sails!

On 11/24/2021 at 9:00 AM, koalayummies said:

Thank you all so much. Far too kind. I'm glad you all enjoy it and I hope it inspires everyone to make their own pirate themed creations!

So the big question is... what of yourself? Have you created any more brilliant LEGO Pirate MOCs or have you peaked with this catamaran? :pir-grin:

On 11/24/2021 at 6:15 AM, Kai NRG said:

This looks really cool, great concept and effective shaping, especially on the sails!

Thanks Kai. Brick sails can be tricky to pull off convincingly so I'm glad you like that result.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:52 PM, Mister Phes said:

So the big question is... what of yourself? Have you created any more brilliant LEGO Pirate MOCs or have you peaked with this catamaran? :pir-grin:

It appears as though I've peaked! :pir-bawling: Lots of ideas but no time to build. Need you to take the ship's wheel; I'm going overboard! :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by koalayummies

6 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Lots of ideas but no time to build.

Aye, time is a limiting factor. One I'm facing meself!